GSXS 1000 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I cut my cat off and installed the oli decat on the bike lol. I used oscillating multi tool from Ryobi and two carbide blades. Took awhile but no hiccups, I did have a metal disk / piece i wedged between engine cover and exhaust to prevent me from hitting engine case

At the very very edge, like toP inner area I did with it the metal piece and finished the cut, I bumped into the engine case a few little pokes. Just a little scratch no damage. It was from edge of blade going back fourth

Anyway took 20 minutes. Worth it it was for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It really didn’t take long. I went through like 2 carbide tipped blades. Those blades cost me 25 dollars for like 3 lol.

The I took a few 5 minute breaks to let the tool cool down, it was middle of summer and poor thing was struggling after minutes of going at it.

Chiseling the cats out though took a bit longer than cutting the pipe. Got them all out though.

I posted pics at some point but due to space constraints I kept deleting photos for new photos on this site

·
Registered
265 Posts
Going to give it a go on the bike next week with a 9 inch disc cutter, what is the measurement of cut from the seam weld on the silencer please.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Took the exhaust off in the end, it was dodgy with the disc cutter bouncing around. Cut the pipe, refitted headers but now the rear silencer bolt is way too long and pokes right through into the right side footrest. Black marks for Dominator exhausts here- the fitting instructions were non existent and they should have supplied a replacement mounting bolt of the correct size. I can only assume the fitting of an aftermarket system will also encounter this problem given the design of the rear hanger assembly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some how I got the impression the installation would be relatively simple. Changing the oil is not simple on this bike. It was once I had the fairing off, the radiator off and the exhaust system off. Yes I think you really do need to remove all that to make the cut. The cut is also not a simple matter since there is a double wall. 95cm back there is still some part of a screen for the cat that you cut through. I got thing kind of clamped in the vice to get started, went through a couple of sawsall blade and repositioned it several times and finished it off with a hack saw. If someone managed to do this on the bike I would like to see a video of that trick. I tried putting it back on and found that the decat pipe has a mounting bracket suggesting it would like to be hung from the same point as the original cat. The bolt that goes through that mount is too long so its off to the hardware store. Most places are not likely to have an 8mm by 5.5 inch bolt but I am hoping a 5/16 will work. It looks like you could get away without using this mounting point if you use the stock muffler. My after market can did not mount to the foot peg bracket so I would think you would want to use the original mounting point for the cat.

I am hoping to get it all back together this evening because if I don't I will likely forget where some of the bolts go or how some of the panels go back on. The turn signal block connectors had me stumped for while and the little black bottom part of the front lower is ridiculous. how you are suppose to know where to put a flat head screw driver in and pop it apart is beyond me. I did not figure that one out until after I had both side off and could not get it past the font tire.
I too had the mounting bolt problem, Dominator should have supplied a suitable replacement, what length did you use in the end and was it fitted with rubber mount washers?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Take the rubbers and washers out of the silencer box you just cut off. When mine was all said and done the bolt was the perfect length.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Job done, cut the rubber mount tags off the old turkey tray and used them on the new pipe mount. Looks much neater now and doesn't sound too noisy on idle, need some dryness and not floods now for a road test. Just ridden it and love the sound and look of the pipe but there is a high rev vibration in the right footrest to be cured.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello guys, I'm in the process of decat my GSXS1000 bike. I already ordered the middle pipe and an universal slip on. I want to achieve two things: I want my bike louder as possible and remove the snatching on low gears. The bike is still under warranty but I cannot wait any more to get this modification.

As soon as I get the parts I'll install them and will send the ECU to Dano's to get it flashed. I spoke to Dano and he says this is the most common modification people do to this bike. He says, after this modification I'll be very happy. What do you guys think? How is your bike performing after this type of modification? Thanks.
I ordered these parts:

This slip-on is the louder than I could find.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This has been discussed 1000 times before. Threads on here full of people praising the Dano tune and its all positive.
A shorter muffler is usually louder.
The m4, sc project gp or similar will be louder than the one you posted here.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I want a thundering sound like this Harley Davidson Roadster

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ha.. good one.
I want the torque of a ducati diavel, the horsepower of a v4 panigale, the comfort of a BMW GS, the sound of an aprilia rsv1000r and the reliability and low maintenance of a Suzuki.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, let's get them all :LOL:
The sound of this Roadster reminds me of the Harley Davidson Fat Boy on the Terminator 2 movie. I'll play the song "Bad to the bone" with George Thorogood. Oh, too bad I can't have a 12 gauge gun with me while ridding:(

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mate of mine has the new fat boy with straight pipes.. it's badass.. obnoxious as he1l but badass...
The gsxs sounds great and puts a smile on my face but its not even in the top 20 for me.. I miss my sv1000s

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow! I was just checking the Harley Davidson site, the Fat Boy is only $21,549 custom color 1,868 cc, MPG 47, not bad at all. Too bad I'm too small, if I was 6'5" I'll definitely would get it for me as my birthday present.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts