GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed several times but no one seems to actually advise how it is done although I believe it has been achieved by several:

How do you get both headlights to come on dipped and both to go full beam? I really don't like having one light out. I did it on my Fazer but no where seems to explain for to do it on the GSX-S1000F

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It's not a good idea unless you are going to change the whole assembly. If you don't the high beam side will be deflecting light everywhere even on low beam.
There is a good post on here were a guy has put a pair of projector lamps into the front fairing. It looks pretty good but it was also a lot of work and needed quite a bit of modding to the fairing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
My solution is... I only ride during daylight hours and high beams are on at all times, hence, both lights.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The single headlight is a safety feature. To oncoming cars in the dark, two headlights close together look like a car that is further away, and someone will pull out into the oncoming lane to pass, not realizing how close you are, and kill you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That sounds ridiculous enough to be european legislation! :eek:
I suspect it is, that would explain why in recent years all the manufacturers have starting designing their bikes this way. I can think of a few older bikes that have dual headlights and both are on, so it must be recent legislation.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I suspect it is, that would explain why in recent years all the manufacturers have starting designing their bikes this way. I can think of a few older bikes that have dual headlights and both are on, so it must be recent legislation.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but the ZX-14R in the U.S. (ZZR1400 in other parts of the world) has both lights on for both low beam and high beam from the factory.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't know about the rest of the world, but the ZX-14R in the U.S. (ZZR1400 in other parts of the world) has both lights on for both low beam and high beam from the factory.
As does my V-Strom and my new Tiger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My old ZX6R does this too. Fantastic lights, however, there is a caveat: - the reflectors must be designed for this. A high beam globe in the cavity for a low beam only lights is going to be all over the shop, probably dazzling drivers.

Riding with high beams on during the day is a bad thing to do. It's going to piss off drivers, and dazzle them. It's probably quite likely to cause them to drift towards you like a stunned deer. Also probably illegal (It is in Australia - most states say no high beam within 200m of another operating vehicle).

·
Registered
204 Posts
an answer to your question

I know this has been discussed several times but no one seems to actually advise how it is done although I believe it has been achieved by several:

How do you get both headlights to come on dipped and both to go full beam? I really don't like having one light out. I did it on my Fazer but no where seems to explain for to do it on the GSX-S1000F
I will answer your question

I did this using zenon kits but it can be done using standard bulbs as well

what you do :

change the bulbs from H7 (2 pin) to H4 (3pin)

the lights are currenlty wired

LOW: one pin power one pin ground / -ve
High : one pin power one pin ground/ -ve

you need to end up with

2x

1pin low power
1 pin high power
1 pin ground/-ve (same sa before)

you do this by running the wires from one headlight to the other so its not that hard

things to watch out for:

i used zenon with projector so was able to position the projecters within the headlight unit so they did not dazzle
if you use bulbs you need to check that the main beam light is not going to dazzle people and i dont know if its adjustable (because i didn't need to due to useing projectors and adjusting the position of the entire projector instead)

If you get stuck PM me and i will help you out :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Reading all this I have a cheeky solution

Buy the naked like real men do ;-)

Awaits a flaming :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's not a good idea unless you are going to change the whole assembly. If you don't the high beam side will be deflecting light everywhere even on low beam.
There is a good post on here were a guy has put a pair of projector lamps into the front fairing. It looks pretty good but it was also a lot of work and needed quite a bit of modding to the fairing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put HID Projectors in mine, so have both on low and high beams, but just looking at my spare reflectors and both sides are virtually identical, so obviously both sides are designed to work with low and high beams, so rewiring with H4s shouldn't cause any problems.

The only differences I can see are a slot below the hole for the bulb

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Left and right are very different.
The left low beam reflectors are convex.
The right high beam reflectors are concave which focuses the beam.
Just try adjusting the lenses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where are you from, I'm in SE Asia and the reflectors are the same shape
same shape, Yes, the same? No.

If you look between the "ridges" in the reflector, one side will appear to make things smaller in the reflection, the other a tad larger or less distorted. hence Mr Boost's comment of "convex and concave".

·
Registered
541 Posts
Riding with high beams on during the day is a bad thing to do. It's going to piss off drivers, and dazzle them. It's probably quite likely to cause them to drift towards you like a stunned deer. Also probably illegal (It is in Australia - most states say no high beam within 200m of another operating vehicle).
It's also much more difficult for the other drivers to determine speed and distance. The human eye doesn't do well with bright point light sources, even in the day time. Was driving with my dad the other day, and we saw the bright blinking light (probably for aircraft) we thought was several miles away across a valley. Came around a bend past the trees, and there was the base of the tower.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i have heard several people mention that they ride with their high beams on during the day because they think it makes them more visible and therefore safer. I have not seen any evidence that the high beam during the day time will make one safer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It 100% makes you more visible but if you then blind them, is it then safer? Probably not.
I personally don't think you need high beams, I just drove down the entire m5 and I saw every biker who was filtering, yes I'm a biker who looks for them but also there headlights bounce and cause a flicking, especially the sports bikes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are always running around with your high beams on, what do you have left in your arsenal to warn others in an emergency? Just your dicky little horn and your middle finger?

As I live in the country I always drive with headights on, the difference between seeing cars and bikes with headlights on and not is exaggerated greatly when the road you are on is dead straight for 50km.
No need for your high beams during daytime for "others" to see you, I just see it as an old hangup from the older riders that where only used to running around having to fill their headlights up with kero. (and most of my Harley mates do it aswell as their headlights are ****!). Or only used to 1 candlewatt filaments...

In all seriousness, with todays tech in lighting you are really missing the point if your running with your high's on all day. fit DRL's or a miriad of other options that will help people see you, and then still have your high beams as a warning mechanisim as they are intended for, and safer for all other road users.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts