GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone takin the fairing off and converted from anF to an S? Just wondering if it could be done with just ordering the stock parts.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I can't answer your question, but if it could be done it would probably be quite expensive. Besides the side fairings, there's a lot that would have to be changed up front. Also on the standard, some parts that show (like the radiator) are black anodized where it's hidden and bare metal on the F. Might be just as cheap to trade for a naked.

You may want to take a gander at this thread where I asked about pics of an F with the fairings removed. You might could do some comparisons.

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-appearance-modifications/33810-pics-f-fairings-removed.html

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would not attempt it. I dont think they are compatable, especially considering the part of the triple clamp that the nose is bolted to.

Or..... you could just take it all off and call it a Street Fighter!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does look like a lot of trouble. I really wanted a naked but i got my F so cheap I couldnt pass it up. I have already started modding it so I guess i will keep it for a while.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It does look like a lot of trouble. I really wanted a naked but i got my F so cheap I couldnt pass it up. I have already started modding it so I guess i will keep it for a while.
coz suzuki thought people would want the F they made more, but really the way to go was the naked .
So the F models were desperately discounted, hey it's ugly but the bones are good

·
Registered
53 Posts
coz suzuki thought people would want the F they made more, but really the way to go was the naked .
So the F models were desperately discounted, hey it's ugly but the bones are good
I would have my F over a reg supersport / sore back/ wrist & knees anyday. The naked doesnt provide enuff wind protection anyway.

If you brought a naked and put a windscreen on it, then, you are impersonating a F model :-D

·
Registered
161 Posts
The bikes are the same obviously except for the front plastics and the F model has an additional 10ml of oil in front forks. Cost-wise it would run $1862.04 total amount

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
The bikes are the same obviously except for the front plastics and the F model has an additional 10ml of oil in front forks. Cost-wise it would run $1862.04 total amount
You are almost correct. Slightly incorrect! There is also a shim stack in the front forks of the F model.

If you convert it to a naked, you will have to remove the shim stack from inside each fork. If you don't, the front of the bike will be higher than a stock naked model. And it will ride a lot rougher and handle terribly.

So add the cost of removing the shim and levelling off the fork oil.

So as you can see, its not worth doing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You are almost correct. Slightly incorrect! There is also a shim stack in the front forks of the F model.

If you convert it to a naked, you will have to remove the shim stack from inside each fork. If you don't, the front of the bike will be higher than a stock naked model. And it will ride a lot rougher and handle terribly.

interesting this is the first Ive heard anything about a shim stack where are you getting this information? Only asking because I see no reference to shims in the fork rebuild section of factory service manual. As for handling I've been riding my F model without fairings, front cowling or headlight for the past month and havent noticed any difference in handling.

post #7 of 8

·
Registered
161 Posts

Interesting this is the first I've heard anything about a shim stack, where are you getting this information? Asking because I don't see any reference to them in the factory service manual nor a part number online. As for the handling I've been riding my F model with without fairings, front cowl or headlight for over a month and bike still corners like its on rails.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Suspension difference is unlikely to be anything more than minimal.

As you can tell, both models have their "fan base". Maybe advertise and find anyone with a naked looking to trade for an F and give you a few $$$? ;) (the F is more expensive) Hopefully, your current mods fit the naked too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting this is the first I've heard anything about a shim stack, where are you getting this information? Asking because I don't see any reference to them in the factory service manual nor a part number online. As for the handling I've been riding my F model with without fairings, front cowl or headlight for over a month and bike still corners like its on rails.
Were you in a wreck? Also, pics?

·
Registered
434 Posts

Naked street fighter has been suggested!! You really should go for that look. This bike would be killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just wait and check for parts off of used bikes. They'll turn up soon enough. Ebay for sure. Just keep it for a while and wait for parts to surface. Or street fighter!! Yeah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts