GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunlop Sportmax D214 tires - are they really as bad as I hear? I commute in Chicago and don't want to be sliding around in wet or cold weather. Anybody have experience with these? They came stock on the bike and I'm considering swapping them out since they're still brand new and are (hopefully) worth something. Are they worth money as new take-offs?? I had Pirelli Angel GTs on my GSX-S750 and they were freaking amazing.

Should I preemptively remove and replace with something better?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I commute all year in all conditions from 1C to 40C. I've had a couple of sketchy moments on the original tyres but nothing that traction control and a little skill can't overcome. If you have the resources then I'd say go ahead and change them, personally I let them wear out which they will do quickly anyway. My rear copped a piece of steel and was replaced prematurely with a Michelin road 5 which is an incredible tyre. I'm still running the Dunlop front at over 11k kilometres and only thinking I'll replace it now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I wouldn’t say the OEMs are terrible tyres but there is better rubber out there.
I found them fine for the running in period and did use them all winter without any mishap. 3000 miles and they were dead 1 if which was running in. I won’t ever be going back to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Never assume that Factory tyres as fitted are identical to what you can get locally. The fitted as OEM D214 is made to Suzuki's spec for the GSX-S 1000. The ones you would see in your local tyre shop are a better local tyre more times than not.
Euro and USA tyres of the same name and sub type often are quite different in regard to characteristics of comfort, handling in wet and dry etc etc.

Rob.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
lot of times an oem type tire can have less rubber on them as in less thread depth to cut cost when buying say 2000 sets of tires...stock 50 seems a lot flatter also less of a crown

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm also near Chicago. I think the tires suck, felt greasy at times. But i did ride in low 30s this winter and a little parking lot practice had me trusting the TC more.

For general commuting, I'll use them up before I swap. If I was still in CA and canyon carving, no way.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also near Chicago. I think the tires suck, felt greasy at times. But i did ride in low 30s this winter and a little parking lot practice had me trusting the TC more.

For general commuting, I'll use them up before I swap. If I was still in CA and canyon carving, no way.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Gotcha, thank you. What's all this talk about switching to a 55 series tire?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently switched to a 190/55 and couldnt be happier. Running Dunlop sportmax Q3+ - dealership i picked these up from doesn't even keep 50s in stock because he said the 55 is so much better of a tire. I ride twistys hard and I could notice the bike would lean in much easier and generally felt more stable when really leaning over. I'm never going back to a 50.

Here's a little video of me hitting some curves:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know. Think it's worth removing these brand new Dunlops and switching to a better tire that is 55 as well? They literally have zero miles on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to know. Think it's worth removing these brand new Dunlops and switching to a better tire that is 55 as well? They literally have zero miles on them.
I wouldn't bother - especially while the bike is in break in for the first couple hundred miles. They are still a decent tire, but wouldn't run it more than 2000-2500 miles. My local dealership has a $60 rebate for a set of Dunlops. I think this runs til the end of may? I can't recommend the Dunlop q3+ enough if you are a spirited rider.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't bother - especially while the bike is in break in for the first couple hundred miles. They are still a decent tire, but wouldn't run it more than 2000-2500 miles. My local dealership has a $60 rebate for a set of Dunlops. I think this runs til the end of may? I can't recommend the Dunlop q3+ enough if you are a spirited rider.
OK apologies for the subject change but do you guys really follow the break in recommendations for RPM limits?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts