GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
after reading on here about the throttle problems i thought id ask suzuki and just say that after reading MCN i wondered if anything would be in the pipe line or if it would be something sorted on the next model and i received this email today, seems like they are listening?

Thank you for your recent email.

I have consulted the Technical department regarding your query. They have informed me that a Service Bulletin has been published today regarding an ECM program change. Please consult your nearest Authorised Suzuki Dealership to see if your vehicle is eligible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Theres nothing showing on the VIN checker on Suzuki's website. I'm off work monday though so i'll call down to my dealer

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spoke to Suzuki UK who told me my vin number is too early for the "upgrade".
I was amongst the first few to buy this bike in the UK and have now had the bike over a year.
Surely later models could not have had a worse throttle action so I must assume the vin numbers that are due an upgrade must have faulty devices fitted?
I have left it in the hands of my local dealer and hope that they get a more reassuring response.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Spoke to Suzuki UK who told me my vin number is too early for the "upgrade".
I was amongst the first few to buy this bike in the UK and have now had the bike over a year.
Surely later models could not have had a worse throttle action so I must assume the vin numbers that are due an upgrade must have faulty devices fitted?
I have left it in the hands of my local dealer and hope that they get a more reassuring response.
I would assume that early models had more issues? Since I test rode 2 new bikes weeks ago and the throttle was no different than the other bikes I've ridden.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is no clear reason for why some are getting and some are not, at this point my 6yr old son sums it up best with ''it seems pretty random dad''My dealer phoned me to say i was getting a replacement ECU as he had been contacted by suzuki aust. to do it.
I had no response from them originally. Then a week after my enquiry as to obtaining a replacement they sent me the standard , don't talk to us ,ask your dealer. the longer this goes on the more puzzled i get

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am due for a 600 mile breakin service. I made and appointment where i purchase my bike and the service department manager told me he is aware about the throttle being snatchy. He said he will contact suzuki westcoast representative and ask if theres any service bulletin and or fix for it. He will try to find out before i take my bike in for service.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is no clear reason for why some are getting and some are not, at this point my 6yr old son sums it up best with ''it seems pretty random dad''My dealer phoned me to say i was getting a replacement ECU as he had been contacted by suzuki aust. to do it.
I had no response from them originally. Then a week after my enquiry as to obtaining a replacement they sent me the standard , don't talk to us ,ask your dealer. the longer this goes on the more puzzled i get
Which dealer?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Which dealer?
Hi Rod, witch cycles rockingham. After my e-mail to SUZ AUS, they rang me. Then a week or so later got an e-mail from S AUS to say talk to your dealer if you have a problem . Redbeard posted he is also getting one after S AUS contacted him. He bought at McCulloch. All very puzzling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had confirmed by Suzuki UK there is an ECM exchange program for the GSXS1000 L6, will be calling my local dealer tomorrow to get my L6 sorted.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Rod, witch cycles rockingham. After my e-mail to SUZ AUS, they rang me. Then a week or so later got an e-mail from S AUS to say talk to your dealer if you have a problem . Redbeard posted he is also getting one after S AUS contacted him. He bought at McCulloch. All very puzzling.
Which email address did you send to S AUS on? I might drop them a line myself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Which email address did you send to S AUS on? I might drop them a line myself.
Googled Suzuki Australia and there was a contact us at the end of web page. Said i had heard there was a replacement ECU and asked if I could have one . My dealer rang me same day to say he would replace it when he gets the new one.Still waiting at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any updates at this point? Seams that it's not just a "quirk" of the model but a defect that is being corrected.

I am heavily leaning Suz vs Kawi 1000 but the throttle has me kind of scared. I know there's a throttle tamer and pc 5 seams to help alot but as far as the power commander, I am not confident at all in my ability to install let alone use one. I would prefer to use the auto tune since I don't want to be tied to a local dyno guy who's ability is not guaranteed.

Good news from these recent posts is Suz is aware and has a fix in the pipeline. Alot of companies do the internal "if they ask for the fix give it to them but we won't officially acknowledge the issue at this point". I would imagine we'll see a hard fix with next year's model.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Any updates at this point? Seams that it's not just a "quirk" of the model but a defect that is being corrected.

I am heavily leaning Suz vs Kawi 1000 but the throttle has me kind of scared. I know there's a throttle tamer and pc 5 seams to help alot but as far as the power commander, I am not confident at all in my ability to install let alone use one. I would prefer to use the auto tune since I don't want to be tied to a local dyno guy who's ability is not guaranteed.

Good news from these recent posts is Suz is aware and has a fix in the pipeline. Alot of companies do the internal "if they ask for the fix give it to them but we won't officially acknowledge the issue at this point". I would imagine we'll see a hard fix with next year's model.

Suzukis hands are tied really. They can't fix it because emissions has them by the balls pretty much. So installing a pcV or the bazaaz (forget the name) is the way to go. All stock bikes run lean to pass emissions. So they all need a little help to run right. You won't need an auto tune. If you don't modify your exhaust or intake the stock map would be just fine.

Take a look at that video I posted in "power commander conclusions" and you'll see how much of a difference it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts

my mate bought Kwakka ,I bought GSXS, his FI is smoother in traffic , but his comment after riding the GSXS, WOW, wish i had bought that . Don't be fazed by throttle thing, it's a much better bike .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Suzukis hands are tied really. They can't fix it because emissions has them by the balls pretty much. So installing a pcV or the bazaaz (forget the name) is the way to go. All stock bikes run lean to pass emissions. So they all need a little help to run right. You won't need an auto tune. If you don't modify your exhaust or intake the stock map would be just fine.

Take a look at that video I posted in "power commander conclusions" and you'll see how much of a difference it made.

Already saw your thread and video. Does a great job showing the issue! If I planned on keeping the stock pipe, I would keep your advice but I plan on upgrading it at some point so it would seam like auto tune is the way to go.

In the mean time, do you think Suz would get i trouble if they started replacing ECUs which mess with the emissions to fix the throttle issue ONLY AFTER the bike is purchased? I would imagine they wouldn't want to touch unsold bikes.

Nice thing with bikes tho is once purchased, even in California, you never have to get them smogged or anything so you can tweak til your hearts content.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Already saw your thread and video. Does a great job showing the issue! If I planned on keeping the stock pipe, I would keep your advice but I plan on upgrading it at some point so it would seam like auto tune is the way to go.

In the mean time, do you think Suz would get i trouble if they started replacing ECUs which mess with the emissions to fix the throttle issue ONLY AFTER the bike is purchased? I would imagine they wouldn't want to touch unsold bikes.

Nice thing with bikes tho is once purchased, even in California, you never have to get them smogged or anything so you can tweak til your hearts content.

They would get in trouble because they're trying to circumvent the problem. They are forced to tune the bikes to pass emissions with a large margin. They know the Suzuki fans always tend to tune their bikes. A pcV is needed for pretty much any new stock bike or any bike with upgrades. Since a map might work on your friends bike doesn't mean it'll work perfectly (you might not notice) on your bike since every single engine is unique and even broken in differently. So that's what the auto tune helps with. I will upgrade to a full exhaust mostly to shave some weight off of her fat azz and gain a few hp and I'll need the pcV to let her breathe right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts