GSXS 1000 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That should look great. I've always liked the twin exhaust look.
I'd be very interested to see some pics when its done and have your opinion on finish quality. Some sound clips would be nice too if possible:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Reminds me of my Sv1000s I just sold with twin carbon termignoni cans. I miss that sound. These do look great and have a nice idle note.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish there was a way to reverse this mod without getting a whole new stock exhaust system. One of my rules when modding is the ability to reverse it relatively easily.

·
Registered
440 Posts
thanks.losing that amount of weight is good enough for me to remove the cat .
I kept the stock slip on and removed the box and cat. It now has a nice rumble at idle and at a steady cruise about the same as stock. Once you open it up it’s louder but not excessive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I kept the stock slip on and removed the box and cat. It now has a nice rumble at idle and at a steady cruise about the same as stock. Once you open it up it’s louder but not excessive.
im confused , I thought the big box was the cat ,I too want to keep te stock muffler I like the look it flows with the lines of the bike ,and you can see more of the swing arm since the muffler is small .

·
Registered
440 Posts
The box is mainly for sound tuning, the cat is in the header pipe. It needs to be chiseled out. Easiest thing is pull the header off and cut everything then. Radiator can be left on the bike, just loosen it and move it out of the way. Its really not difficult, header comes off pretty easy just difficult getting to a few bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The box is mainly for sound tuning, the cat is in the header pipe. It needs to be chiseled out. Easiest thing is pull the header off and cut everything then. Radiator can be left on the bike, just loosen it and move it out of the way. Its really not difficult, header comes off pretty easy just difficult getting to a few bolts.
ok I got now. I like to do my own work .so I may have the right tools to do the job,if not I will get the tools for the job
thanks for all the info

·
Registered
173 Posts
Umm, so the cat is in the pipe, not the box. Good to know. So to be clear, by cutting the stock pipe at the specified location for this mod, will the cat still be Ok, i.e is it completely on the part being removed? I want to be able to go back to 100% stock after soldering back, including cat. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Umm, so the cat is in the pipe, not the box. Good to know. So to be clear, by cutting the stock pipe at the specified location for this mod, will the cat still be Ok, i.e is it completely on the part being removed? I want to be able to go back to 100% stock after soldering back, including cat. Thanks

If you are wanting to install the dominator or similar link pipe you will need to cut through the cat thereby destroying it. It's all or nothing. If you're worried about passing vehicle inspection then don't touch it. In Australia it's not such a big deal but that isn't true for some other countries.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for th info man! It’s not for inspection, I would just prefer having the option to go back. Unfortunate!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for th info man! It’s not for inspection, I would just prefer having the option to go back. Unfortunate!

Find yourself a friend who put a full system on and has a stock header collecting dust in his garage and buy it for a song. Then either cut that one or yours, and always have a way back to stock.

·
Registered
631 Posts

It's an improvement so no need to go back. Problem solved.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am not clear how you have your exhaust set up from your description but it may not matter. I fantasized about not taking the exhaust off as I stated in previous post. I think my photo is attached and it shows what you end up cutting through if you measure back the 95 cm as indicated You measure from the weld which is not a clear point to measure from. Maybe if I measured 10 more cm further I would not have had to cut through both walls as you can see in the photo and I still would have been able to fit the decat pipe and stock muffler on. In fact I had to really shove the pipe down as far as possible to get things to like up.

Even if I did not have to cut through both walls I would not have wanted to do that on the bike. Guys have said they did but I cannot see how. It really was not to much work to get the stock system off. It really just required taking the radiator off which was not nearly as much work as getting the dam fairing halves off. As you can see if the photo is there, the valve remains as does the O2 sensor. You can unplug the O2 sensor somewhere up under the tank rather than trying to take it out of the exhaust.
I cant see why this cannot be cut whilst on the bike with an angle grinder equipped with a fresh cutting disc. Then all that has to be done is remove the unwanted rear pipe, leaving the valve cables, o2 sensor and manifold bolts undisturbed.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts