GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil. I noticed a whitish film on the underside of the plug and the sightglass (pictures attached). My warranty ran out in August, according to the dealer (no extended warranty). I wiped off the plug. What is pictured after driving about 20 miles (round trip) with brand new oil. The old oil looked black like used oil, not like chocolate milk. The coolant overflow still has a little coolant in the bottom. I do not remember if it is lower or not.

I only rode once since changing oil. Not sure what to do now. My quandry is, should I ride and if the coolant level goes down, then pull the head? Pull it now? Or, could it be the water pump?

Looking for opinions. Anybody else had a head gasket or maybe water pump, contaminate oil?

Cheers, and happy holidays!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Apart from being a new 2019 F owner I've had a 2006 K6 for the last 12years (42K). Always had moisture on the glass etc (in winter especially) and it disappeared after a decent run. I even bought a set of seals for the water pump in anticipation of the worst! 🤣 Never lost any coolant.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had the same problem on an old Triumph Bonneville years ago. The cause was too many short trips which didn’t allow the engine to get hot enough to burn off the moisture. It takes a good 10 miles to warm up the engine on a fairly cold day.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Yeah looks like it’s not getting hot enough. I recently opened my starter clutch cover and it was dripping with the same stuff.

I asked my tech about it and he said it’s normal moisture as there’s empty space for there to be an “atmosphere” so water mixes and badda bing badda boom you get that.

The fix is just simply give the bike a decent run, use the Rev range, get it up to temperature for a solid 30-60 minutes etc.

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
Yup its quite normal, especially in colder climates, when you stop the engine hot, the heat attracts moisture thru the crankcase ventilation, as it cools, it drips into the oil, new oil has plenty of additives to deal with this, BUT i do want to make people aware of the engines internal plugs that keep coolant from eng oil, they are in the top of the cyl head, under the camshafts, if you live in regions that freeze, try to keep your bike inside, as these internal frost bungs can pressurise through freezing , fail and cause engine oil to be contaminated with coolant, this will destroy your engine quickly if operated in such condition, as the oil is unable to provide the barrier between the rotating journals and engine bearings, its easy to see if you check the sight glass , as it turns your oil to milk, or thru low coolant level, so just a "heads up" for those who live in those area's that freeze regularly, one way to prevent it is to increase the coolant mixture strength to 50/50 , that mesns it will require even lower temps to freeze the fluids inside your engine

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I even bought a set of seals for the water pump
Good point. Will need to check the manual to see what parts and what is involved. Thinking that, and maybe head gasket, if riding it does not clear things up.
looks like oil additive to me white is moisture additives turn to white paste
I did not have an issue last year when I rode in the cold, though. Hence my concern.
It takes a good 10 miles to warm up the engine on a fairly cold day.
Yep, my commute is not quite that far.
one way to prevent it is to increase the coolant mixture strength to 50/50
Good info in the post @temporarykiwi, thanks. You have shared a lot of good info on the forum.

Will update if any change. Was out of town, and just got back. Checking up on messages now. Was not sure if I should ride it or not. I will try going on a ride to make sure to get up to temperature, once the temps go up, and see if that gets rid of the stuff on the fill plug and sigh glass. In the teens (Fahrenheit) right now here in the US midwest (Illinois). Will be driving the truck for the near future.:)

Thanks to all the responses.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
537 Posts
ride the bike for longer more regularly

i lost my licensed & the bike was sitting for 9 months , i had the same worries as you.

4k miles later the bike is fine & after the bike is warm I can see the milky residue depleted & condensation on the sight glass

at present my bike is running better than it ever has since I've had it

Your bike should be ok

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
155 Posts
Good point. Will need to check the manual to see what parts and what is involved. Thinking that, and maybe head gasket, if riding it does not clear things up.

I did not have an issue last year when I rode in the cold, though. Hence my concern.

Yep, my commute is not quite that far.

Good info in the post @temporarykiwi, thanks. You have shared a lot of good info on the forum.

Will update if any change. Was out of town, and just got back. Checking up on messages now. Was not sure if I should ride it or not. I will try going on a ride to make sure to get up to temperature, once the temps go up, and see if that gets rid of the stuff on the fill plug and sigh glass. In the teens (Fahrenheit) right now here in the US midwest (Illinois). Will be driving the truck for the near future.:)

Thanks to all the responses.
A mechanic and friend told me once, when riding, try real hard to take at least a 20 mile ride. Should warm everything up and up keep moisture away. Has worked for me since 1982.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
791 Posts
lot of times is bike is stored

it can happen to any oil thats a debate in itself car oil motorcycle oil
Yep oils is a strange one that’s for sure.
I remember when we where kids we used to use castrol Gtx oil in our Honda 4s never had a problem.
But I used it in a 650 Kat and that used to get condensation in the oil site glass and I used to ride that bike to work 50mins and 50mins back home 6 days a week plus it was air cooled engine so it was a weird one.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Yep oils is a strange one that’s for sure.
I remember when we where kids we used to use castrol Gtx oil in our Honda 4s never had a problem.
But I used it in a 650 Kat and that used to get condensation in the oil site glass and I used to ride that bike to work 50mins and 50mins back home 6 days a week plus it was air cooled engine so it was a weird one.
LOL - ya people run diesel oil in a gas engine with a wet clutch and say its okay - even though the oil standard sj sl are specifically for gasoline engines..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts