GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! Took my first ride on a 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke today at dealership where I bought GSXS. So my comments are based on a database containing one point and bike had to remain in "street" mode during ride. :) Anyway, I loved the ergo's (I'm 170 pounds with 32-inch inseam), clutch pull was slightly lighter than Sazook, and the way the tank shielded your knees was better than the suzuki. The throttle/ fuel delivery was better, but I first noticed the presence of engine vibration. The motor, although very muscular when "on the pipe," always seemed to want you to put it in the "correct" gear. I rode my GSXS through a 15-mph school zone in sixth gear, just to see if it would do it, and then it actually pulled back up to speed. So I was surprised the KTM didn't like anything higher than fourth gear around side streets --I put in 6th at 49 mph and it would run but not pull away. Anyway, I did nail it in 3rd gear in the fat of the powerband (4-5000-ish) and you could feel it in your shoulders instantly--that the GSXS would not do! Other items like brakes and general handling felt equivalent and the KTM's suspension was better. Anyway, I'm glad I rode the KTM--liked it but didn't love it to the point of selling/trading/paying $$ to get one. Perhaps a Super Duke GT?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
The SD is a v-twin. Every two cylinder bike I've ever ridden was super vibey and hated low revs. A 4 cylinder can cope a lot better when "lugging" them around town.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you're right. Would be curious to ride SD if you could "let the cat out of the bag." Maybe I'm just stuck as an inline four kind of guy; I remember vividly when the CB750 was released, and then when I finally could afford my first Z1 Kaw back in the dark ages. When the V-Max was released, I didn't like the sound as, to me, it was more automotive than motorcycle...and same with the VFR V-4 Hondas. Strangely, I remember hearing what I thought was a small-block Chevy for several weeks turned out to be an old cam-gear-drive Ducati :). Never seen or heard a new V-4 Aprilia, except on U-Tube vids. I digress, but do enjoy my GSXS.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
A guy I work with has a 98 VFR800 with straight pipes. That thing sounded insane the first time I heard it drive off from its spot in the parking garage. I swear I thought I was going to see a blown vette pull out, but instead it was this ****ty old red VFR. Coolest sounding bike I've heard to date.

Reactions: Jaked

·
Registered
415 Posts
As the resident '99 VFR owner hereabouts, I would argue it has one of the nicest notes in all of motorcycledom. Don't get me started on the lovely whine of gear driven cams... I also love V8s so there you go.

I have never ridden a 1290 but friends that have laude the civility and savage power when getting on it. Perhaps the dealer gave it to you in nanna-mode?

·
Registered
90 Posts
MY first bike was a 1986 VFR400R and i miss the way that bike sounded with th exam gear valve train. What a beautiful noise. The cross plane R1's sound like a muscle car also.

·
Registered
333 Posts
crossplane or aprilia V4

Reactions: vnuh

·
Registered
719 Posts
from what i can tell, everyone seems to agree KTM makes good bikes and that the SD is an amazing machine, but not everyone seems to like it. I've never ridden one myself so I cant comment but the bike's seemingly polarizing nature makes me want to try one.....I love the LED headlights on the 2017.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I m not agree , warranty is even worst than BMW or ducati....

·
Registered
415 Posts
By worse, do you mean duration of coverage of the number of returns for warranty repairs? A mate of mine bought a second-hand 1st generation Super Duke and it never missed a beat. I've only ridden his so my depth of experience with KTM is very shallow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did recently listen to an Aprilia Tuono video and must admit it sounds pretty good (so maybe I'm not completely V4-phobic). Yes, I'd probably have a revised opinion if the dealer would let me ride it in the full-mondo mode. But one of the techs at my dealer, that also sells KTM, says he sees more warranty activity with KTM than Suzuki or Yamaha.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My SDR 1290 did 1400 km before engine exploded , I had to run in court for get all my money back

·
Registered
333 Posts
got money back , dropped SDR on parking lot of dealer
went away

1 - 15 of 15 Posts