GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always removed the stock rear fender setup and fitted eliminators to all my bikes. This, however, is the first time that I've noticed so much crap getting thrown up from the road onto my back and pillion seat. I'm guessing the solution is a hugger? I see powerbronze has a complete replacement, and pyramid has an extender?

Has anyone used the extender?

https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/...A++Hugger+Extension+2015+>&partNumber=070402\

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the front and rear extenders fitted to my naked they work well not to much thrown up at the rad and at the rear it still throws water everywhere but the shock and my back of legs are dry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since force throws everything off perpendicular to the surface of the tire, the only way to stop it is extend the hugger past the tail of the bike, which isn't too practical, or aesthetically pleasing. That's kind of why the original fender is as long as it is. You can try and fit a Ducati-style "fender", but that's uglier than the stock fender, IMO.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
I have front and rear Pyramid extenders. I think the rear looks reasonable.
However I have now removed my tail tidy and put the original guard back on.
Function before form!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like the rear shorter than the back tire. It looks so good, with the big fat 190 sticking out, that I'll sacrifice comfort and convenience for it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have never understood the obsession with fender eliminators. Especially with the straight up tail on the Gixxus.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bloody ****!!
I purposely rode through a puddle today, just to see how bad it was.
Well my rear including my stop light and seat cowl are covered, and I mean completely covered, in mud.
I've had this issue on other bikes before of course but it has ranged from a couple of drops to quite a few largeish drops, nothing like this.
I might have to get that splashguard.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bloody ****!!
I purposely rode through a puddle today, just to see how bad it was.
Well my rear including my stop light and seat cowl are covered, and I mean completely covered, in mud.
I've had this issue on other bikes before of course but it has ranged from a couple of drops to quite a few largeish drops, nothing like this.
I might have to get that splashguard.
I'm so conflicted. I hate the look of the stock guard, but don't like the mud and ****e getting all over my beautiful girl. I may try the splash guard too. Although it's ugly, it's still less ugly than the stock guard, IMO.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My old MT09 actually threw water from my back wheel over my head so i find this bike a massive improvement. The rear end is filthy though as i used it all year round.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'll second that!
My back and seat is covered with mud and crud off the rear tire this time of year.
Never had a bike so bad for it before this:eek:
Does a tail tidy make it any better? I don't really like the look of that silly arm thingy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pics here show how I took the stock rear fender, cut it shorter and mounted it to the stock reflectors bracket....which in turn I mounted to the Yoshimura fender eliminator kit. The reflector brackets holes worked perfect. No drilling. I did have to bend the bracket some to get the fender at this angle. Just placed it in a vice and twisted the thin sheet metal. Its not the total answer but it helps a lot.

We also need to think about how the small particles of dirt being thrown from the back tire are going to dull the tail light lens and rear paint above the tail light over time. I actually used some thick clear adhesive vinyl cut to shape and stuck it on the paint on the under side of the tail...just above the tail light. I also plan to cover the tail light lens with the same clear vinyl....then replace it as it gets pitted. Beats a dulling lens or replacing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not bad... I might pull my stock fender out of the shed and see what I can jimmy-up myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
don't ride in the wet....... my gladius was worse than this i only ride in the wet if i have too and im then in my waterproof gear so dont mind my back getting a bit wet and a cloth kept under the seat to wipe down the tail light and seat cowl is all i need

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i ride every day too but if your worried about getting your back wet
I'm actually more concerned about putting road grime and crap on parts of the bike that aren't really designed to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts