GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , after a ride out over the holidays checked the coolant level and its low not worryingly so but just below the lower level . Checked it again next day to confirm . I'm thinking the level on a 1200 mile bike shouldn't drop ? I never had to top up my k5 in 2 years , 5k miles . Supplying dealer workshop not back till 2mrw , just wondered what we think on here ? Also bike seems to rely heavily on the cooling fan , is this just a product of the lean running euro 4 set up ? It's never gone above normal ?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
usually im to busy riding to notice if fan is running....few times in traffic and didnt stay there for long never goes over 3 lines....chances are when you top it off again level will stay there

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi all , after a ride out over the holidays checked the coolant level and its low not worryingly so but just below the lower level . Checked it again next day to confirm . I'm thinking the level on a 1200 mile bike shouldn't drop ? I never had to top up my k5 in 2 years , 5k miles . Supplying dealer workshop not back till 2mrw , just wondered what we think on here ? Also bike seems to rely heavily on the cooling fan , is this just a product of the lean running euro 4 set up ? It's never gone above normal ?

I don't think it's the lean running for the fan coming on but rather the characteristics of the engine and the fan cut in setpoint, mine has been tuned to pretty much 13.2 afr and it still comes on often when slow riding in traffic or when I'm idling at lights, as soon as I get moving it cuts out and it has since day 1, it just needs airflow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not overly worried as its still under warranty . But in the first few hundred miles it showed witness marks of coolant round the bottom hose , only minuscule but I stopped in at the dealer and they looked the whole system over and ran it through a few heat cycles , so I think it's worth them looking at it just to keep them in the loop . As above its never shown more than 3 bars . I'd like to of seen an actual temp read out on it rather than bars . Guess they'd call they progress ! 😀

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I first got my bike, I noted that the coolant level in the reservoir tank was very slightly below the low mark. Did I want to spend the money to get a full container of Suzuki coolant only to need an ounce or so to top up? No. I topped up with distilled water. Mixing distilled water with the coolant is generally not to be done because it can decrease the efficiency of the coolant but what I had to put in the reservoir was such a ridiculously minute amount, it was not of concern. Here in South Florida, where it is absolutely positively hotter than camel balls, I did not run into any difficulties with the bike not cooling properly. Obviously, you want to keep an eye on your coolant levels just as you should every other fluid level but based on what you have typed, I would not say that you have a major problem.

Remember that the cooling systems should be drained, flushed and refilled with new coolant every two years. Suzuki claims that if their Suzuki super coolant or whatever they call it is used, then the intervals are either three or four years. I don't remember. I have to research that but draining, Flushing and refilling a system is so easy I will probably just stick to it every two years. It is also another way to get in the bike and keep an eye out for anything that may be a problem

·
Registered
680 Posts
I suppose. Oil I'm changing often no matter synth or conventional. Coolant, meh. The blue goes almost 4x the miles, so I suppose it depends if you put on a lot of miles or not, and your tolerance for spending money vs spending time doing maintenance. The blue is like 4x the price of green.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Blue is the synthetic of antifreeze? Oh, now you did it, STOCK! This thread will end up as about 50 pages of the great antifreeze debate. Like oil.

I don't think the color alone is an indicator of an antifreeze that lasts longer, at least in the motorcycle realm anyway. If that were the case, then Engine Ice would be one. So Suzuki's four year is called super long life coolant and is blue. Their standard coolant is called long life coolant. It's green. What's the difference? Beside the color and "super"? MSDS seems to show levels of ethylene and dietheylene glycol as about the same. Perhaps there's a "super" ingredient I missed.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Blue is the synthetic of antifreeze? Oh, now you did it, STOCK! This thread will end up as about 50 pages of the great antifreeze debate. Like oil.

I don't think the color alone is an indicator of an antifreeze that lasts longer, at least in the motorcycle realm anyway. If that were the case, then Engine Ice would be one. So Suzuki's four year is called super long life coolant and is blue. Their standard coolant is called long life coolant. It's green. What's the difference? Beside the color and "super"? MSDS seems to show levels of ethylene and dietheylene glycol as about the same. Perhaps there's a "super" ingredient I missed.
im waiting for the super duper pooper long life to come out

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes sorry I was talking Suzuki specific coolant when referring to blue and green and manufacturer recommendations, take a leak into your reservoir and run it 100k for all I care.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok , spoke to workshop at dealers today . They're not expecting a problem but are gonna have it in over 24 hours to check it hot and stone cold and run it through a few heat cycles in light of the previous issue where it showed witness marks of a leak . I'm gonna leave it with then Saturday to Saturday as that's easier for me and I don't need it for now , I'll report back any findings , in the meantime enjoy ur futile ramblings about coolant Color , I like the pink and yellow striped stuff 😀🏍

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
if i where to drain old coolant out of the s...how would that be done....disconnect lower Rad hose..or is there a drain plug..thank
just watched some youtube vids...the double flush looks like overkill...cant see a dealer doing the double flush those low life bastxard ....wont have to do it for another year who has done it here

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've done it on about a dozen different machines but not this one. Haven't had it long enough yet.
I do know that no, there isn't a drain plug on the Suzuki's water pump apparently and there is a bleed valve on the thermostat housing to help facilitate proper bleeding. As for flushing, I've done regular cooling system service on my other bikes and I flush the systems once each service. I have helped others with their bikes and in two cases, the systems had not been serviced in ten years. We flushed those three times.

·
Registered
541 Posts

TLDR: the difference in super long is likely additives that extend the life of the glycols.

The "anti" freezing (also boiling) aspect of coolant is simply related to the solute concentration in the water. The glycols are chosen for this since they also act as emulsifiers (helps water and oil mix). The solute concentration from the glycols does not significantly degrade over a matter of years. It certainly doesn't change to the point of being a concern for proper temperature management under most operational conditions. The reason having emulsifiers is desirable is because you can add other substances like lubricants and corrosion inhibitors. However, even though the increased temperature range associated with antifreeze doesn't change too much, the glycols actually oxidize into corrosive chemicals over time. Another additive (quite possible what makes "super" long life) class is pH buffers. A pH buffer will help prevent oxidized additives from becoming too corrosive, as well as (to a smaller degree) slow the oxidation. Even though the temperature range associated with coolant won't change much, the chemicals that form as the glycols oxidize may have lower thermal mass (they hold less heat). Many additives will also become less effective as the glycols no longer act as emulsifiers, some precipitating out and become suspensions rather than solutions, further reducing the effective thermal mass of the coolant. This ultimately leads to a sort of diminishing returns on longevity. Additives can only reduce the rate of oxidation, not completely prevent it, the oxidation reduces the concentration of dissolved additives, which increases the rate of oxidation. In some liquid cooled PC systems, people have experimented with long life stable fluids like mineral spirits, but this requires a very high efficiency heat exchanger as the thermal mass of just about everything that's safe is lower than water. Consider the size and tempertaure of a cpu vs the size of radiators used, and consider the size and temperature of an engine compared to radiator sizes, mineral oil simply wouldn't cut it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like this turned into a science class for many and varied types of coolant . Anyhoo , anyone interested in the original post , i picked my bike up yesterday from the dealer , they had it all week ( it was easier for me that way ) and ran it through a few heat cycles . They have declared it fit and well ( as i thought they would ) and asked me to report back with any future concerns and to keep an eye on it . Im sure it'll be fine , but as it's still under warranty i think it was worth them getting involved .

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ok , spoke to workshop at dealers today . They're not expecting a problem but are gonna have it in over 24 hours to check it hot and stone cold and run it through a few heat cycles in light of the previous issue where it showed witness marks of a leak . I'm gonna leave it with then Saturday to Saturday as that's easier for me and I don't need it for now , I'll report back any findings , in the meantime enjoy ur futile ramblings about coolant Color , I like the pink and yellow striped stuff

Mines been running the original coolant for the last 21k miles and hasn’t lost a drop. The fan does come on a lot quicker and more often than my previous bikes but as it’s doing its job and has never over heated even in some of this summers heat and worst traffic I haven’t worried about it.
Hopefully yours is just a little seep from the connector you found and your problems will be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts