GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just put a £100 deposit down for a pre-registered 'F' Touring Edition that's 7 months old. "Delivery miles only". It was £9k... does this sound reasonable? Should I have haggled at my local dealers for a new one? Most dealers online are showing 10k plus admin fees etc.

Many Thanks,

chicken george

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi,

I've just put a £100 deposit down for a pre-registered 'F' Touring Edition that's 7 months old. "Delivery miles only". It was £9k... does this sound reasonable? Should I have haggled at my local dealers for a new one? Most dealers online are showing 10k plus admin fees etc.

Many Thanks,

chicken george
paid 9300 for mine last march and love the bike , but i do think at the mo if you shop around you will find cheaper about

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
:laugh:Welcome Aboard:laugh:
Sounds good to me! If mine had delivery miles only on it and it was £1500 off I'd be quite happy.
Those few miles aren't going to mean a thing in a couple of years but you now have all the extras of the touring edition , £1500 pound off new, and don't have to spend out on any extras. Or £1500 towards any extras you didn't have to spend out on and can spend on something else depending how you look at it:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and replies. The Touring edition has heated grips (i read they are not so good), touring screen, tank bag, tail bag and extra decals.

Delivery miles don't bother me as i'll be doing approx. 15k miles a year.

I understand the time of year and the geographical location in the UK can make all the difference. I've got this little voice inside my head saying "are you sure that's the best deal."

Obviously i'd lose the deposit. However, how much haggling would be needed to get a dealer down to £9300, was that all in OTR?

Ok, i'd not get the touring extras but i'd get an extra 7 months warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
7 months ago Touring model was £8400 , Suzuki did £1.5K off list price for september and October, I know, I bought one :)
Get them to change the grips for Oxford ones, free of charge as the Suzuki ones only heat half the grip, and my dealer put one side upside down, so the bit I didnt grip got luke warm, The Touring screen is very good at keeping wind blast off, my dealer also gave me the original F screen, as the Touring stuff comes in a pack that they add onto an ordinary F, see if you can get that also.
Lots of dealers pre registered the cheaper ones, so they would still be able to sell them later, the naked version was only £7600. Looks like you may have found one of the last ones, IF they will sell at a lower price, ask them when it was registered and remind them of the price drop in Sept and Oct

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks like they've robbed me blind then. The bike was registered OCT 2016. Also, it seems that the touring edition is £300 a year more expensive to insure for some ridiculous reason.

Edit. The insurance quote is with Bennetts, looks like i'll be changing insurance companys.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I hadn't realised they had been running an offer on them. I paid £10,500 in Sept 2015 and didn't get F all with it, other than RAC cover which I already have:(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to drop the pre-registered and lose the deposit and go for a new L8 model. Only cost £450 more (i had to pay £225 delivery on top of the previous deal).

Ok, so I don't get the touring kit, but apart from the screen, i'd probably not use the tail/tank bags often.

Thanks all for your input.

Much Appreciated.

chicken george

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wouldn't fret about the deposit. You were smart enough to walk away and get a good deal on a new bike that has a slipper clutch, 7 more HP and black levers and rearsets.

You did good, even with losing your deposit. Honestly though, the dealer should have given you the money back. He offered you a crappy deal and you busted him on it.

Next time ask questions before you put a deposit down ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid 8200 OTD It was like 7500 + all the taxes and fees. Dealer also said he was losing money but it had to go and for me not to tell anyone haha. Who knows

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie looking to buy GSXS1000F

Hi,

Found this forum as looking at buying a GSXS1000F, and was researching any issues these have (found throttle snatchiness and TPS fix). Have seen a 2016 model unregistered for just shy of £8000, do you think this would be a good buy or better to pay more and get a latest model.

Cheers in advance.
Marc.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Unregistered meaning new? I'm not sure what you can get the latest model for, but I wouldn't worry too much about the changes from 2016 to 2017. If the difference is a lot, save yourself some money, if not, what color do you like?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The new 2017 models have 5bhp more apparently, 8k, go for it its cheaper than what I paid!!
I have the 2016 F model and have no throttle snatch, great bike, sounds amazing with a decat to :)

Oh Insurance couldnt find the Touring version, so I just said it was an F and did it that way :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep new unregistered so would be a 67 plate if registered 1st September. I prefer the blue colour scheme tho not sure whether I prefer the new or old scheme best. Had a look for the new model and an ex demo LA8 17 plate is around £9k so a grand saving.

·
Registered
217 Posts
try it, if you like it get it!

Hi,

Found this forum as looking at buying a GSXS1000F, and was researching any issues these have (found throttle snatchiness and TPS fix). Have seen a 2016 model unregistered for just shy of £8000, do you think this would be a good buy or better to pay more and get a latest model.

Cheers in advance.
Marc.
Ye i remember being in your shoes, all the negative reviews by so called experts. They couldn't be further from the truth! I tried it and got it in does 15 minutes at the dealer;)

Listen to does (yes including my self) that appreciate such a fine bike. The throttle is light, yet its also fuel injected right?
It's easy to stiffen it a bit to your liking (i did it in 5 minutes), i split lanes all day in L.A. (cali), fun in canyons and more. One of the best bikes that i have ever had! (easy to install cases for work & removal)

here are nice reviews for you (let the glass be half full, it's what you make of it) if you know how to ride with good throttle control, you will love this bike!:

PS: Did go to a 190/55/17 (that's what am use to, and it handles even better than the 50)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi,

Cheers in advance.
Marc.
Hi Marc,
Thus 'snatchy' throttle stuff needs to be put into perspective. There are two separate issue's, both lumped into this one term.

The 2014/15 Bikes had a emissions issue where the ECU was overreacting and surging on and off the speed (rider's hand on the grip being steady).
In Feb 2016 build date, the ECU was given a firmware update to stop this overactive feedback loop.

All year's production have an emissions which is termed Fuel Cut where as soon as the Rider backs off the throttle grip pressure, the ECU cut's the fuel to the throttle bodies.
This shows up while in slow steady traffic, and is not at all noticeable if and when you are 'up it for the rent', so to speak.
If the TPS is off just a fraction, this really compounds this second problem as it makes severe engine braking by compression. So set the TPS accurately.

Rob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts