GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard the multiple complaints of too much throttle slack. My bike was no different. So with the engine off I simply dialed out the slack using the cable adjuster. Whallah. But then when I rode the bike the slack came back. The slack would disappear once the engine was stopped. I've ridin moto my whole life and never experienced this issue. So I went back to the throttle cable adjuster and just kept dialing it out until the slack was gone even with the engine running.

Now it feels perfect and I can control the bike sooo much better. That throttle slack makes the bike even more jumpy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well thats my weekend project sorted,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dealer told me when I mentioned it to them that the slack is supposed to be there because of the fat bars and when you turn them from lock to lock the cable can be pulled giving the engine surges that people talk about. Also said that if you dial the slack out they will put it when it is serviced ?.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
The manual does recommend a certain level of slack. But its your riding, your bike and I did exactly the same thing. They put the slack back in when they serviced it and I took it right out again when I got it back. Just make sure the engine is running when you adjust. If the revs start to rise you've gone too far.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I adjust the throttle cable I have the bike running and warmed up, remove almost all the slack and then turn the bars from stop to stop and adjust the slack so that the revs dont rise when turning the bar.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If the revs rise when you turn the bars the cables are overall too short, I adjusted mine to remove all the free play As I've done on previous bikes, as for me it makes riding so much easier as you know exactly when the revs will increase as you twist the throttle. There is another adjuster on the left of the throttle body linkage easily accessible when you lift the tank, so you can set the handle bar adjuster mid way, then reset the adjuster under the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts