GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started seeing this issue pop up pretty frequently now. Recently the bike had been ridden for at least 30 minutes so should be well warmed up and the issue still happened a couple times. Ambient temperature around 65F.

As I'm coming to a stop, I'm holding in the clutch and downshifting several gears at a time to get down to first. Around 3rd or 2nd gear the engine will simply die with the clutch fully held down.

Is this something I should fiddle with idle/TPS? Or is this a common issue I should I just work around this by riding and giving it a little gas?

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it did not do it before, then something changed. Basically it does not idle. 4 cycle engines need air, fuel, compression, spark. Question is which one is missing/changed?

If it dies, will it idle on its own after you restart?
Do you need to apply throttle to get it to idle at all?
Or only after downshifting?
If only after downshifting, how long before it will idle without needing more gas?
What does the temperature gauge read?
Kind of difficult to guess, IMHO could be multiple things causing it.
Not a common issue that I am aware of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've started seeing this issue pop up pretty frequently now. Recently the bike had been ridden for at least 30 minutes so should be well warmed up and the issue still happened a couple times. Ambient temperature around 65F.

As I'm coming to a stop, I'm holding in the clutch and downshifting several gears at a time to get down to first. Around 3rd or 2nd gear the engine will simply die with the clutch fully held down.

Is this something I should fiddle with idle/TPS? Or is this a common issue I should I just work around this by riding and giving it a little gas?
Agree with gritty, this is not normal so something has changed.
Before you reach for the tool box, think through what may have changed. Has the bike stood in heavy rain or been washed before you rode it? Have you used a different fuel or filling station? Ridden on very dusty or gritty roads? There may be some fuel contamination or blocked air filter. Is the bike able to idle and run normally under throttle. Does the battery hold it's charge? I can't tell you what's wrong, but often problems like this arise from something simple.
Good luck with sorting your problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will continue looking at more questions when I can ride some more but this is what I have now if anyone has any further ideas. Thanks for the responses so far.

-If it dies, will it idle on its own after you restart? - Yes
-Do you need to apply throttle to get it to idle at all? - Not normally normal idle seems fine
-Or only after downshifting? - The engine has cut out while downshifting from high gears to 1st with no throttle and the clutch level fully depressed. This is the only issue that occurs.
-Road quality - Ridden over 1 bumpy dirt road recently, but it wasn't for very long.
-Battery - Recently replaced a battery that died literally a couple weeks after its warranty. Current battery seems to be holding charge fine as I have put it on the Noco Genius charger I have several times and it shows full/maintenance each time.
-Fuel - Haven't gone to any really suspect stations but I am due a fill up soon so I will get from a station I am very familiar with.
-Clutch switch - looks plausible, I'll have to test it some more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I will continue looking at more questions when I can ride some more but this is what I have now if anyone has any further ideas. Thanks for the responses so far.
Keep updating until resolved. These are the issues that help anybody else that the same issue happens to.

Like one time on an FJ1200 the fuel hose kinked when re-installed, partially restricting fuel flow. High fuel use would cause it to stall. Sitting a couple minutes, it was fine. A new piece of hose stopped it. Very strange when it started happening. And I walked home once, not knowing that sitting for a couple minutes would allow fuel to refill carb bowls and run fine as long as wide open throttle not used.

·
Registered
12 Posts

-If it dies, will it idle on its own after you restart? - Yes
-Do you need to apply throttle to get it to idle at all? - Not normally normal idle seems fine
-Or only after downshifting? - The engine has cut out while downshifting from high gears to 1st with no throttle and the clutch level fully depressed. This is the only issue that occurs.
-Road quality - Ridden over 1 bumpy dirt road recently, but it wasn't for very long.
-Battery - Recently replaced a battery that died literally a couple weeks after its warranty. Current battery seems to be holding charge fine as I have put it on the Noco Genius charger I have several times and it shows full/maintenance each time.
-Fuel - Haven't gone to any really suspect stations but I am due a fill up soon so I will get from a station I am very familiar with.
-Clutch switch - looks plausible, I'll have to test it some more.
jhokie,
just a thought, while checking the clutch switch, check the side stand switch as well. I had an intermittent fault on my old Blandit and it was the side stand spring not holding the stand against the switch over bumps causing the engine to cut out. Might be way off, but as the switches are connected in terms of safety engine kill, it be worth a look.
Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
This bike has a fuel cut off on closed throttle which will cause the engine to die if you are holding in the clutch and dropping multiple gears. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Just change the spark plugs and all will be restored to normal; it's crazy I know but been there done that; turns out the ecu tells the motor to not function if one of the plugs underperforms; this never happens on my gsxr but the gsxs has its own idiosyncracies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts