GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just replaced front brake pads with ebc double H. The noise is terrible in the front. Stops ok but noisy. Any way to get rid of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all. Just replaced front brake pads with ebc double H. The noise is terrible in the front. Stops ok but noisy. Any way to get rid of it?

If the pads did not come with an anti squeal shim on the back face you can use a piece of duct tape trimmed to match the rear face and that usually cures the problem. If they have the shim, remove the shim and put a smear of copper grease between the shim and the back face of the pad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the pads did not come with an anti squeal shim on the back face you can use a piece of duct tape trimmed to match the rear face and that usually cures the problem. If they have the shim, remove the shim and put a smear of copper grease between the shim and the back face of the pad.

Thanks. No shims came with them and old ones had no shims or backing plates on it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Never any problems with EBC HH on this bike or any other, no shims on any.
Just put a set on recently.

I do however coat the backs with Copper Ease.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, replace them with SBS RS pads. i think the part number is 841RS for the front if you have a 1000.

I have EBC HH on my bagger, and they are noisy. I have the SBS RS on my GSXS1000 and no noise and GREAT braking power and feel.

·
Registered
549 Posts
De-glaze rotors

Hi Gohard, if you just removed the old pads and installed the new pads (EBC HH) without taking a scotchbrite pad or some 160 grit sandpaper to the rotors to break-up/remove the 'glaze' on your rotors, you'll get noise. Been there, experienced that.

I like to lift the front end so the wheel will spin free and use a Scotchbrite pad in hand 'pinching' the rotor so the outside and inside surfaces are getting rubbed/roughed-up as I spin the wheel with my other hand. You can do the same thing with some sandpaper. Once you've scuffed up the rotors pretty good, clean them with some brake cleaner or some rubbing alcohol on a clean paper towel.

At this point, depending on how long the pads have been on, you might now have to break the glaze on the new pads, too. I know...it's a nuisance. But the EBC HH pads are great and will be a nice addition to your bike once you get the rotors and pads 'scuffed' up a bit so they can then "bed-in" to each other properly. And...the noise should go away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts