GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I have owned many other makes and models of bikes and have found Corbin's to be the best seat for me. I love them. Some people hate them. Nevertheless, more options for this new and wonderful bike are needed!!!

Looking for help from anyone that would appreciate a superior seating option for their GSX-S1000 or GSX-S1000F. If you have had a positive experience with Corbin Seats on your former motorcycles I am asking as many willing GSX-S Army members as possible, to take a few minutes and fill-out this simple request form.

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Product Requests | 800-538-7035

Once Corbin gets enough interest, they will add the GSX-S1000 model to their development plan and will move forward.

Thanks and ride safe!!

The MF'r from Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA, North America, Planet Earth.........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seat is fine. Maybe your arse is the problem?
Actually the seat is not fine but, yes, my arse and back contribute to the situation as well! Try doing 800 (plus) miles days on any seat is a challenge for me in my present condition. Nevertheless, I have found--over and over again--Corbin does indeed make huge difference.

IMG_8758 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've had a few Corbins in the past. What I don't like about them is that they bring you down and back and that changes the geometry and weight distribution on the bike and changes the handling design. Every time you hit the gas, you slide to the furthest rearward spot on the bike. And they're made out of leather, that does not fair well in water. They make them out of leather to satisfy the old cruiser Harley crowd. After several failed attempts to like them, I finally concluded that I hate them. I'll never buy another one. They are not seats for sport bikes. They are seats for cruisers and tourers.

Sargent makes seats ergonomically designed for sport bikes Motorcycle Seats - Sargent Seats - Aftermarket Motorcycle Seats

You can send them your OEM seat out and they will rebuild the seat with their closed cell foam and gel any way you want.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had a few Corbins in the past. What I don't like about them is that they bring you down and back and that changes the geometry and weight distribution on the bike and changes the handling design. Every time you hit the gas, you slide to the furthest rearward spot on the bike. And they're made out of leather, that does not fair well in water. They make them out of leather to satisfy the old cruiser Harley crowd. After several failed attempts to like them, I finally concluded that I hate them. I'll never buy another one. They are not seats for sport bikes. They are seats for cruisers and tourers.

Sargent makes seats ergonomically designed for sport bikes Motorcycle Seats - Sargent Seats - Aftermarket Motorcycle Seats

You can send them your OEM seat out and they will rebuild the seat with their closed cell foam and gel any way you want.

I am with you on many of your points. Since I am truly a long distance rider first and sport rider second I have to stick with the super firm foam and more breathable leather of the Corbin. I love the looks and design of Sargent Seats but their atomic cell foam is a little under-sprung from me. I tried a Sargent for just shy of 10000 miles on my GSA. It seemed great at first but then I started getting lower back pain after 3 to 4 hours in to a ride. If I was going to just ride twisties and keep saddle time under a couple hours at a time I would most likely go with Sargent or similar.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Done.
Had Corbin on my (ex)B-King.
Really nice and a huuuge upgrade from the OEM "torture-rack" :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next part of this effort to get a Corbin Seat for everyone to enjoy is to find a GSX-S Owner that resides in the Central/Northern California area that is willing to leave their Suzy in Hollister with Corbin for several weeks to allow the R & D of the new seat tooling.
I know, I know--that is really a tall order!

For anyone interested in doing so, Corbin will provide you with a free seat when all is done--custom just for you as a gesture for your kindness to the entire GSX-S Army! Just call 800-223-4332 and tell them you are willing to help. They are looking to make things happen in Feb. I would do this in a heart beat but I live in Florida. No kidding!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Corbin's customer service is horrible. Just google it. They treated me like crap on my Nighthawk 750 years ago. I also agree their seats are way more cruiser oriented. Sargent seats are great! Loved the one on my Z1000.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am aware of the many issues many people have had with Corbin Customer Service over the years. Those facts notwithstanding, I have had acceptable service from Corbin as well as many others. As for the "Cruiser" aspect; you can order a Corbin seat with many material options available to suit ones taste. I happen to pick leather over vinyl because I am an all day in the saddle rider and the leather provides me with breath-ability comfort. They do a great job sealing it so soaking up water is not as horrible as some have stated. Yes, if you park it overnight in a steady rain it will wick some water. But riding thru a storm does not result in a massive sponge under your ass!

Here is an example of what I did with my Street Triple seat and it is not quite Cruiser!!

IMG_0536 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0538 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0539 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_0543 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

Reactions: Lasse

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm moving to California pretty soon - not necessarily that close to Corbin, but for a free seat I'll consider trailering my bike up there. That is, if I don't get the Saddlemen seat before then and like it.

Sargent doesn't offer a seat for this bike, and they don't offer much for late model Suzuki sport bikes, so I'm not holding my breath. That being said, I sent them an email to see what they recommend for foam alterations. It might still be in the $300 range with a new seat pan from Suzuki, depending on what's needed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm about 45 minutes from hollister. Is this still possible?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Surely they only need a seat yeah? Not the whole bike?

Buy a Saddlemen seat. Give them the factory one. Get free corbin then off sell the Saddlemen?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Surely they only need a seat yeah? Not the whole bike?

Buy a Saddlemen seat. Give them the factory one. Get free corbin then off sell the Saddlemen?
Nope!!! they want the whole bike info below straight from the website:

We're located in Hollister, California so the closer you are, the better for everyone as we won't pay to ship your motorcycle. Naturally, the length of time we'll need the bike depends on the product(s) being tooled. A set of Fleetliner bags takes more time than a Gunfighter seat of course. Typically to tool up a seat, we'll need roughly 3-4 weeks. While it is here, it will be secured in our shop at all times. We won't ride your bike, but our designers will be sitting on it... a lot. It probably goes without saying that we fully expect to return your bike to you in the same condition it was in when it was dropped off... with the exception of now you will have some free Corbin gear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts