GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have done the de cat what did you use to get the catalyst out of the header pipe? Any secret tricks? I’m hoping to do the cutting and converter removal on the bike.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For those that have done the de cat what did you use to get the catalyst out of the header pipe? Any secret tricks? I’m hoping to do the cutting and converter removal on the bike.
It's literally a 20 minute job to remove the entire exhaust, so I'm sure the job would be quicker overall to remove the exhaust first then you can use drills, chisels etc

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's literally a 20 minute job to remove the entire exhaust, so I'm sure the job would be quicker overall to remove the exhaust first then you can use drills, chisels etc
So just loosen the radiator and move it out of the way. I didn’t know you could get it out or to everything without removing the radiator. Good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So just loosen the radiator and move it out of the way. I didn’t know you could get it out or to everything without removing the radiator. Good to know. Thanks
Yes, no need to remove the radiator , just loosen and there is enough movement in the hoses to move it far enough away to remove the headers

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took header completely off, which wasn’t too bad. Getting the cat out of the pipe took longer than taking the header off. Drill and chisel, drill and chisel. I’m waiting on my ecu to return to fire it up, can’t wait.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I took header completely off, which wasn’t too bad. Getting the cat out of the pipe took longer than taking the header off. Drill and chisel, drill and chisel. I’m waiting on my ecu to return to fire it up, can’t wait.
For future reference (sorry it's a bit late for this time), rather than try to destroy the cat entirely as I have seen on many videos, drill around the outside of the cat first then cut between the drill holes with a chisel and it doesn't take long for the cat to fall out - need a long drill though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts