GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crashed at the last turn of the pass, rear wheel skids over slippery asphalt. I was able to walk away with bruised finger and lips thanks to my gear, but my bike was not that lucky. My slider was carved by a half, front rim teared apart, wrapped discs and amazingly the lock nut on the triple clamp to stop the handlebar to touch the tank completely gone.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Looked like oil or some sort of substance on the road. Front wheel looks to be a write off, New one since its a one off model from Suzuki or see if a old standard GSXR front wheel will work but it won't match the rear. As for the fork tube cap I do not think that is sold separately through Suzuki. I would try ebay for a GSXR-1000 set of fork tubes from 05-08 I believe those were the same basic forks with different brake caliper mounts than the GSX comes with. As for the lower triple stop broke off I will bet you the triple is bent. They are very easy to bend. I would look for a new lower triple, top triple clamp as well. This is why your forks are binding when the axle nut is tightened. Also after market brake rotors while not cheap are typically cheaper than Suzuki. Again try ebay for some used ones off a GSXR as I bet they are the same. Again you'd need to verify the fitment. Also those forks will need to be checked for straightness too.

A lot of stuff off GSXR's will work and will be much cheaper and easier to find. Good luck as it could have been one of those armco barriers you slid into or worse up under that on coming truck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with you and Roy, something was dumping oil or some fluid on that road and soon as your front hit it leaned over that was it. Very lucky you didn't get run over by the truck/Van coming the other way. Glad you walked away with minor injuries. Good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wow. That video was a real eye-opener as speed seemed sensible and you did nothing wrong other than hitting the shiny section of tarmac. Just goes to show how easy it is to come unstuck on a bike. Glad you're OK. Best wishes with the rebuild.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I really would like to know what other wheels match our bikes... Id love to get a second set of rims to put race tires on for track days

·
Registered
987 Posts
Glad you are relatively ok. A question if you don't mind...did you have axle sliders mounted? If so, did they slide on the pavement and if not, did the bottom of the forks or ends of the swingarm make any contact with the pavement?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I really would like to know what other wheels match our bikes... Id love to get a second set of rims to put race tires on for track days
Rear swingarm is a direct copy of what come on my 2011 GSXR1000. Axle is different but not a deal killer as far as the wheel fitting if you had the 2009-2016 GSXR1000 axle.

Without trying one I'd say the front wheel is the same as the GSXR1000 12-16 due to the brembo caliper use on those year models. 09-11 1000s had Tokico monoblock calipers. Then again the axle may be the issue and in that case 05-08 GSXR1000s pieces might be the item needed. 09-16 GSXR1000s have some weird sized axles.

Again speculation on my part as I sold my 2011 GSXR1000 racebike and spare wheels before trying out on my GSX.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input Roy. I've edited my post, it's the compression not rebound nut for clarification. So it's highly likely that:
1/ Gixxer 05-08 fork will fit our bike
2/ Gixxer 12-16 rims may fit our bike
3/ Should get aftermarket rotors or used Gixxer set
4/ Should get lower triple clamp, the top was untouched
5/ The fork was straightened, the riding feeling is harsher than before. I'll need to disassemble it to check.
I considered myself lucky after all, if I was a bit slower or faster I may end up under that van, it was less than 2 meters away from me at the time.
In fact my front wheel crashed into the road pole before both me and the bike got down to the trench. That to explain the rim damage.

Looked like oil or some sort of substance on the road. Front wheel looks to be a write off, New one since its a one off model from Suzuki or see if a old standard GSXR front wheel will work but it won't match the rear. As for the fork tube cap I do not think that is sold separately through Suzuki. I would try ebay for a GSXR-1000 set of fork tubes from 05-08 I believe those were the same basic forks with different brake caliper mounts than the GSX comes with. As for the lower triple stop broke off I will bet you the triple is bent. They are very easy to bend. I would look for a new lower triple, top triple clamp as well. This is why your forks are binding when the axle nut is tightened. Also after market brake rotors while not cheap are typically cheaper than Suzuki. Again try ebay for some used ones off a GSXR as I bet they are the same. Again you'd need to verify the fitment. Also those forks will need to be checked for straightness too.

A lot of stuff off GSXR's will work and will be much cheaper and easier to find. Good luck as it could have been one of those armco barriers you slid into or worse up under that on coming truck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi vnuh,
What bad luck -all of our best wishes for your injuries and the repair costs for your bike.
Yes, there seems to be trail of something wet on the road in a few places, and looks like a truck or three used the road going by the dual wheel skid marks pre corner entry.
Here's a screen shot of the corner entry just prior to the sudden front end loss of traction.

Rob.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for your input Roy. I've edited my post, it's the compression not rebound nut for clarification. So it's highly likely that:
1/ Gixxer 05-08 fork will fit our bike
2/ Gixxer 12-16 rims may fit our bike
3/ Should get aftermarket rotors or used Gixxer set
4/ Should get lower triple clamp, the top was untouched
5/ The fork was straightened, the riding feeling is harsher than before. I'll need to disassemble it to check.
I considered myself lucky after all, if I was a bit slower or faster I may end up under that van, it was less than 2 meters away from me at the time.
In fact my front wheel crashed into the road pole before both me and the bike got down to the trench. That to explain the rim damage.
From years of seeing race crash damage I would still check or replace the top triple clamp. They are not that robust and usually bend while not visually apparent they'll be warped. If you have a known flat surface like a stainless work bench top or glass table top you can lay it flat on that and check. Any visual gap it is bent. Metal straight edge will do the same thing. 9 times out 10 though if you snapped a stopper off the lower triple the top was tweaked as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Suzuki, Yamand Kawasaki are very find of "assemblies" Speaking about the fork legs and calipers.

Often times, Honda sells individual pieces. If you can find the fork on a honda, it has to be the same, obviously, you'll have a better chance of that small compression nut.

This is also true with the brake calipers. Honda will sell the 50 cent rubber pieces, instead of a whole caliper.

The others gave great info...I hoped this might help with the small items.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Another Honda good thing I found when I needed new panels for my VFR12F last year is that Honda's parts come factory painted ready to go.
Suzuki come not painted.
This may explain any Honda parts being dearer, although the long wait for them made me think I had to wait till they made them for a run production run of bikes.

Rob.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad you are OK. I took my Yamaha TTR 230 out in the neighborhood last month to get the gas circulating after sitting all winter. I had a low speed crashed and was limping for 3 weeks, not to mention the road rash on my knee and elbow.... ouch.... I 'always' wear full protection - but figured I was only warming her up, right. Jeans and a sweatshirt are useless on asphalt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Crash & Rebuild

Bikebandit.com carries all original OEM parts. I crashed a few months ago and both rims bent beyond repair. $1000 for rims only but shipping was free and delivered 3 days later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts