GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anybody's out there that wants to mount a fly screen to their Naked, but doesn't want to drill holes or mount with ugly brackets, listen up!

I long toyed with the idea of a "fly screen" for my naked, and found the Powerbronze while searching online that I thought looked the best of the few available out there. Approx. $100. Ordered "stealth grey" which is like a frosted black.

But when I received it, the mounting system was ridiculous. 2 round metal bars that mount to the handlebar clamps, bend up and over and down, to mount the screen to. Ugly ugly.

So I was holding the screen by hand in position on the bike just to see what it looked like, and I had an idea! I had a roll of 3M "Heavy Duty" 2-sided tape, 1 inch wide.

I was able to secure the screen to the bike, putting a piece of the 2 sided tape where the screen contacted the outside corners of the speedometer cluster, and a small piece at the bottom of the screen.

Totally on as solid as a rock! What a great way to mount a screen! Easily removed, and on like a rock!

I plugged the 4 holes in the screen with small black plastic push-pin clips that I had an assortment of, and used a dab of silicone to keep them from rattling.

Moral to the story: Fly Screen mounted using 3M heavy duty 2-sided tape! Eazy peazy!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
That looks like it would be really easy to make a bracket that goes from the blinker to the screen. That way you could remove if you wanted too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, nice find doc, that is cool! Please post some pics of it on your bike.

Does it provide any wind protection?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, nice find doc, that is cool! Please post some pics of it on your bike.

Does it provide any wind protection?
Looks to be a straight up copy of a Puig. I can't speak to that ebay version, but I have the Puig and it provides pretty good wind protection with no buffeting.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to tell from the pics, but looks smaller than the Puig. Hopefully Doc will post pics of it on his bike.

·
Registered
549 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF>I was able to secure the (PowerBronze) screen to the bike, putting a piece of the 2 sided tape where the screen contacted the outside corners of the speedometer cluster, and a small piece at the bottom of the screen. Totally on as solid as a rock! What a great way to mount a screen! Easily removed, and on like a rock! I plugged the 4 holes in the screen with small black plastic push-pin clips that I had an assortment of, and used a dab of silicone to keep them from rattling.<SNIPPED STUFF>
It looks really 'trick' and I'm glad you avoided the whole mounting apparatus mess so your bike has a 'clean' appearance. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like it was meant to be mounted like that. Good work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts