Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Dano's Performance

Votes: 2 16.7%

ECU Flash on the GT

6K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  Vosnick52 
#1 ·
Which vendor do you think has the best flashing service for the GT? I would like to hear why you like one over the other. I included the two I hear about most. I like 2WDW because of the all around tuning not just A mode and top end power. I also like that the tune is a lifetime tune, meaning they will reflash the ECU for no charge. I think that the price on 2WDW is a bit high though. I also like Moore Mafia for the videos and information that they give out. I have heard of others but really haven't found any that list the GT specifically. If you vote other please let us know who that is and I can add them to the list if we see repeat votes for them
Thanks in advance for sharing.

#6 ·
I've been dyno tuned in person by 2WDW on several occasions, I can personally attest to their professionalism and good results. However, I now live in the South so I plan to get the mail-in tune from Moore Mafia. I spoke to Chris on the phone a few times and he stands by his product, plus he's only 5 hours away in case I have to go see him in person. Chris confirmed that you do NOT need any of the Healtech devices with his tune, he disables the CEL for the exhaust valve (if you remove it) and PAIR valve (if you remove it) and doesn't need the O2 sensor.

#8 ·
I went with the 2wdw tune. I will hold my review until the exhaust issue is finalized. I did ride the bike with the tune and the stock exhaust (minus the exhaust valve, O2 sensor, AIS/Pair valve blocked, and installed an aftermarket air filter. No CEL after 4 start ups. I was worried at first because I had the FI/CEL error. I ordered the tune for a full exhaust. My exhaust did not come in and I did not get any communication from the company after 3 weeks. I cancelled it and going with either M4 or Firetong unit.

#9 ·
Just know that M4 is about ~3 weeks between order and shipping. I actually called them this morning and sounds like mine will be shipping in the next day or two, hopefully.

To verify, did the base model S1000 block-off plates and air filter fit the GT? I ask since I have both (from Brock's for a '22 GSX-S1000) sitting on my work bench, ready for the install once the exhaust gets here.

Also, any tips about pulling all those things off? The only component that looks kinda wedged is the exhaust valve and cables going to the servo. I haven't lifted the tank yet to look at the airbox or the AIS, but I assume that should be easy to pull off.

#13 ·
Got a call from Moore Mafia today and my ECU is now tuned and on the way back. I just want to mention that Chris recommended NOT disabling the deceleration fuel cut-off, because apparently the bike ends up having no engine braking. This seems to be the case for the new Busa as well. I'm not sure if 2WDW disables the cut-off or not, but this is just an FYI.

#32 · (Edited)
Got a call from Moore Mafia today and my ECU is now tuned and on the way back. I just want to mention that Chris recommended NOT disabling the deceleration fuel cut-off, because apparently the bike ends up having no engine braking.
I can attest to this. I had my 22 naked tuned by Dano and the decel fuel cutoff disabled. I HATED it. No engine braking at all and it was very unnerving to say the least. I had to adjust to a new way of riding, getting on the brakes immediately and much harder upon closing the throttle. I never could get used to it. It's amazing how much engine-braking slows the bike and how much harder it is to slow without it it.... for me anyway.

#14 ·
Have any of you guys with flashed ECUs noticed that your bike runs cooler? If so, by how much? The ol' GT DO seem to run a bit warm compared to my flashed/full system MT-09. I understand that a faired bike will likely run hotter than a naked bike, but I am curious what sort of temps you guys are seeing.

Also, to be clear Moore Mafia only flashes the ECU for one mode? That's strange. I normally ride in A mode, but switching over to B mode in the tight stuff after a long day is not a bad tool to have on hand.

Just trying to get everything in order for possibly going with a full system or may just keep truckin' with the stealthy stock exhaust. Cheers.

#15 ·
I can't comment on temps as I haven't ridden my bike enough before the flash to compare before/after. But where did you get the idea that Moore Mafia only flashes one mode? That is not the case. I asked Chris specifically what he does, and he said that although the fueling gets adjusted for all modes, the throttle curve only gets adjusted for A and B modes. That's fine by me as I really don't understand why anyone would ride in B mode. C may have uses in the wet or snow, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. This bike is a kitten in A mode, not even a little bit intimidating unless you really twist the grip.

#17 ·
There is a whole thread on this forum dedicated to guys being scared of A mode. It honestly makes me wonder if my GT is faulty in some way, because A mode feels very tame, even lazy, until you get to ~5K RPM. The only way to make A mode scary is to have a massively heavy wrist and twist the **** out of the throttle, then yeah, the bike will go. I was actually super surprised just how tame this bike is under that 5K mark, almost made me miss my big v-twins. Maybe y'all have never ridden a 1000+ CC v-twin, but that I can understand being intimidating since all the torque hits you right away if you're not careful. But the GT? Kitten in comparison.

Then again I also have a 300cc two stroke dirt bike, so perhaps I'm just used to taming crazy power. But seriously, A mode to me is butter smooth with no surprises.

#18 ·
I want to share my experience with Moore Mafia for future searches and anyone asking which tuner to go with.

My previous two dyno tuning experiences were with 2WDW in person, as I lived pretty close to their shop. Nels is a very nice guy who clearly knows his stuff, his staff was friendly and my appointments went according to plan both times. I have never used 2WDW for mail-in ECU tuning, but I have to extrapolate my previous experiences and assume it'd be good.

I decided to go with Moore Mafia this time around because Chris seems to know Suzukis, has a lot of happy customers and legit track records to prove his abilities. My initial call with him was a positive experience, he seems like a nice and friendly guy, so I decided to give him a chance and also support a local Southern boy.

I paid for air shipping to ship my ECU, expedited processing by Chris, and then expedited shipping back, along with shipping insurance both ways. It wasn't cheap, but I wanted my ECU back quickly, and more importantly in one piece. Chris received my ECU on Tuesday and I had it back in my hands on Thursday. I was very happy with that turn-around time.

Unfortunately that is where the happy and positive experience ended, as Chris got the tune wrong. Specifically, he forgot to disable the exhaust servo so my bike threw the P1404 engine code and I had a permanent check engine light. My first indication of that was actually when I looked at the form he sent back with the ECU, indicating what work he had performed. The checkbox next to disabling the exhaust servo wasn't checked. I called him, some woman on the phone told me he'd call me back, but he didn't. So a few hours later I called back, she answered, and then promised me Chris would call back, which a few minutes later he did.

I spoke to Chris to let him know what I'm seeing (the form he sent back and the CEL on the bike). He said he may have screwed up and that I should take the bike for a quick test ride and let him know if the code persisted. So I did. I then called him back around 4:30pm his time, but nobody picked up and my follow-up text went unanswered. His shop supposedly closes at 5pm, but I guess he clocked out early that day and my issue went unaddressed until the next day, leaving me pretty bummed out and frustrated.

Friday I spoke to Chris and he said to send the ECU back, and that he'll cover "overnight" shipping back and give me some sort of refund. Not wanting to add to an already expensive situation, I UPS ground the ECU back to him (with insurance), which he received on Tuesday.

I waited all day Tuesday but didn't get any call or text or anything. Finally Wednesday morning I texted Chris to ask on the status of my ECU, as I knew he received it Tuesday just after lunch. He said that the ECU would ship back that day (Wednesday), without further details. I asked if he was able to identify whether or not he originally forgot to disable the exhaust servo, but got no response, nor any further communication.

Thursday morning I texted Chris again to ask for a tracking number since he never sent me one. Later in the day he finally sent it, but when I looked it up, the package was arriving Friday, so it wasn't overnighted like he promised. Fine, whatever. I got the ECU back on Friday, installed it, and the CEL did go away. I haven't been able to test-ride the bike yet as it's been pouring here every day, but I'm going to have to assume that it's fine now.

On Saturday I sent Chris an e-mail describing my expenses and asking if he'd still honor some sort of refund. This morning (Sunday) I got a reply that a partial refund has been sent, though I'm not sure where or how yet, I guess I'll wait till next week to verify.

So overall I'm frustrated by poor communication and customer support on Moore Mafia's part, at least in my specific case. ECUs aren't cheap, and without them the bike is useless. Given how much Chris is charging for a flash (essentially reselling the dyno tune he did for someone the first time, with no additional tuning efforts on his part for each subsequent sale), it's not unreasonable to expect him to be available for support during his business hours when something goes wrong. Letting the phone just ring, and ring, and ring, not returning calls as promised, not answering texts and not updating a customer on a problem... is just unprofessional. I realize he's busy and probalby flashes dozens of ECUs every day, but at his size and scale, he could afford to hire a minimum wage person to answer the phones and manage messages between him and the customers. That would go a long way to making customers feel like they're in good hands.

TLDR; if Chris gets everything right the first time, you will probably be a happy customer. But if you need customer support anytime during or after your business with him, you may be less happy with the experience.

#22 ·
I only got a chance to ride it slowly up and down my street before sending it in the second time, and since I got it back it's been pouring here so I haven't been able to get back on yet. This week looks very wet so I'm not sure when I might be able to do that.

#24 ·
Hey Horgh,
Thank you for your Moore Mafia review. Would you be able to provide a review of the flash now or is there another thread with your review?
I too called and spoke with Chris. He did confirm the tune is for modes A and B. Regarding the servo however, he recommends that even though he takes it out of the tune that he has had customers come back with the CEL, therefore I should get a servo buddy.

#25 ·
You don't need the servo buddy. I was one of the customers who "came back" because he just screwed up my tune the first time and didn't actually eliminate the servo like he was supposed to. You'll probably get the FI light anyway, just because the bike is tuned, so you'll want to have an OBDII scanner on hand to clear it, along with the adapter to hook it up to the GT. I think Chris sells the adapter on his website. Once you clear the codes they should not come back, my didn't.

I don't know if I can really review the tune as I don't have any basis of comparison, other than the stock tune. The bike has been starting and running fine, it pulls like a freight train and sounds awesome. The quick shifter is butter smooth and super quick. I have no complaints. Also, I always ride in A mode, I really don't get the point behind the other modes since the on/off throttle is so tame and smooth, and the bike is a kitten at lower RPMs.

#26 ·
Good to know the tune is good with the exception of his omission. After talking to him yesterday I went ahead and ordered a HealTech ESE-S04. For the cost $90CAD I'd rather do this once and not have to worry about it.
FI light? Forgive my ignorance... do tell.
I have an OBDII scanner and already bought the adapter, tried it and it seems to work as the scan came back with no EC as there aren't any :)
What air filter did you change to after the header and tune? Did you have to remove a restrictor plate?
BTW I too only ride in A mode. B detunes the engine to feel less than 1k cc.

#33 · (Edited)
I just rode my Superduke 1290R for the first time yesterday. You talk about engine braking! I love that. The front brake feel and braking power on the GT sucks, so that would only make it much worse. I have a Nissin radial master set up to install and hope that will make a noticeable difference. Gotta make sure when it gets tuned after the exhaust they don't disable fuel cutoff.

#39 ·
Well I cant say I'm impressed with the 2WDW tune. Honestly, and I hate to say this, I can feel much difference at all. I did contact them to find out if they have updated the tune since I received mine. I did get it right after they came out with a tune. I did not get a good feeling they understood my question, looking for an updated tune. I also asked if they removed the speed limiter as my bike still has one. I was told that they did not see the need to do that as they had not hit a speed limiter they hit a rev limiter first. I definitely hit a speed limiter. Just not thrilled with the tune. My previous Z900 got an ECU tune and it made a huge difference. The tune on GSXS GT did remove the FI error with the full exhaust though with no exhaust valve.

#40 ·
Did you look at the before and after dyno graphs for the GT? They claim base 146hp increase to 153hp (7hp), which you're really not going to feel. The big fix is the upper RPM power drop. You can see it much better in Moore's dyno graph, though he's claiming 134hp to 148hp (14hp).

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

#41 ·
Yes I saw the 7HP peak difference. They have a Facebook page and stated that the difference in real world riding was very nice. The tune changed the electronic throttles to allow full throttle where the stock tune did not. With that, I thought the feel would be more noticeable. On a side note I was finally able to ride with another 2022+ GSXS 1000. It was a naked, non GT, and I had my bags on the bike. Mid 3rd gear pull had the bikes identical up until redline going in to 4 with a very slight edge right before shifting to 4th to the GT. He is a smaller lighter guy but completely stock. I have full length exhaust, free flow air filter, no exhaust valve, and pair valve blocked.

#42 ·
Were you both shifting at the same points? Was it near redline? I ask since that's where the tunes make the most difference, that power drop at high RPM is eliminated. But yeah, 7hp may not make much difference on its own, especially if he's a smaller guy on a lighter bike.