GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Some people do it, but then again some people ride in flip flops. I think you should do it and tell us how it worked for you. I’ve always admired the bold adventurers in society who’ve pushed the envelope, no matter the risk to themselves.

Dont bother with the gsxs, get the latest gsxr1000, it has far more power and I’m sure any unlikely handling deficiencies would be more obvious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some people do it, but then again some people ride in flip flops. I think you should do it and tell us how it worked for you. I’ve always admired the bold adventurers in society who’ve pushed the envelope, no matter the risk to themselves.

Dont bother with the gsxs, get the latest gsxr1000, it has far more power and I’m sure any unlikely handling deficiencies would be more obvious.
The question was about Darksideing on a GSXS. I really did not expect a response such as yours for a simple question.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The question was about Darksideing on a GSXS. I really did not expect a response such as yours for a simple question.
You’ll have to forgive me. It’s winter and bike withdrawal has set in.

To answer your question. As a member of this site my answer is no. If you do some research you’ll find that there are quite a few people who have put over the years car tires on their normally cruiser type brand of motorcycles. I think personally that it is an unwise (stupid) and likely dangerous idea if you ride with any aggression on a bike such as the gsxs which has 150 hp and was designed to be a sportbike. Why anyone would buy such a good handling bike and put a rear tire on it which will handicap its handling is beyond me.

From my experience riders who use rear car tires do so for a number of reasons. The principal reason appears to be that some of them ride long distances (in an upright position) rarely leaning over and want high mileages out of the tire. They also tend to be riders who boast that they got 20k out of the stock tire on their bike, whereas the rest of us only got 5k. They also tend to boast that the got 60 mpg out of their bike when the rest of us got 40 mpg. To be kind, they are normally sedate riders who are not interested in sporting riding.

Finally, if you have a gsxs and are a touring rider who rides slow, doesn’t lean over, ride with any aggression, doesn’t care that you’ve turned your fine handling gsxs into a barge, then I’m sure a car tire will be fine for you.

P.s. Again I apologize for the winter blues, and obviously upsetting you. I have a feeling however that you don’t even own a gsxs, and are unlikely to be seen in the future putting up many, if any, posts. I am more than willing to be proved wrong. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
Nah I agree with everything you said @Gixus, couldn’t have put it clearer myself. Maybe kinder, but not any clearer haha!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe if one does not want a sarcastic response, one does not make a ridiculous suggestion on a public forum?

Really...a car tire on a sport bike FFS???!!!

When I used to spend time on cruiser forums, these "darkside" threads were only outdone by the "show us your gun" threads. It's exhausting.

Normally I'm of the live and let live mentality, but can we at least start from a position of common sense?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the 1st and last time I ever ask a question on this forum. A friend and I were talking about this subject and i just thought I would ask fellow bikers if they ever saw such a think on the bikes we love to ride. My mistake I did not realize how many jackasses there are in this world. Oh ya by the way I spent 20 years in the Marine Corp and all I can wish for is for someone to talk to me that way to my face. No such luck. By the way I run Michelin power 5's.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S1000F (2020)
111 Posts
As a Marine you should be trained in safety and process above all else, it’s how you guys function best no?

A car tyre on a motorcycle is not safe and a waste of time, it’s a fun idea, and I’m happy some people do it because why not…

But from a practical standpoint it makes no sense to degrade quality of handling and safety for a net gain of a few more thousand miles in a straight line.

At least to me.

The fact you’ve asked something and not gotten a response you’d like should show an opportunity to rethink the approach rather than threaten violence and make your original question pointless by stating you already run a motorcycle tyre and alienate the people you’re talking to.

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
Has anyone put a car tire on their bike?
Huh...that is ludicrious, why ....?, are you going to ride some place where motorcycle tyres dont exist ?, cant think of any other possible reason to completly f...k up a good handling bike than to do something so ridiculous, not to mention dangerous to your health. I think the decription in the name should suffice..."car" tyre, they dont lean, dont need grip to the same extent, and it would likely require removing the mudgaurd, and maybe lengthening the wheel base some...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I
This is the 1st and last time I ever ask a question on this forum. A friend and I were talking about this subject and i just thought I would ask fellow bikers if they ever saw such a think on the bikes we love to ride. My mistake I did not realize how many jackasses there are in this world. Oh ya by the way I spent 20 years in the Marine Corp and all I can wish for is for someone to talk to me that way to my face. No such luck. By the way I run Michelin power 5's.
Twenty years in the marine corp? Not sure how that applies to you being offended by my remarks. My dad spent 35 years on the military and I don’t recall him ever bringing up his service when he had a dispute with anyone. For all you know I could have spent 30 years in harms way in an organization where my life was in danger on many occasions.

But your remarks remind me of the time I was in an office with the guys I worked with, and we were all armed. One of the guys got upset with another and started beating his chest, telling him how he was going to beat the crap out of him and he’d wake up under a desk asking where he was.

Whereupon the other guy immediately got on his knees, crawled under a desk, looked out and said, “what happened, why am I under this desk?” Laughter put the end to that and the aggressor was embarrassed.

Lighten up bud. A bit of sarcasm never killed anyone. Anyone who puts up his first thread on a site asking what you did comes across as a troll and will likely always get the same reception from someone.

We ever meet up the first beers on me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As an ex Army shooter, I’m more than happy to tell you to your face why a car tire with a flat side profile is a dumb idea on a bike. But seeing that you claim to be a Marine, I’m more than happy to give you a little grace, knowing that you probably couldn’t see the difference between the tires and put 2 and 2 together. Highly doubting the military claim tho, most people between 37-45 years old don’t usually say incredibly stupid **** like that anyway.

·
Registered
739 Posts
P.s. Again I apologize for the winter blues,
Better man than me. I don't care if folks get their panties in a wad. In fact I take pride on getting folks to respond in any fashion.
This is the 1st and last time I ever ask a question on this forum.
@Bug Killer don't be so sensitive.
Plenty of folks who darkside. Have thought about it, but never done it. Seriously, give it a try and see what happens. Who knows, some year i might if I ever get a spare rim?? Many discourage darksiding for the safety reasons mentioned in fortnine's video (IIRC). Some even double darkside, though, regardless of the consequences. I wouldn't get upset about someone responding in a sarcastic or mean way. The way I look at it, what others think of me is none of my business. Cheers!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I used to own a KTM 990 super duke and a member on the super duke forum.
Now You really needed to have thick skin on that forum.
Everyone would give each other crap it used to be heaps funny.
One young fella used to get heaps of crap when he first joined and threatened to leave the forum but in the end he ended up being a forum moderator.
Unfortunately he was killed in a motorcyle accident it was heaps sad.
But when ever I think of him I laugh as I remember some of his comments he used to make yep giving it back just as hard as he was getting it.
Just remember life is short so stay happy live the dream and be kind to each other.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts