GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I've noticed that when I fill my bike it tells me that the distance to empty is about 170 klm's, a number that hovers about for I must admit for quite some time.. I KNOW i'll get around 300 klm's out of a tank on a trip, but I'd like it to actually tell me I'm going to get that amount without me panicking every 150klm's just to throw 10 liters in it because it's now telling me i've only got 60 k's to empty. I've also noticed that my fuel consumption as an average is around 13k's to the liter.. which can't be right.

This has been doing this ever since I had my ECU flashed last year..

Is their anyway I can "reset" this so it reads accurately again ?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nope!
All versions do exactly the same, across all countries. I don't think it was the flash but i have heard of some instances where they are no longer as accurate as they used to be.
My UK version just about always says its got 160 miles in the tank when i fill up but i often get 180 -200 miles from the tank.
On the up side, it is pretty accurate once it starts going down

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nope!
All versions do exactly the same, across all countries. I don't think it was the flash but i have heard of some instances where they are no longer as accurate as they used to be.
My UK version just about always says its got 160 miles in the tank when i fill up but i often get 180 -200 miles from the tank.
totally concur

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, I've notice that my office run during school holidays are much quicker and after several tank full in a month, it will show up 230K when I tank up. Come school time, too much traffic and after couple of tank full, it starts to show only 200K. So it's all about past data me thinks.

Totally agree with this one. Any idea how long does it take you after it goes completely blank with '--' symbol? I once tried for just 2kms and it was fine :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
should set trip A or B at every fill up and go by mileage ..i can tell how much gas it will take looking at trip......and the amount left in the tank before fill up is right on ,, average 42 to 44mpg,,,,,,,at 160 miles i have 1/2 to a good 3/4 left mostly blasting down highway......one time i took it easy following my buddy all side roads filled up at 200 miles....she was blinking

·
Registered
508 Posts
My 2018 is flashed and I've never had a problem with the gauge. It does use slightly more fuel but given the considerable performance increase it's a positive trade off.
If anything it goes harder and sounds better so I find myself getting throttle happy too often which probably accounts for the extra fuel.
Would be interesting to know why some have an issue and others are fine. I ride mostly highway speeds which may also aid the remaining fuel computation.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So it's all about past data me thinks.

Totally agree with this one. Any idea how long does it take you after it goes completely blank with '--' symbol? I once tried for just 2kms and it was fine :)
Yep! Whenever I've been off touring, my base figure after each fill up starts to increase. I've also noticed the figure drops considerably faster than it goes back up0:)
You're a braver man than me taking it down below the "--" symbol. I think that means you have less than 0.5 of a litre left. So, maybe 5 klms left on average?
Let me know when you find out;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is worked off you average fuel consumption.
So yes the harder you ride, the top figure will come down,
Take it steady for a while and it will creep back up.

If you want to reset it just disconnect the battery for a minute, but then it will take a while to build up an average.

I rest my tripp now and again to check it, then obviously see how close i get to 17L when i refuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts