GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I really want to do the cat delete exhaust, with something like this

so my question is, if I install this and keep the stock muffler (for now), do i need to flash the ECU and put on a power commander? or Will the pcV make the adjustments needed for the change in air/fueling?

EDIT: update - so after using the search function and spending a few hours reading old threads, I understand that a power commander isn't neccessary. So my new question is, if I send in the ECU to be flashed and tell them that I have installed the decat dominator pipe, does a custom ECU flash do everything that an onboard tuner like a PC5 would do? I guess i'm still a little confused on what an ECU flash does compared to an onboard tuner...

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
if you install that, and cut out the cat. all you need is a ecu flash, forget PCV that is out dated piggy back stuff.
send to a reputable flasher. the guy I use and many others is Danes performance, 180 bucks, there and back, done and done.

I did the same thing you are talking about, I also put a KN air filter in the airbag, and removed a little restrictor plate in the airbox at same time to let it breathe optimally.

anyway just talk to him if you go w him about your mods, he will tune your mapping for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you install that, and cut out the cat. all you need is a ecu flash, forget PCV that is out dated piggy back stuff.
send to a reputable flasher. the guy I use and many others is Danes performance, 180 bucks, there and back, done and done.

I did the same thing you are talking about, I also put a KN air filter in the airbag, and removed a little restrictor plate in the airbox at same time to let it breathe optimally.

anyway just talk to him if you go w him about your mods, he will tune your mapping for it.

Dane or Danos? Danos was the name I saw mentioned in a lot of the other threads. I'm guessing I would need to mail in my ECU for him to flash? i'm wondering if I could find a bike shop here in Houston, Texas that I could take it into and have them flash my ECU for me? I know the guys on here are all talking about sending it to this same guy in Southern California, I assume that's the same guy you're talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok I clicked you're link, you're talking about Dano's. Cool. I'll mail it to him. I guess while I'm waiting for it to get sent back i'll go ahead and order the cat delete pipe and a KN air filter and tell Dano's that these are the only mods I'm going to do to the bike.

How would you describe the differences in the way your bike runs compared to stock and with the ECU flash/decat pipe/ KN filter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is how I did it. Unbolt the radiator and Pull It Forward using bungee chords or tie straps to hold it forward and out of your way. I also had to cut a few Allen Keys up you need a couple of different lengths to get in there between the header pipes and the radiator frame and whatnot. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the cat be sure to make the cut right where they show you. Then I used a drill to drill out what was left of the converter it's still in there about 4 or 5 inches deep it's a process but it's well worth the rewards. I am also running the Dano Flash with Sprint air filter and airbox mods also I'm geared one down one up. It's a wheelie monster now!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure about top end HP, but it does eliminate the flat spot between 4k and 7k.
I did the decat like he did, kn filter, airbox restriction removal too. + reflash.

can’t say I have that dip? If there is any gains in my 4-7k it would be minimal, extremely minimal. To justify a grand for the headers on top.

I think op is prob like me, he will get a massive increase in riding experience just by doing what he’s doing, may not get the extra couple hp that may be missing but ****. Can’t say I am feeling like I’m missing any

I use a the blue rolls of paper towels (shop towels) I just prop it under tank on the center tree. Lol it props it up perfectly. I lower it though when not working on it. No reason to leave tank up for a week til get ecu back

·
Registered
236 Posts
I cut my cat off while on bike using a little multi tool lmao. It took about half hour of cutting. Poor multi tool was stressed out. 10 dollar carbide blade ate through it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok I clicked you're link, you're talking about Dano's. Cool. I'll mail it to him. I guess while I'm waiting for it to get sent back i'll go ahead and order the cat delete pipe and a KN air filter and tell Dano's that these are the only mods I'm going to do to the bike.

How would you describe the differences in the way your bike runs compared to stock and with the ECU flash/decat pipe/ KN filter?
Night and day. Smooth, crisp, power all way through band, also deeper throatier exhaust. I use my oem end can. I like it’s look and sound.
Do the airbox air restriction removal mod and block off pair, with a marble . Just disconnect a hose, shove marble in. And plug back to box. Nothing more needed

Danos is real niceif you do alter bike in future he will touch up your tune for you. I just tossed a 20 in the box and sent it off to him. That helps him pay for the time and shipping back.
But just do everything now and get it flashed for those mods once and done

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did the decat like he did, kn filter, airbox restriction removal too. + reflash.

can’t say I have that dip? If there is any gains in my 4-7k it would be minimal, extremely minimal. To justify a grand for the headers on top.

I think op is prob like me, he will get a massive increase in riding experience just by doing what he’s doing, may not get the extra couple hp that may be missing but ****. Can’t say I am feeling like I’m missing any

I use a the blue rolls of paper towels (shop towels) I just prop it under tank on the center tree. Lol it props it up perfectly. I lower it though when not working on it. No reason to leave tank up for a week til get ecu back
I can see going decat if you were buying anything other then m4 system. When I look online, one could buy the full m4 system for 850. Header and muffler plus flatten the power curve seems like a win. Unless I am missing something or there is a better option. Spending almost 600 for just a slip on seems nuts to me.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
600 for slip on?
I paid 85 dollars for my decat mid pipe.

you use the oem or whatever end can you want with it.

I thought theend can was sleek, so 85 bucks to get rid of the obstruction seemed great +180 tune lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
f I send in the ECU to be flashed and tell them that I have installed the decat dominator pipe, does a custom ECU flash do everything that an onboard tuner like a PC5 would do?
No. The difference is that an ECU reflash alters the factory tables for engine management. A simplistic explanation is the reflash is like electrically changing the mechanical jets in a carburetor for fueling changes and the weights in a distributor the timing changes, among other things. The power commander intercepts the signals from the factory (or modified) ECU to the injectors. It then tweaks the injector signals to provide a set air/fuel ratio based on exhaust gas readings.
forget PCV that is out dated piggy back stuff.
Not necessarily. The piggy back may be somewhat crude, and outdated from the aspect it was a way to change ECU signals before the ECU itself could be changed. The advantage to PCV is it can provide dynamic changes to engine management system (injector timing) that the ECU reflash cannot. The ECU reflash is static. Once changed, that's it. If not perfect, it never will be. Theoretically at least, the PCV can compensate if not perfect.

Having said that, I went with Woolich and the autotune, which is another option. Not dynamic like a PCV. But I can make recordings with the log box, then when done riding, reflash the ECU based on the saved recordings. Sort of like a hybrid between ECU reflash and PCV piggy back.

Really, the best way to go is probably multiple ECU reflashes and dyno tunes. What Dano, Moore Mafia, etc. do is shortcut individual bike dyno runns and flash with bike tunes from identical bikes set up in the past. Is your bike identical to the bike used for the tune installed by a particular company? No. Does it matter? Probably not. As the saying goes, YMMV.

·
Registered
73 Posts
600 for slip on?
I paid 85 dollars for my decat mid pipe.

you use the oem or whatever end can you want with it.

I thought theend can was sleek, so 85 bucks to get rid of the obstruction seemed great +180 tune lol
Akra, Leo vince, arrow, yoshi slip on are right up in that price range.

·
Registered
846 Posts
M4 yields the greatest gains overall, decat is the most cost effective and the difference for many is negligible.
Mufflers are essentially a balance of aesthetics and tonality and much less about performance.
Buy the one that makes you happy, it's only money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
M4 yields the greatest gains overall, decat is the most cost effective and the difference for many is negligible.
Mufflers are essentially a balance of aesthetics and tonality and much less about performance.
Buy the one that makes you happy, it's only money.
I want the m4 for deeper tone (I would think), and options for quieter inserts available. If I went decat I would think that would be the loudest since people keep saying the stock muffler is essentially a straight pipe. I leave my house at 520 am and get home at 830pm. Can't piss the wife off to much.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts