Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Slower,
Thanks for your reply and info. It is much appreciated.
I'm also wondering if the factory and after market warranty is voided if the ECU is flashed? I'm sure it is, but just wanted another opinion.
Thanks,
rock

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
if any modification is deemed to contribute to or be the cause of a problem, warranty coverage could be denied.

Unlikely the dealer would find out the ECU was flashed, but if you blew the engine and the dealer dug deep, they might find it and deny warranty coverage.

But merely flashing the ECU does not void the warranty per se

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am wondering the same as gixxerjasen - what makes you ask about a new ECU? You can just have your current ECU flashed by Danos Performance in California for $180 if you are looking to 'spice' up your bike a bit. I'm pretty sure if you don't like it or want to go back to "stock", they can flash it back to stock for a nominal cost. So what's up? Why the curiosity about ECU costs?

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Other guy was me and I am in Mississippi lol I'll never speak highly of FTECU they suck! Their attempt at a flash cost me a bunch of money. I still have that FTECU flashed ecu if anyone is interested in it. It was a bad to the bone power maker from 3k up to red line with a full M4 exhaust and a BMC race air filter. I just never was happy with the way it performed below 3k rpms which is basically in stop and go traffic or crossing a parking lot.

I spent/lost about $600 bucks messing with that which included a couple of Dano tunes and two ecu's I bought one which I later sold to a member here and it worked fine in his bike. My bike could not use that ecu due to the non-abs and cali ecu numbering which was my fault for not checking the numbers before buying.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Louisiana, Mississippi, it's all the same, east of Texas. :D

You ever get it worked out? Hopefully OP isn't dealing with the same issue.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Louisiana, Mississippi, it's all the same, east of Texas. :D

You ever get it worked out? Hopefully OP isn't dealing with the same issue.

Yea as good as it'll ever be. Still not as smooth as it should be off idle or across a parking lot or slow stop and go traffic. But as usual it will still getty up and haul butt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't need a new ECU I was just curious about the price. Inquiring minds want to know. My ECU is now back from Danos and I hope to get it installed and the bike put back together in the next few days. I appreciate all the responses and advice. - rock

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey rock3822, I can understand 'just being curious.' When I priced the ECU about a year ago, it was about $1000 for a 48 state ECU on the GSX-S1000A. The reason I checked was to figure out how much shipping insurance to buy in case the thing got lost in the mail to Danos Performance. (I haven't sent it in yet.)

I look forward to hearing your impressions of the bike's fueling now that you have the flashed ECU back. Give us a report when you can. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Danos

Frog,
I will let you know how the bike runs after the flash. I can tell you that the unit was flashed the day it was received by Danos and shipped the same day. Now that's excellent service! I'm looking forward to the twitchy throttle issue being resolved. I hope it is. - rock

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey rock3822,
Same day turnaround is awesome. Sounds like the good words about Dano's Performance are true. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the flash. My bike ran pretty good/smooth so I was going to 'skip' the flash, but I put it on the local dealership showroom floor to try and sell it and when I got the bike back (after 10 weeks), it was running worse (more snatchy and 'flat spots' at low rpm). I figured it just needed some EFI cleaner run through and all would be well again, but after two bottles of cleaner and 200 miles of running, bike isn't much different. So now...if I'm going to keep this bike I will want to get the fueling sorted once and for all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might have heard it before, so excuse me if I'm repeating myself, but try a booster plug; I don't have any association with them, but the stall stuttering of my bike just after I bought it slammed me to the ground and broke my tibia. I had plenty of time while convalescing to investigate; the result, the bike is mapped lean to pass EU emission standards, which are probably similar to those in the States. Apparently the GSXS is the worst bike affected, although any new bike after 2012 has the problem. I got on to Jens Lyck, the actual inventor and seller of the boosterplug through his site at boosterplug.com, read his free downloaded pdf book on fuel injection in motorcycles, and ordered a boosterplug for $200 Australian. I had it fitted and haven't had a problem since. After what you've paid it's not a lot more to get a smooth running bike in those low revs (that's where the ecu is programmed to starve the bike of fuel to pass emission tests).

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Interesting that booster plug enrichen's the mixture by a basic 8% (varies with temp). A few months back, I trolling through the jerky throttle Threads and read someone's posted PC5 or a Woolich Autotune on bike resulting fueling table.
The point was that around 2000 to 2500 rpm, there was a figure of +7, and one of a -5 just after 2500 or on it. I am only going from memory, so I can't be very accurate, and there are some plus and minus's in the table.
I really have no experience with these tables, but if the +7 is 7% (someone help me out on this), it would back up the case for the Booster Plug 8% at this rpm range.

Rob.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think we can all appreciate clean air and minimum exhaust pollutants going off into the air.

I just get the feeling if the collective governments of the world would bend just a teeny-tiny fraction of an amount, we could have much better running bikes by allowing just a teeny-tiny amount more 'pollution' at the lower RPM end of things. As it is, bikes have to be made so ridiculously lean the builders have no choice but to cut fuel and lean the fuel mixtures to the point of poor running. And then that just spurs the aftermarket to respond with Booster Plugs, Power Commanders, and ECU flashes which bypass all the good intentions. So...wouldn't we all just be better off if the regulators would allow just a small adjustment to the emissions standards to allow for GOOD running machines that wouldn't invite aftermarket tinkering?

I know it's wishful thinking. But it's the same idea as the 'low-flush' toilets - when a person has to flush two or three times to get stuff down, did we really save any water?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just an observation about the Ecu flashes... Dano does a great job tuning, but seems to optimise for fuel economy. With his flash, and a full m4 system, my fuel mileage skyrocketed. So much so, I was worried about running too lean, but he assured me it was fine.

Also, it loped pretty bad at idle and the only way to counter this was to re-install the baffle in the Yoshi can I was using. This created some back pressure which smoothed the idle right up.

(To fix the rough idle, others have sent their ECU back to him and had him add in a bit more fuel across the board, and seem to have positive results. I believe Rapido could chime in here.)

However, after installing a full system, I thought it was counter productive to run with the baffle in, so I begin looking at other alternatives.

I ended up buying an extra ECU from another member here, and sending it to 2wdw (Two Wheel Dynoworks) to try a their tune.

The results were positive. I gained quite a bit of low end torque (it will power wheelie easily now, with the stock gearing) and a better idle. I did however lose the awesome fuel mileage. So I'm surmising that they tuned a richer running ECU.

If you're running a stock exhaust, Dano's tune should be about perfect. But with a full exhaust system, you might want to look at some of the other tuners out there. Just my 02.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts