GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how is everybody doing ? This whole thing is driving me crazy, I mean 151 people died in NY since this broke out and yet I still have to go out and go shopping it makes me nervous. One good thing though the roads were pretty empty last weekend and I feel safe on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's bad. Here in New Zealand we're just about to go into a minimum 4 week lockdown, so I'm working from home for the forseeable future. I'm lucky enough to be able to do that, I feel sorry for all the people who aren't.

We're in the middle of a terrible historic event. This sucks.

Stay safe everyone.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel sorry for family's that live in apartments and have to stay indoors. I have a 4 bedroom house with only me and 2 of my daughters so we are not on top of each other. I seen a video of people in China yelling out of the windows from their apartment buildings. Some parts of China there are rows and rows of apartment buildings with them all filled with family's. I feel lucky I'm retired and I don't have to worry about going to work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
People need to get out into the fresh air and sunshine, uv rays kill bacteria and viruses. With everyone piled up inside, it’s like a Petri dish. If the economy doesn’t get going again soon, I’m afraid many businesses may be finished. Might see another Great Depression if this goes on another month or two.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The great outdoors isn't going to cure coronavirus. The best thing people can do is stay away from each other, this thing is extremely infectious.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I won't be taking a stroll in the park any time soon. But I enjoy my back yard, it is hard to stay in the house all day. Riding my bike is another way to get out of the house too.I read today it's going to take 18 months before a vaccine is made , tested and approved. So for the next 18 months we all have to be careful. The economy is going to take a big hit with people not being able to go to work , I see a lot of bushiness closing. This is history making bad news....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think riding a motorcycle in small groups is just what the doctor ordered. A helmet with a face shield s considered social distance and as long as you follow the proper health procedures you should be fine. Wipe off the gas nozzle and your credit card and wash your hands. We don't stop for lunch anywhere but go right home after the ride. Not much chance of catching and viruses on the open road going through the twisties in the boonies. Good luck and do what you feel comfortable doing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been ridding my bike and I've been having a great time, streets and Fwys are empty. The most problematic situation is that people have been buying all the toilet paper, alcohol and sanitizer but I have been able to get all these stuff. I went to Home depot, Walmart, Food 4 Less and other Markets and all looks very normal to me and they have stocked everything for people to buy their groceries. I'm working from home and may go to work one day a week to the company but not a big problem for me. I was more tired and concern about the rain here in California than the virus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The virus or any diseases is not the problem, ...human overpopulation is...these diseases are only consequences of overpopulation.... We are the problem..

What they are telling us to do to control it, is basically, pretend artificially we are not this many.

......scientists say the only beneficiary of all this is planet earth, as it gest a break from human excesses.

Isn't that telling???, what is bad for humans is good for the planet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
uv rays kill bacteria and viruses
Once infected, your body becomes a virus producing factory protected from those UV rays. Once spread onto a surface, the virus can live anywhere from a couple of hours to a day depending on the surface.

World population is what, 7 billion? 50-60% are projected to get infected (say 4 billion). Fatality rate is 1-4% (40-160 million). In the US, you're looking at potentially millions dead in a worst case scenario.

67 days for the first 100,000 reported cases worldwide, 11 days for the next 100,000, 4 days to reach the next 100,000 cases. And that's just those that were actually able to get tested. Those people not taking this seriously are going to be in for a surprise.

Healthcare systems around the world are bracing for shortages in equipment and staff if not already facing it. My wife and I work in healthcare. Mother is in a nursing home. Her sisters are a part of the more vulnerable population. Thankfully, the risk to my kids are said to be low, but shortages in OTC meds at my local pharmacy don't give me any ease. Toilet paper feels like the least of my worries right now. Definitely not looking forward to the upcoming weeks which are projected to hit us pretty hard here in the US. Perilous times.

Everyone has their reasons of why they should be an exception but I hope we can all do our part and take social distancing, handwashing, not touching your face, etc. seriously in order to try to slowdown transmission.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The virus or any diseases is not the problem, ...human overpopulation is...these diseases are only consequences of overpopulation.... We are the problem..

What they are telling us to do to control it, is basically, pretend artificially we are not this many.

......scientists say the only beneficiary of all this is planet earth, as it gest a break from human excesses.

Isn't that telling???, what is bad for humans is good for the planet.

I absolutely agree, I've been saying it for many years. The trouble is there is not a politician on the planet who is prepared to face up to it. Yet!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. People are now so concerned about cleaning everything and social distance that there may be less deaths here in the US than the yearly flu. I believe the flu killed 32,000 of us in the US last year and I don't think this will reach that level. I could be wrong but we'll see. I'm really concerned about the long term problems with the economy. Maybe the cure is worse than the cause?

·
Registered
90 Posts
One thing that has been keeping me from going on rides - if I get into an accident or go down, the last place I want to be is in a hospital, especially when the healthcare system is already overloaded. Something to keep in mind until the hospitals can catch up. It's definitely a risk that needs to be calculated before deciding to go on a ride.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Spanish flu in 1918 killed an estimated 30 million with a global population of under 2 billion. Population is roughly 8 billion now so if everything was the same you could expect about 120 million deaths.

Thing is people are more aware these days and we have meds to help with the effects of the virus, and as a result it is unlikely there will be as many deaths as simple maths would say.

Self isolating / lockdown is there to help slow down the spread and won't cure the problem, if anything it may mean it goes on for longer but at a more manageable level.

The best analogy I've heard is that if you had a bag of skittles, and in that bag there were 3 skittles that would kill you, would you eat any of the skittles? Most bikers aren't exactly risk adverse, but we tend to wear protective clothing and helmets.

What ever you decide stay safe and bear in mind the potential consequences of getting the virus and spreading it to your friends and family.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hope our governments have the balls to send China a huge invoice for there pandemic virus and slap huge tarrifs on everything coming out of there. For yrs I've been saying we're too reliant on them and they have desimated our manufacturing sector. We're in full lock down for the next 4 weeks, our government has sat on there hands when everybody was telling them to close our borders and quarantine all returning kiwis.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hope our governments have the balls to send China a huge invoice for there pandemic virus and slap huge tarrifs on everything coming out of there. For yrs I've been saying we're too reliant on them and they have desimated our manufacturing sector. We're in full lock down for the next 4 weeks, our government has sat on there hands when everybody was telling them to close our borders and quarantine all returning kiwis.

Huh? China isn't the enemy here, the virus is. The jingoism by a certain sect of the public is baffling.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In 1918 you could die of a paper cut.

That's for levity in case anyone isn't hip.

Working from home is odd, but it might be a surging notion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea I won't be taking a stroll in the park any time soon. But I enjoy my back yard, it is hard to stay in the house all day. Riding my bike is another way to get out of the house too.I read today it's going to take 18 months before a vaccine is made , tested and approved. So for the next 18 months we all have to be careful. The economy is going to take a big hit with people not being able to go to work , I see a lot of bushiness closing. This is history making bad news....
If you believe the media that will be the case. They are already testing stuff that shows promise in treatment. And to be clear a vaccine is not really a cure just way of limiting the infected. The most important thing is to have a way to cure you if you come down with it right now. That is what they are working on as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Huh? China isn't the enemy here, the virus is. The jingoism by a certain sect of the public is baffling.
Seriously ???? They are the problem because of the way they live and lack of population control. They may not be the current enemy but they have always been an enemy to our economy and more than a few of our politicians have gotten rich by helping the enemy and selling out American workers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts