GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the example of a few members here I contacted Suzuki Australia to record my issue with the fueling from closed and also under 3k on constant throttle and see if I qualify for a replacement. I have reproduced the a portion of the correspondence below:

-------------------

"I am writing to discuss a concern I have with GSX-S1000 I purchased through ******* in ***-2015. The issue relates to the inconsistent and on-off jerky nature of the fueling when opening the throttle from closed and when attempting to hold a constant throttle below 3000 rpm. **at this point I provide specific examples, not interesting****

I have read that this is a recorded issue on a number of sites and have read on GSX-S1000 forums that this is being raised with Suzuki national sites in both the UK and US as well as Australia. I am of the understanding that a replacement ECU is being provided to bikes that have evidence of the issues I detail above. As the issue is both safety and quality related I would like to investigate the options for my bike and put it forward for ECU replacement."

---------------

I receive the following email #1 :

"Thank you for your email, we suggest making contact with your authorised Suzuki dealer they will be able to advise if the machine is in the VIN range and then looked further into your concern.

Kind Regards
***"

So above indicates that the issue is recognised and specific to a particular number of bikes with certain VINs. I questioned why HQ could not provide the information as I did provide the VIN of my bike in the first email.

-------

Email #2

"Thank you once again for your email, the reason behind referring you back to the dealer is that we require them to carry out a diagnostic on your machine if the machine falls in the range of unit that are eligible to be assessed for the replacement ECU. We are more than happy to correspondence to be show to our dealer.

Kind Regards
***"

All right then, that's what is going to happen next. New tyres are going on on Saturday and hopefully they will check the ECU at the same time, I have yet to confirm. As this progresses I'll give an update or two.

I hope that this will be of some assistance to those considering a replacement as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Jaked. I'm in Oz to and very interested in how you go with this. Look forward to the next update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I emailed the dealer after a phone call and have been booked in for a replacement ECU next week. My dealer knew about this service bulletin or whatever it's called. However, It's taken about a month for the new ECU to arrive and find a suitable date for me to bring it in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is the thread to follow! Good Work Jaked. The email trail will help others greatly in oz. I've seen the Service Bulletin from the 23/5/2016 from a German forum member. If you ECM is 32920-04k30(Which mine is) it should be replace with 30920-04k31. Please let us know your findings and if it does "feel" different. Cheers

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, I wanted to record Suzuki Australia's recognition of the issue so that local owners have a little more clarity around the situation.

I have the bike booked in next Wednesday for both the tps setting to be checked and for them to confirm if the ecu needs replacing. I'll post up a summary of the outcome of the Wednesday appointment. I also forwarded my correspondence with Suzuki to the dealer so that they have a full picture of my discussion with Suzuki to date.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My ECM came in today, one week after the bike was serviced, tested and the part was ordered with Suzuki Australia. Booked-in for installation next Friday so I hope to be reporting much smoother low rpm riding soon.

I too initially emailed Suzuki directly, but as others have indicated, the whole thing needs to be dealt with via your local dealer. My complaint was simple — the bike cannot be ridden smoothly at low revs, maintaining speeds like 60km/h without the bike chugging along. They confirmed this was the case and ordered the part with the service I liked and expect. I'd hope (and expect) everyone is treated this way everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
The improvement of the new ecu is apparent within minutes of the first ride . Suzuki Aust , seems to be very good at helping us with a replacement . However other forum users in many countries have found their distributers less than helpful .Also lots of Forum users gone off half cocked asking distributers and dealers about an ECU re-call which is not happening so then they get the "don't know what you mean there isn't a recall " answer. Mines fixed and I am happy with the result , keep persevering all you riders not in the lucky country , you may still get there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The improvement of the new ecu is apparent within minutes of the first ride . Suzuki Aust , seems to be very good at helping us with a replacement . However other forum users in many countries have found their distributers less than helpful .Also lots of Forum users gone off half cocked asking distributers and dealers about an ECU re-call which is not happening so then they get the "don't know what you mean there isn't a recall " answer. Mines fixed and I am happy with the result , keep persevering all you riders not in the lucky country , you may still get there.
Congrats. Your are very fortunate!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks fellas, I wanted to record Suzuki Australia's recognition of the issue so that local owners have a little more clarity around the situation.

I have the bike booked in next Wednesday for both the tps setting to be checked and for them to confirm if the ecu needs replacing. I'll post up a summary of the outcome of the Wednesday appointment. I also forwarded my correspondence with Suzuki to the dealer so that they have a full picture of my discussion with Suzuki to date.
Jaked, what was the email address for suzuki australia? I am in Perth and have a 2015 version of the gsxs I am very curious to see if my bike has the 30 model ecu and if it can be replaced. It too has rough running engine at low rpm and the throttle response is very snatchy. I was going to get an ecu flash or power commander and tune but would rather suzuki fix the issue seen as though they have acknowledged a fault.

Thanks for you advice!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Jaked, what was the email address for suzuki australia? I am in Perth and have a 2015 version of the gsxs I am very curious to see if my bike has the 30 model ecu and if it can be replaced. It too has rough running engine at low rpm and the throttle response is very snatchy. I was going to get an ecu flash or power commander and tune but would rather suzuki fix the issue seen as though they have acknowledged a fault.

Thanks for you advice!
Google suzuki aust , at the bottom of the web page is a contact us option , you can use that, i did, to e-mail them , I got a generic '' what ever you are talking about talk to your dealer response'' , i persevered and e-mailed again saying thanks for the non reply , here is my question again , people are getting replacement ECU's when can i get mine ? I have it , they bike is much better for it . My wifes helmet does not slam into mine when we go out , as the bike is now very easy to ride smoothly in traffic , which it was not before .....If you are in Perth several perth forum members have had the replacement , should not be a problem if you are pr feb 2016.
Ps look up champions ride days and book a day at barbagallos , you will be pleasantly surprised at how well this bike goes at the track

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As 4tune8 mentions above, I used their generic "contact us " email address on their Australian site. I received a response the same day. I might add that a well thought out email might benefit more than a "gimme nu ecu" email so take a moment to explain the situation and your issue. It's the start of your documentation of the problem after all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for your help fellas, spoke to suzuki and my dealer. They both handled it very well. Dealer has already ordered the new ecm so just have to get it booked it to be replaced! Much appreciated. Will see how the bike feels after the new ecm. I was kinda looking forward to either gettig it flashed or fitting a power commander might not need it now! But will probably get it done still haha! Any of you Perth guys had you bike dynoed? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I spoke to my dealer yesterday re replacement ECU, they have two demo bikes, one which has had the replacement ECU fitted and one with a PCV fitted, the salesman who runs the bikes in before they put them out as demo's said in his opinion, the replacement ECU is better than the first ECU but he thinks the bike fitted with the PCV is the best, and they way he would go, the dealer has checked and I can get my ECU replaced but as I've already fitted a PCV I'm not going to bother, they can replace it when I eventually trade it in :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bike went in this morning, they confirmed that the ecu will be replaced. I'm booked in for next Wednesday. They reckon the tps is in spec so I'll check that after the new ecu just to be certain.

All in all, a good result.

Unfortunately I wont be able to give my thoughts on the change for some time after since they need to respray the rear rim due to damage the tyre change retard caused last Saturday FFS. But that's another story.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's a misdirection. New ECMs do NOT solve the problem! Mine was handed back to me today after a claimed ECM swap, the fecking bike runs worse now than it did before! In fact it's running so rough you'd think it was an American V-twin.

I took it back to the shop after 20 miles of riding. One of their team took it for a ride, and even though you could the fuelling issues as he rode past, on his return he declared all was fine with the bike!

The muppet even went on to claim all Gixxers ride that way. Well, I tell you, have you ever heard the like. What utter tripe. If all Gixxers ride that way, this will be the first and LAST Suzuki I will ever own!

Bike is going to be left with them again Friday, after I have a rant at Suzuki GB of course!

Don't put to much hope in the ECM fix, read the other threads over TPS position and after market fuel controllers. Don't think Suzuki will help you out as it simply won't happen.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sounds like your bike has other issues than the ecu. In the face of other owners testimony I'm willing to give it a go.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It sounds like your bike has other issues than the ecu. In the face of other owners testimony I'm willing to give it a go.
Agreed. I don't believe they adjusted the TPS, simply swapped the ECM and recoded the keys.

Sadly it's down to customer service. I
I took it back and reported on going issues, after they test rode it, they claimed is was a characteristic of Gixxer engines. Read hat you will into that.

I'm getting on the Suzuki GB tomorrow as I've just had enough.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Agreed. I don't believe they adjusted the TPS, simply swapped the ECM and recoded the keys.

Sadly it's down to customer service. I
I took it back and reported on going issues, after they test rode it, they claimed is was a characteristic of Gixxer engines. Read hat you will into that.

I'm getting on the Suzuki GB tomorrow as I've just had enough.
Let us know how you get on with Suzuki UK.... I'm thinking of ringing them to moan about the non appearance of my replacement ecu..>:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
spoke them this morning, not interested. They sent me back to the dealer.

it maybe time for an independent inspection and legal action.

the bike is unrideable.

I'm going to flush the fuel system, try premium gas, see if that cleans up the ride.

I'm not convinced as its at on/off throttle point where fuel I turned off I get the biggest problem. That said, since new ecu the engine and exhaust can be heard stuttering.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vamp, while I sympathize with your plight, could you please restrict your comment on the state of your bike to one thread? The purpose of this one is to inform Australian owners of the process for review and replacement and what response to expect from Suzuki Australia. Thanks mate.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts