GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a lot about mirrors. Didnt want the cheap versions since the glass isnt good and not curved and not very adjustable. They can also be dangerous since they can make the throttle stick. It seems that bar end mirrors take a bit to get used to but provide the most information. They can see directly behind you. Wider angle with curved mirrors. Less distracting than having the stock mirrors always in your face. Feel safer and bike looks nicer.

They dont have any issues in the triple digits and folds in if you hit it on anything.

Installation.
-I wanted to use the same bar ends since the weight provides vibration control
-i found a bicycle handlebar i wasnt using and cut a ring to extend the bar where the mirror would clamp onto.
-visibility is excellent!

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ingenious, love this! I think I will give this a try since I have a 7/8" steel handle bar donor laying around.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'm not sure I follow 100%. Are you just using that ring you cut as a spacer to stop the bar-end from going in as far as it did stock? Why not just hit up a local hardware store and get a steel spacer in the size you need? You could be real agricultural and just lop off a bit of the grip on the left side and run the mirror directly on the bar itself, haha.

What's stopping the mirror from rotating on the little ring you cut out? My stock bar-ends can be twisted with a bit of force, but they never loosen or tighten - they just keep spinning. There's no way to tighten them INTO the bar since they just rely on the expanding method to hold them in place.

I really wish these bar-ends were threaded like my FZ-07. Made fitting bar-end mirrors super easy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
check out Rizoma bar end mirrors. Better glass (ive had crg before) plus they include a bar end mechanism that wont allow them to interfere with grips. search for my posts i posted pics

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure I follow 100%. Are you just using that ring you cut as a spacer to stop the bar-end from going in as far as it did stock? Why not just hit up a local hardware store and get a steel spacer in the size you need? You could be real agricultural and just lop off a bit of the grip on the left side and run the mirror directly on the bar itself, haha.

What's stopping the mirror from rotating on the little ring you cut out? My stock bar-ends can be twisted with a bit of force, but they never loosen or tighten - they just keep spinning. There's no way to tighten them INTO the bar since they just rely on the expanding method to hold them in place.

I really wish these bar-ends were threaded like my FZ-07. Made fitting bar-end mirrors super easy.
The bicycle handlebar was handy but any ring of that dimension will work.

The ring doesnt rotate since the bar end weight expands when tightened thus holding it in place.

I prefer this method since it allows the original bar end weights to be used which reduce vibration in the bars.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check out Rizoma bar end mirrors. Better glass (ive had crg before) plus they include a bar end mechanism that wont allow them to interfere with grips. search for my posts i posted pics
Yeah youre right. They were on the list. Rizoma mirrors are great but also cary a hefty price. I found a deal for the crg and got it for $50 or so and theyre very good and have very good glass as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts