GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel
regardless of this dyno graph, im missing around 40 +psi of cylinder pressure, its been leaking past the pistons / rings, it lost around 30psi after i installed new piston rings with my teflon coated stock pistons, i had the cylinders diamond honed,and the cylinder head planed 10 thou and used a thinner head gasket to boost compression, so had thought it was sorted, ive measured up the pistons /rings, and cyl clearence, all well within std limits, today i called the cylinder replater's, he said it would require torque plates to straighten bores in cylinders....wish he had told me that b4 he honed them without the torque plates, which as far as i can determine is the most likely cause of my compression loss, as they must get warped by the crank cases and cyl head being tightened up to torque

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also found the starter clutch mechanism was catching/ rubbing , its body was quite blue looking from heating up, so i will replace that as well, it might be an isolated case but also might be worth checking when having your bike serviced

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update on the cylinders compression loss, ive called millenium tech in usa about some ?s i wanted answers to about the bore prep for replacement rings , and also big bore setups, seems the local co. here has basicly knackered my cylinder block, by diamond honing it without torque plates, plus they stuffed up the ring sealing due to putting too rough a finishing hone, so now my bores are out of round and theres probably not enough meat left to true them without risking chipping through the coating, so it looks like im going to send my block over to millenium to be recoated, also be sending my bro's sv1k cylinders to be bored and coated for the 2mm je piston kit im installing , guy there at millenium tech was very helpful, even offered to big bore it for free if i send it.....so now im thinking i might just go for a 76mm piston kit as well, as they boost torque very well, which is what i like in my engines, plus 190-200hp is possible with them...hahaha

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and so now i have a full set of stock new std bore pistons / rings / gudgeon pins & clips for sale, they fit all models of gsxs1k's, im open to offers so pm me if interested

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i couldnt find 76mm pistons thst would work with the gsxs combination of 16mm gudgeon pins and k7 style piston crowns, so now ive ordered a set of custom pistons from JE pistons, ive shipping my cyl block to millenium tech in wisconsin, they will work in conjunction with JE , then it will be shipped back in 9-10 weeks

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rang millenium today, my cyl block has finally arrived, and my bro's sv1000 cyl's, now 30 odd days and it will be on its way back - probably 2wks more, ive also ordered a complete set of crank bearings, new camchain, str clutch, gsxr750k3 valve springs, new conrod bolts, and some oil upgrade parts- sae outlaw hi-volume oil pump gear & hi pressure releif valve, also installing new v&h s/steel valves, viton valve seals, k8 camshafts to run it in, then the kelford race cams......

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been doing more research, apparently k7/8 comrods are the strongest stock gsxr k series rods, but thr 16mm wrist pins are stronger, so using tool steel 15mm pins with those k7 rods and some arp rod bolts provides strongest stock conrods , i still havent heard from je pistons about their piston weights, but cp 76mm are the same weight of stock gsxs pistons.
Next tidbit of information regards gearbox configurations, the gsxs uses the k5-8 gearbox which has a very tall 1st gear, there is an aftermarket gear from robinsons , this lowers the ratio in first a little, but ive found the earlier k3/4 gearbox is interchangable, it has much better ratio's for a roadbike, lower ratio 1st, 2nd, plus a taller 6th gear, which is something ive wanted, so im buying a low milage k4 gearset which i can get set up to go in my cases

·
Administrator
572 Posts
Next tidbit of information regards gearbox configurations, the gsxs uses the k5-8 gearbox which has a very tall 1st gear, there is an aftermarket gear from robinsons , this lowers the ratio in first a little, but ive found the earlier k3/4 gearbox is interchangable, it has much better ratio's for a roadbike, lower ratio 1st, 2nd, plus a taller 6th gear, which is something ive wanted, so im buying a low milage k4 gearset which i can get set up to go in my cases
Let us know how this turns out - very interested. Thx.

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive found multiple engine builders posts about the gsxrk1-4 gearbox being a dirrect swap, it has alot lower 1st gear, same 2nd, then progressively higher ratio 3rd - 6th gears, seems much better fit for a roadbike, ive found a couple of low km ones, so i will be installing one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts