GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post a follow-up thread to my ECU saga with the most important information. The results! There's already plenty out there if you look, but this is more good information for anyone on the fence about getting a flash, especially by Dano's Performance (Dan). His customer service was top notch from start to finish and his flash is extraordinary. I'll explain the differences and advantages I've noticed so far after riding several hundred miles with the new flashed ECU.

• The first thing I noticed was the throttle is now incredibly smooth with no more on/off feeling. I never experienced throttle snatch where the bike would lurch forward upon initial throttle opening like many here, but there was definitely a noticeable on/off feeling due to the fuel cut upon closing of the throttle and deceleration. Dan disabled this fuel cut feature which created a silky smooth and buttery transition when opening and closing the throttle. Engine braking is lessened by the lack of fuel cut, but previously engine breaking was too strong. Now it's just the way it should be and feels appropriate like all the bike's I've owned previously.

• The second thing I noticed was the engine runs so much smoother at low RPM. Previously, the bike didn't like to cruise steadily below about 3k RPM, no matter the speed or gear. It would buck and carry on, forcing me to drop a gear or two and bring the RPM up substantially. I believe Suzuki had the low RPM fueling set way too lean, most likely for emissions purposes, and Dan corrected this. I can now cruise at any RPM I want. It's smooth sailing from idle to redline. This has improved overall ridability 100x over.

• Another benefit I've seen is an increase in fuel efficiency. The ability to select higher gears at any given speed equals lower maintained RPM when cruising around town and on the highway. Lower RPM equates to less fuel consumption. I didn't buy a liter bike to sip gas, but I won't complain about an increase in performance while using less gas!

• I'm also impressed with the difference in low to midrange RPM power. Power has increased throughout the entire rev range, but most notably the low to mid RPM band. There's no longer a flat spot between 5.5-8k RPM. The bike pulls like a freight train from idle to redline and doesn't level off temporarily half way through the rev range and then feel like Honda's VTECH kicked in at 8k RPM like it used to. I can pull long/steep hills at an RPM that would've required downshifting before. I can put the bike in sixth gear at 25 MPH and leave it there indefinitely. It's an excellent improvement that's also increased ridability by a ton. Second gear power wheelies are also a breeze now, whereas before it wasn't happening without a flick of the clutch. I'm 225 pounds, so you guys who weigh 160 are lucky enough not to have this problem. 😆

• I live in Pennsylvania and we've had some 90-97° ambient temperatures the past week. The radiator fan now comes on much earlier then it did previously. Dan lowered the threshold for fan engagement and I like it. I used to find myself waiting to hear the fan come on when I felt it should've already been running, but now it comes on before this happens. It's makes me feel better knowing the bike isn't reaching such high coolant temps before cooling itself off.

• I've seen a couple guys post videos and complain about their idle speed surging up and down substantially after a flash. This was something I was concerned about, especially with a free flowing full exhaust with very little backpressure. Thankfully, this hasn't been my experience and my bike idles great. It has a very slight lope, but it had this prior to the flash and its barely enough of a fluctuation to even register on the tachometer. Completely normal.

I'm sure there's more that isn't coming to mind at the moment, but these are the big ones. I've noticed so many differences post flash while out riding, and all have been extremely positive. I've haven't noticed anything that I'm unhappy with. With everything combined, ridability and fun factor has been improved dramatically and the bike is so much more enjoyable to ride. It's hard to imagine that a factory tune can have so many drawbacks, but I guess that's what happens when the manufacturer is stuck trying to create workarounds in order to maintain compliance with noise and emissions regulations. Performance suffers. Fortunately, there's guys like Dan who can make the bike perform the way it should.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm happy to know your findings. Enjoy your bike man!
I love this bike, the flashing of the ECU make this bike even much better. It really makes me smile:LOL:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly does make it better! Hard to believe the bike can be so much better after a simple flash. I've spent a bunch of money modifying this bike in the three months or so I've owned it, but I can say with 100% confidence that the $180 I paid Dano's for the flash is by far the best money I've spent on it. Massive difference in performance and overall ridability in general.

I know you mentioned in my other thread that you sent your ECU to Dano's, but have you already received it back? If so, did you notice the same things I did when comparing the bike before and after the flash?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for posting the results ... with a 5 year warranty that means I'd ideally not want to touch the ECU until June 2024 but knowing how reliable these engines are I may consider sending the ECU off over the winter to get flashed (assuming the service is still available in light of the EPA clamping down on this type of stuff).

The ONLY concern I have is losing the "snappiness" the stock tune has in order to gain "smoothness".

I recently bought a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 cruiser and after riding that only for a couple of weeks I got on the GSX and WOW what a responsive throttle ... the initial drive-off had me looking like some newb with the bike bucking back and forth until I adjusted to the throttle sensitivity; but after that acclimatization I was giggling like a little girl. You want to go NOW? Just give it a bit of throttle and vrooom, you're off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My factory warranty here in the US is only one year. so it'll be expired soon anyway. Combine that with the known reliability of these bikes I'm really not worried about retaining coverage. If that's a concern of yours, you should have bought that ECU I listed and kept one for stock and one for tune. That's what the guy who bought it plans on doing.

Regarding the snappiness, let me clarify that. Throttle response is excellent while also being smooth. It's not like a cruiser or a Harley where there seems to be a disconnect or lag time between the engine and the throttle inputs you're commanding. The bike does what you want it to and immediately, just without any unnecessary harshness. I wish you were closer to me as it's difficult to explain, but it's something you would pick up on right away if you hopped on the bike.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It certainly does make it better! Hard to believe the bike can be so much better after a simple flash. I've spent a bunch of money modifying this bike in the three months or so I've owned it, but I can say with 100% confidence that the $180 I paid Dano's for the flash is by far the best money I've spent on it. Massive difference in performance and overall ridability in general.
Definitely is the best money spent on this bike.

I know you mentioned in my other thread that you sent your ECU to Dano's, but have you already received it back? If so, did you notice the same things I did when comparing the bike before and after the flash?
Yes, I purchased the bike on Feb 2020 and on August 2020 I installed the new flashed ECU. Yes, I experienced also your findings.

Read "My Decat Project" here

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely is the best money spent on this bike.

Yes, I purchased the bike on Feb 2020 and on August 2020 I installed the new flashed ECU. Yes, I experienced also your findings.

Read "My Decat Project" here
Ah, I do remember finding and reading through your thread recently before I installed my decat pipe.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The only thing that I miss is the great engine brake, I may send the ECU to Dano's to put it back. (y)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing that I miss is the great engine brake, I may send the ECU to Dano's to put it back. (y)
I think in order to get that incredibly strong engine braking back, Dan will have to turn the decel fuel cut feature back on. I believe this will reintroduce some of the issues that the flash fixed, but you would have to ask him to confirm.

I'm happy with the current engine braking performance after the flash. I thought I liked that strong engine braking the bike had when stock, but now that it's been softened, I feel like it was just too much. I can let off the throttle when cruising down hills now and retain most of my required speed, whereas previously the bike would lose speed very quickly and wouldn't really coast unless power was disconnected from the rear wheel by disengaging the clutch. This meant I had to be on the throttle even going downhill when it really shouldn't have been necessary.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just changed the oil again (about 400 miles on the bike since the flash) and noticed something different about the used oil compared to the oil I've drained during previous oil changes. The used oil from this service has a faint smell of fuel, whereas this wasn't the case before the flash. The oil before just smelled like used oil without the fuel smell. You can definitely tell the fuel mixture has been richened up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ONLY concern I have is losing the "snappiness" the stock tune has in order to gain "smoothness".

I recently bought a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 cruiser and after riding that only for a couple of weeks I got on the GSX and WOW what a responsive throttle ... the initial drive-off had me looking like some newb with the bike bucking back and forth until I adjusted to the throttle sensitivity; but after that acclimatization I was giggling like a little girl. You want to go NOW? Just give it a bit of throttle and vrooom, you're off.
Lou, you read my mind. That would be my fear as well. I love the immediacy of the stock throttle. My 2018 has no snatch, just instant response. I would like to ease the fuel cutoff on deceleration, but not bad enough to flash it just yet. I also have 5 year warranty from Suzuki Canada. Lol

On a separate note, I've also been eyeing a Thunderbird. If you have a sec, I would love your impressions in a PM so we don't hijack this thread. :)

Thx!

Sent from my OnePlus 7T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a different flash, but lately I have been noticing that under 4k rpms it seems to be pretty rough. I initially thought that maybe my throttle bodies need balanced (it 'only' has 10,000 miles on it). But after reading your review I may give the Dano flash a shot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a different flash, but lately I have been noticing that under 4k rpms it seems to be pretty rough. I initially thought that maybe my throttle bodies need balanced (it 'only' has 10,000 miles on it). But after reading your review I may give the Dano flash a shot.
Do you mind telling us who did your flash? It's always interesting hearing opinions from guys who have purchased a flash from a company other than Dano's, just for the sake of comparison.

Regarding your bike, was it smooth running after the flash and now you're just starting to notice that it's running poorly below 4k RPM? If it was fine before and it's started running poorly out of nowhere, I doubt the flash has anything to do with it. There's many things that could cause this, and some of them are simple to eliminate.

Is the "FI" light on the dash illuminated? If it is, you'll find the culprit by checking the code. If the light isn't on, I'd start by considering the basic stuff first. Have you recently filled the tank? I've seen guys unknowingly fill their bike with bad gas and then start having issues. Could be a dirty air filter restricting airflow, a fouled spark plug or ignition coil, fuel pump, throttle position sensor, etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think in order to get that incredibly strong engine braking back, Dan will have to turn the decel fuel cut feature back on. I believe this will reintroduce some of the issues that the flash fixed, but you would have to ask him to confirm.
Yes, you are right. I better don't touch anything else on the flash.

I'm happy with the current engine braking performance after the flash. I thought I liked that strong engine braking the bike had when stock, but now that it's been softened, I feel like it was just too much. I can let off the throttle when cruising down hills now and retain most of my required speed, whereas previously the bike would lose speed very quickly and wouldn't really coast unless power was disconnected from the rear wheel by disengaging the clutch. This meant I had to be on the throttle even going downhill when it really shouldn't have been necessary.
Well, I have to get used to use the regular brakes. However the strong engine brake of this bike was phenomenal, never had to touch the regular brakes.
I don't close the throttle except for stopping.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, you are right. I better don't touch anything else on the flash.

Well, I have to get used to use the regular brakes. However the strong engine brake of this bike was phenomenal, never had to touch the regular brakes.
I don't close the throttle except for stopping.
👍

·
Registered
651 Posts
And I'm about 15 minutes outside of Gettysburg. Are you also in PA?
Used to be. Suburbs of Philly. Moved to Illinois 10 years ago for work. All the family still lives in PA though so we go back to visit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts