GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that you put your bike away for winter ,,could be 3 weeks or 3 months...you put it away saying this bike is great can wait to ride again....Then you start reading all the threads about problems and you start thinking ...gee i have all these problems..you start reading more an more to find cures for these problems that you never had ,when you put your bike up for the winter..i feel i been brained washed or maybe you been brained washed....anyone else feel that way

·
Registered
538 Posts
No not really, I thought the throttle, suspension and tyres were ****e last year and within a mile I felt the same way this year. I then jump on my 2001 cbr600f and it out performs it in every way except power.
It's gutting to say but the facts are too in my face to ignore, the bike I paid £2000 Is better than the one I paid £8000 for, It's a shame.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you sit in room with a bunch of guys all talking about the bad points of the bike you've all just bought then as soon as you get on it all you will notice is the bad ****3 you've been talking about. Turn the chat around and talk about all the great points and the resulting ride will shine in these areas. My advice........... dont listen to the hype and ride your own ride, if you feel certain areas need improvement then seek advice and sort them, just don't get sucked in by the nay-sayers and enjoy your wheels. Not all bike's are crafted from the same mold .
I love my GSX-s but i also love my 600 GSXr. Both completely different bikes each having its own personality.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think most bike forums are like this. If you took everyone's gripes to heart, you'd think the bike was un-rideable unless you replaced the suspension, installed a power commander, new windscreen, brakes, seat, ecu, tires, etc... Good advice above... if you find something you don't like, see what others are doing/have done to help.

Reactions: parablob

·
Registered
211 Posts
I find people tend to have a bias towards the things they own. So no, I dont find that at all. I love my bike. Its not perfect but nothing is. I also like to mod things to make them better FOR ME. The bones of the bike are great so to me it makes a good platform for some simple mods if thats your thing. Not saying you have to mod it to make it good or that you should mod it.

Your heart is on you sleeve with your name, I know you want everyone to leave it stock and some others here end up cranky when people are not happy with aspects of the bike. Maybe they feel like people being unhappy with some things will give the bike a bad name or that they are attacking their choice in bike. This forum is primarily made up of owners and those owners like the bike and talk to other owners about their day to day experience with their chosen bike. When a group of people tell me I can adjust something using a $12 cable to make the throttle better I really appreciate that. Thats helpful information. It doesn't make my bike worse or diminish my enjoyment of the bike. In the same way if you like your throttle or your brakes or your suspension the way they are then thats awesome! Someone else talking about wanting an improvement shouldn't take away from that. Like the saying goes, the best you know is the best you've ridden. My experience is limited and in many many ways the GSXS1000 is the best I've ridden. If I can make it better then **** yeah, that sounds like a real good time!

Still having a great time on the bike and I'll be out again tomorrow having a great time on the bike. I'll also change the rear shock and and springs and valves in the forks, put a more comfy seat on it, try out different brake pads and change the light bulb. And enjoy all of it. Good times :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
that you put your bike away for winter ,,could be 3 weeks or 3 months...you put it away saying this bike is great can wait to ride again....Then you start reading all the threads about problems and you start thinking ...gee i have all these problems..you start reading more an more to find cures for these problems that you never had ,when you put your bike up for the winter..i feel i been brained washed or maybe you been brained washed....anyone else feel that way
No because I have a mind of my own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kind of agree with the first post. I guess I have a problem - I love every motorcycle I've ever purchased. I prefer to adjust my riding technique to the idiosyncrasies of the particular motorcycle. I am always sorry when I sell to get something "better." In fact, I have purchased the same motorcycle twice on many occasions because I was sorry I sold it. Here's my list of motorcycles I purchased new twice - CRB1100xx, SV1000S, FJR1300, XV1400, and DR650S. I'm sure I left something out but that's all I can remember at this point. At any rate, unless you are racing or doing lots of track days, I don't understand the quest for a few more hp. I can see concern for the abrupt throttle, but I've also owned a TL1000S which I believe had the most ridiculous throttle response of any vehicle ever made. Still I loved that TL and would nurse it in traffic with lots of clutch slipping and early shifting to second gear. I have faith in the engineers at Suzuki that have done everything possible to make the machine run as perfectly as possible. With so many interconnected systems changing one thing or another often leads to a cascade of other "corrections"that from what I read on many posts seem to end up in a less desirable situation. Just my 2 cents.....:)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
For a budget bike this bike does everything great. With the exception of the tires, I love everything about this bike right out of the box.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never had a throttle issue and find the throttle on my bike to be one of the smoothest out of all the bikes I've ridden. Most 1000cc+ bikes are much, much more twitchy and temperamental than mine.

I've yet to change the pressure in my tires, but I think that will make me like them enough to wear them out before getting PR4s. I've always had the stock 42psi/rear and 36psi/front set up from the dealer. I'm hoping losing 6-8psi in the rear makes it heat up quicker and give me more grip.

If you don't think the suspension is great, get it set up for your weight by someone who knows what they're doing. Don't just adjust everything yourself. Take a ride on an FZ09 or FZ07 then ask yourself if your suspension is really that bad. While you're on the FZ09, you'll find the throttle way worse than our bikes as well.

Just because a few people can't get past some aspects of the bike THEY don't like, doesn't mean you should automatically agree with them. Why don't you take a look at this thread and read all the great things people are saying about it:

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...-rank-gsxs-among-other-bikes-youve-owned.html

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been riding off and on for over 40 years. What I have learned thru trying and owning all types of motorcycles is .... No bike is Perfect for everyone and if there is a perfect bike, I have not found it yet.

As far as this bike goes, I focus on the 99% of what this bike does that I like, and do not waste energy or time worrying about the 1% it doesn't do well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think the early ones had the jerky throttle, if anyone has a late 16 model and its jerky...maybe its a 15 that was still in the showroom, also I think that most of the jerky throttle posts are from the US and Canada, Im in the UK got a 16 F model, its got perfect throttle at any speed 30mph in top is smooth 3rd at 30, smooth. I had the suspension set up by a pro, the first time on any bike I have had. I have been on a fast route on the way home from work and it was fun, it felt like a lightweight 600, but as of yet due to work, I havnt been out on a blast with sportsbikes, but it will be very soon and I expect the GSXS to be competetive. Stop being worried and ride the **** thing.

Reactions: Nikga

·
Registered
261 Posts
I must admit due to all of the criticisms I would search for the same shortcomings on my bike. That being said I was happy that nothing discussed as criticism was any type of problem for me. I know that I am easily in the minority by saying I love the bikes frenetic nature i.e. [snatchy throttle], it made me learn how to tame the beast and now me and the bike get along just fine. As humans we are the ultimate ECU, Power commander or booster plug, with enough practice we can master anything and I've dam near mastered this bucking Bronco! I love this bike and it hits all the notes I need it to when I ride. Ride safe fellas and most of all master your bike!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Kind of agree with the first post. I guess I have a problem - I love every motorcycle I've ever purchased. I prefer to adjust my riding technique to the idiosyncrasies of the particular motorcycle. I am always sorry when I sell to get something "better." In fact, I have purchased the same motorcycle twice on many occasions because I was sorry I sold it. Here's my list of motorcycles I purchased new twice - CRB1100xx, SV1000S, FJR1300, XV1400, and DR650S. I'm sure I left something out but that's all I can remember at this point. At any rate, unless you are racing or doing lots of track days, I don't understand the quest for a few more hp. I can see concern for the abrupt throttle, but I've also owned a TL1000S which I believe had the most ridiculous throttle response of any vehicle ever made. Still I loved that TL and would nurse it in traffic with lots of clutch slipping and early shifting to second gear. I have faith in the engineers at Suzuki that have done everything possible to make the machine run as perfectly as possible. With so many interconnected systems changing one thing or another often leads to a cascade of other "corrections"that from what I read on many posts seem to end up in a less desirable situation. Just my 2 cents.....:)
had two dr650 in last 4 years...one on the best bikes out there...id crank at 80 90 mph for 100 mile trips......or coffee rides at night an just enjoy the plush ride

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'
Just because a few people can't get past some aspects of the bike THEY don't like, doesn't mean you should automatically agree with them. Why don't you take a look at this thread and read all the great things people are saying about it:

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...-rank-gsxs-among-other-bikes-youve-owned.html
when you say you is that you in general or me....if me then i dont automatically agree with most of the threads....it seems a lot of owners like me and yourself bought these bikes in dead of winter or cooler weather before winter..and really havent riden them much ...the 500 miles i did before a month lay off from snow ,i loved every thing about it....out of boardem..I became a member to kill time...lol...its funny how you hear the PC is the way to go....same people saying this been screwing around with then for a year lol...what they looking for......i leave it stock and look for nothing..just enjoy every time i jump on it............theres a few guys that feel like i do...if your a good rider you ride around this problem its second nature and its not a problem any more.....its not a bike to commute in stop an go traffice...its a beast it wants to go be riden...not chugging along.....long live the gsxs...im ready to ride whos with me yaaaaa

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
when you say you is that you in general or me....if me then i dont automatically agree with most of the threads....it seems a lot of owners like me and yourself bought these bikes in dead of winter or cooler weather before winter..and really havent riden them much ...the 500 miles i did before a month lay off from snow ,i loved every thing about it....out of boardem..I became a member to kill time...lol...its funny how you hear the PC is the way to go....same people saying this been screwing around with then for a year lol...what they looking for......i leave it stock and look for nothing..just enjoy every time i jump on it............theres a few guys that feel like i do...if your a good rider you ride around this problem its second nature and its not a problem any more.....its not a bike to commute in stop an go traffice...its a beast it wants to go be riden...not chugging along.....long live the gsxs...im ready to ride whos with me yaaaaa
It's awesome to commute on. Comfortable, good mpg, and long gears so you don't need to shift much if it's stop and go. I have no problem riding this at ~10mph in traffic, but when there's an opening it's definitely its time to shine.

Definitely a very versatile bike: can run 10s in the quarter if you have the skill, can hang in the twisties, and is comfortable enough to do 10+ hour days on. Not many bikes can do all those with relative ease.

Reactions: nicka

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's awesome to commute on. Comfortable, good mpg, and long gears so you don't need to shift much if it's stop and go. I have no problem riding this at ~10mph in traffic, but when there's an opening it's definitely its time to shine.

Definitely a very versatile bike: can run 10s in the quarter if you have the skill, can hang in the twisties, and is comfortable enough to do 10+ hour days on. Not many bikes can do all those with relative ease.
im with ya about bike doing it all....i was more a drag strip type many year ago...was never into twisties or road racing didnt have the skill....but at the drag strip ran 11.1s on 100 hp bikes if temps where right,,i assume the guys who change shocks springs are more into track days..i like a soft ride....so my only interest in motorcycles is a hotrod feel.arm pulling power..i spend very little or no time in traffic .....anyway the spell has been broken im back to normal new shocks ,springs. flash...power commander..booster plug...ect ect wont change a thing for me...just want to ride a bike i will never master...keep fear in my heart and a smile on my face...and run many many many years trouble free.....whats better then that........but my offer holds, i live in boston usa...if anyone has a gsxs or f and has power commander and exhaust dyno tune and wants to bang a few gears against stock gsxs im your guy...and yes results will be posted

·
Registered
10 Posts
What people decide to do with their bike has no effect on me.
I know that we all have different tastes and expectations. We all like to personalize our
bike somewhat.I have never had a throttle problem (2016 1000f). So no issues there.
I use the bike solo for short daily jaunts and as a commuter in the summer.I couldn`t be happier.
I recently went to the local bike show and didn`t see one motorcycle I`d rather have.
I have changed out exhausts on bikes in the past in search of more power or better sound...
again,I find the stock exhaust to be perfect.Same with the suspension.
I have added rim tape,different levers and a dark smoke screen;not because there was anything
wrong...just because I liked the look.When my tires wear out I`ll search this site to see what all the posters suggest buying,but again,I find no fault with the stock tires.But I am open to the possibility of another tire being better.
For my money,there is not a better bike for me.When I purchased the bike,it was the most bike for the least money.It came with a 5 year warranty and $500 in free extras.The local Kawasaki dealership had a 2014 Ninja 1000 leftover that had a 1 year warranty and no extras for $2000 more.No Thanks!
So I say, Ride Your Ride.Add what you want and do what you want to do.I feel bad that some people have legitimate problems. But for ME...BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What people decide to do with their bike has no effect on me.
I know that we all have different tastes and expectations. We all like to personalize our
bike somewhat.I have never had a throttle problem (2016 1000f). So no issues there.
I use the bike solo for short daily jaunts and as a commuter in the summer.I couldn`t be happier.
I recently went to the local bike show and didn`t see one motorcycle I`d rather have.
I have changed out exhausts on bikes in the past in search of more power or better sound...
again,I find the stock exhaust to be perfect.Same with the suspension.
I have added rim tape,different levers and a dark smoke screen;not because there was anything
wrong...just because I liked the look.When my tires wear out I`ll search this site to see what all the posters suggest buying,but again,I find no fault with the stock tires.But I am open to the possibility of another tire being better.
For my money,there is not a better bike for me.When I purchased the bike,it was the most bike for the least money.It came with a 5 year warranty and $500 in free extras.The local Kawasaki dealership had a 2014 Ninja 1000 leftover that had a 1 year warranty and no extras for $2000 more.No Thanks!
So I say, Ride Your Ride.Add what you want and do what you want to do.I feel bad that some people have legitimate problems. But for ME...BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED!
I don't even own one yet, so I can't speak to the throttle problem, but your endorsement makes me feel better. I have made an offer on an "F" and if I get it, I will make a proper introduction with the mandatory pics. I hope it doesn't have the throttle problem. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't even own one yet, so I can't speak to the throttle problem, but your endorsement makes me feel better. I have made an offer on an "F" and if I get it, I will make a proper introduction with the mandatory pics. I hope it doesn't have the throttle problem. :)
I got an early one ie I rang the dealer and waited for them to arrive early. Its a little grumpy and pops and farts at low rpm (I do like the noises it makes hehe) honestly even if the one you get does that just dont chug it in higher gears than needed, trail brake and a little clutch and no round about is a problem. Its more minor annoyance than problem. Its funny, if your bike does it you know what people are talking about but if it doesn't it either sounds really bad or blown out of proportion. Take one for a ride, I think you'll like it. ;)

DISCLAIMER: I just came back from a lap of a national park, I'm very biased right now :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just miss riding my bike and spend my time waiting for Life to begin again :)

Bikes are mass produced at a price point. When i decided on getting a new bike i figured out how much can i get for my old bike and what is my budget. Then i read about 20 or so diffrent bikes, looked at them in bike shops etc.. Finally decided i wanted new rather than 2 years old this narrowed the search.

When i decided to buy my bike i had already evauated what i did not like personally and how much it would cost to put right.

PC5 to fix fueling issues
upgrade lights
Alarm
decided to live with tyres as factry ones dont last so long on the back then upgraded those and anyways who cares about the tyres when you are running in.

this year i decided on quickshifter (because i wanted it)

over the winter i just remember i got this bike to enjoy it and thats what i do !
everything else other people say is wrong with it i dont care or dont see it as issues for what i use the bike for

the great thing is if i decide to start doing track days or somthing else ie i change what i want from the bike I have the money to upgrade things when i want to. If i got the top of the rage super duper bike i would have been broke or would not own a new bike rather a bike that would now be 3 - 4 years old :)

I love my bike and it works for me !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts