GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a leftover GSX-S1000F and have put maybe 50 miles on it. Nice upgrade from my high mileage 2006 Kawasaki Z750S! Never bought a new bike before, was a interesting experience. After everything was finalized and they'd prepped the bike the salesman gives me a quick little demo of the controls for the T/C and whatnot then he goes to mention that I should avoid using ethanol gas if possible!?! He said it's hard on the FI system. I never read about that in my hours of research and if it's really a issue with these bikes I'd have probably passed on it.

Closest station that sells straight gas is a good 20 miles away and the only grade available is 87 regular. He said it wasn't THAT big a deal and gave me a little bottle of this stuff called "ethanol equalizer" with instructions to use a cap full (1/2 oz or so) per full tank of E10.

I ran E10 in my fuel injected Kawasaki for over 50,000 miles and it still runs perfectly. Ethanol fuel sucks admittedly but this stuff has been in widespread use in the US for well over a decade....surely a modern motorcycle sold here is built to cope with it? I'm sure straight gas is better for the bike (it's better for everything, really) but is E10 really something to be avoided in the GSX-S?

·
Registered
719 Posts
you assumption about most modern motorcycles is correct....your bike will run just fine with 90 to 93 octane with ethanol in the US.

The minimal pump octane for our bikes using the AKI (anti knock index) is 90. Our bikes are good with up to e10 (10% ethanol). different methods of calculating "pump octane" are used around the world. The USA likes to use AKI.
AKI is found by taking the average of the two main other methods of calculating pump octane. . RON+MON/2=AKI This is why europe appears to have higher octane fuel, but not really. Its just math.

premium fuel in the USA with 10% ethanol (gasohol) typically has a pump octane rating of 92ish using AKI. This means it meets the specs for our bikes.

Some midgrade fuels in the USA have an AKI rating of 90 which would also make them technically acceptable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No engine "likes" E10 or E15. And yes in an ideal world we would all use pure gasoline. But every engine produced since 2000 or so has been built with a fuel injection system designed to accept those blends. Are Ethanol blends rougher on injectors than normal gas? Yes, but thats not unique to the GSX. Thats true with any bike and/or automobile thats fuel injected. And I haven't seen any evidence of the GSX having injector issues.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd say the biggest issue for motorcycles (which you're already familiar with) is that many are stored for several months a year, or at least not ridden as much. Just keep a fuel stabilizer (like Stabil or Seafoam) in the tank when it's not being ridden regularly, and keep the tank full to help prevent moisture condensation. If E10 killed engines, the roadside would be littered with dead cars and motorcycles, as there are VERY few people who use pure gasoline these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts