1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Video of results :nerd:
https://youtu.be/Wn8V4uiU1Js

In Short:
the gsx-s1000 badly needs the PCv for safety and performance. For me it was safety that drove it and the performance boost was a nice bonus.

Back story: :mad:
Buying this new bike i was excited about the comfort and performance. I read about the snatchy throttle but did not think it would be as bad. I tried to live with it but had issues on the track... especially mid corner getting on the gas upset the suspension :mad:. On the street I could live with it but it really spooked my girl when she is on the back :mad:. Also needless stress on the chain and rear tire :mad:. I took the plunge and installed the PCv. A lot of people dont seem convinced with the results and therefore I compiled a video to demonstrate the differences and they are drastic. Smoother more predictable throttle and much faster acceleration throughout the rev range. I tested the bike on the same stretch of road for the snatchyness and acceleration. The on/off throttle was on public roads on different days. The 4th gear acceleration was on closed track the same day, same air temp, same air speed. I tried to test the conditions as closely as possible with only the PCv installed.

I hope this helps clear up some of the mystery shrouding this issue.

Also big thanks to this forum for helping me arrive to this solution.

edit: no affiliation with dynojet or anyone that works there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was hoping to do some data logging with an accelerometer and Bazzaz and do something similar. Problem I've run into though, and this may not be as much an issue for you, is the O2 eliminator. I live at 4500 feet, so eliminating the O2 sensor has a significant impact, I've gone through and decremented all cells in the map by 7% to try to match a lower elevation (Bazzaz tech support recommended 6%, but the oxygen partial pressure here is 14% lower than sea-level, so I'm slowly trying to work out the best result). But aside from logging data with the Bazzaz completely removed and then installed with a custom tuned map, I cannot isolate the cause of the change. Though the change is without a doubt spectacular and well worth it. I think I may do a map -7% (or whatever I settle on) all across the board and see if it behaves like stock, use that as a presumed baseline.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sangedegsx, Thanks for a very meaningful and intelligent post. The number posts on this forum that are worth reading has declined significantly in the last few months but, unfortunately, that is the way that many forums go. Your video efforts are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sangedegsx, Thanks for a very meaningful and intelligent post. The number posts on this forum that are worth reading has declined significantly in the last few months but, unfortunately, that is the way that many forums go. Your video efforts are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.
Appreciate it. I really suffered when i changed from my cbr1k to the gsxs. Now I finally love the bike again and it can be competitive and fun on the track. I was frustrated and when i searched online for videos and info it wasnt clear if this would really work. When i first rode the bike (with the pcv) i had a monstrous smile on my face because i was so nervous it wouldnt work. I was worried the improvements wouldnt translate on video but its incredibly evident. Hope others benefit from this.

I know suzuki is changing ECUs but I still think the bike will benefit from a remap with some aftermarket dynojet or similar.

·
Registered
541 Posts
In your case it seems like you could really benefit from investing in the auto tune. I didnt get it since the o2 sensor hole is too small and a new one has to be welded on. If this didnt fix my bike i would have gone and done it.
Been thinking about it, need new tires first. For now the map wide adjustment (to the Bazzaz map) seems to working just fine. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research on the differences between Z-Fi and PCV. With PCV the auto tuner can make real time adjustments, a definite benefit for me since my commute ranges through a couple thousand feet; Z-Fi auto tuner doesn't make real time adjustments. Had I known, I'd have waited longer and got the more expensive DynoJet set up. As is, the Bazzaz works just fine, but the benefit to an auto tuner is somewhat less.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As is, the Bazzaz works just fine, but the benefit to an auto tuner is somewhat less.
Im glad you found a solution! Especially for a commuter you need the engine to be very smooth and predictable... cant have these incredibly unsafe surges when its raining or on slippery roads.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very thorough analysis. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Duplicates what I have seen with mine and the Autotune has tweaked the map to make it even better.
Thank you. Do you have any feedback what it was like with the PCv without the autotune and then with the autotune on?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thank you. Do you have any feedback what it was like with the PCv without the autotune and then with the autotune on?

When I get a chance, I'll load a zero map and ride, then load the map that came with the PC and ride, then go to the Autotune map and ride.

Not sure how soon that will be.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get a chance, I'll load a zero map and ride, then load the map that came with the PC and ride, then go to the Autotune map and ride.

Not sure how soon that will be.
Understood... it would be great to really understand and see the difference. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Great vid. That shows the problem more easily than all the words and conjecture on here so far
Maybe someone who's not happy should show THAT to their dealer and see what they say about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sangedegsx, thanks for posting the video. It is so convencing, however, that I respectfully must ask you if you have any direct or indirect financial interest in the company that produces the PCV?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good video and good work with the PCV+mapping.
The funny thing is that I am one that like the "snatchy"("lively") throttle action. :)
But I do not doubt that most will like this "smoothed out".

What I really liked with the mapping was the increased acceleration (60-130) :D

Looking forward to do some mapping soon with my bike.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was "job impaired" and the auto tune kept me from going crazy, a few years back.

You know what its probelem is? There is no good way to make a baseline for what it should tune to by seat of your pants.

You have the option of setting the air fuel ratio at each and every percentage of throttle opening, and at each and every available rpm.

Your bike will run best when set between @ 13.2 ...give or take .5.

But, unless you use a dyno , you never really knwo where to do that give/take. So, you end up hoping, and guessing. No problem, but thats what you did before the auto tune was installed. Also, when you start making small changes, its very tough to feel.

Maybe that is no big deal? Who cares, but thats why you bought auto tune....to be exact and accurate.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sangedegsx, thanks for posting the video. It is so convencing, however, that I respectfully must ask you if you have any direct or indirect financial interest in the company that produces the PCV?

Yeah. I was worried people might think this is a sales pitch. It's really not and I'm not in any way affiliated with them. I'm just a guy that changed bikes and was really frustrated. Also don't have a ton of money so investing in a PCv was a risk. I was happy with the results and wanted to share because so many others complained. As others mentioned results vary but in my case it was night and day.

I now have signed up for a new track day and can wait do to a full day with the pcV unlike the last one where I had it on only for one session. New Pirelli Corsa 3 tires with a 190/55 instead of the stock 190/50 which will be a huge improvement. Super excited :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My throttle was never as bad as your video shows, I can now see why people are so pissed!
I installed a pcv last week, with the standard map it comes with, the difference is so noticeable, straight away it put a smile on my face.
But I had it dynoed on Saturday just to get a base record, it was 139.5hp, but the guy was quite alarmed at how weak it was running in the low revs, and at how little fuel it was getting.
I will soon be investing in an autotune, it was so much better with the pcv, if its going to get better again.... I cant wait.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But I had it dynoed on Saturday just to get a base record, it was 139.5hp, but the guy was quite alarmed at how weak it was running in the low revs, and at how little fuel it was getting.
I will soon be investing in an autotune, it was so much better with the pcv, if its going to get better again.... I cant wait.

I'm really curious to see impressions from adding an auto tune after having the pcV on there. Curious if it's a big improvement.

Also the 139.5hp is relative since dynos have a ton of variation. Best to do a before after dyno to have a comparison base point.

What altitude are you at?

Remember you'll need to wend on a new o2 sensor hole since the stock one is too small from what I read in other posts.

Please let us know the improvements when the auto tune is on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
IN his first post, start of his thread. He clearly has this posted. Its edited, so he may have added it later, but he says:

edit: no affiliation with dynojet or anyone that works there.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts