GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
might just go for a 76mm piston kit
Isn't that going to make the engine block wall too thin?
Using stock con rods?
Interesting about the gearbox swap. Saved the text body of your posts for future reference. Looking forward to the final product. You and @fieromx3 have shared some excellent info on what can be done with the bike if you are willing to make major mods to have a sleeper.

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ive heard both for and against using 76mm pistons , yes some blocks crack....even with smaller pistons, im doing every available supporting mod to help reliability - head studs to torque higher clamping loads, main bearing case studs to hold cases togeather firmer, even considering block fill, plus im using coated pistons to minimise heat transfer, and lower friction, and im getting eng dyno tuned by a pro tuner to help avoid detonation issues, as those are leading causes of cyl block cracking, yes im using stock k8 rods they are the strongest std gsxr rods and are said to be reliable to 210whl hp, the piston weights are the same as stock and im not revving as high as std k8, so cant see any problem with there use, i do like the more suited gear ratio's for road use of k2 gearbox many dragracers use it also, so i think its a no brainer to use it, im waiting for the cp pistons to arrive at millenium, then ill have some measurements undertaken to determine how much machining i can get away with, aafter machining to lower comp ratio , i will get the crowns ceramic coated to lessen heat transfer

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
While visiting a m/cycle wreckers yesterday to get some updated forks to suit my bro's sv1000, he mentioned he has wrecked a couple of gsxs1000's, offered me a 23km eng for $2500, im thinking it would solve some problems having a complete spare engine...very tempted as my big-bore eng project has stalled for some time now, hanging out for a ride....

·
Registered
118 Posts
While visiting a m/cycle wreckers yesterday to get some updated forks to suit my bro's sv1000, he mentioned he has wrecked a couple of gsxs1000's, offered me a 23km eng for $2500, im thinking it would solve some problems having a complete spare engine...very tempted as my big-bore eng project has stalled for some time now, hanging out for a ride....
Grabbing a spare engine would give you the ability to put it back together and get back out in the wind while still building the other. Would make sense to me to pick it up.

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Picked it up yesterday, it was minus str/ drive gear, plus stator, i think its a pre- 2018 engine, itconly has 22kms, so should be in good shape, ill get it bolted into the chasis in a few days, as im still working on my brothers sv after he squashed it into a turning ute towing a horsefloat

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
While going over the spare mtr, i figured i might as well try out the gsxr1000k2 gearbox, if it seems alot better suited to road use, i will definetly use it in the big bore mtr, i am installing the eng later today and 2moro, so ill report back about the k2 gearbox, the ratio's seem alot more suitable for a roadbike

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Hi , i finally got my bike running again with the spare stock engine, only mod ive done is install a gsxr1000k2 gearbox, got a short test ride in this evening, all seems to be running well, 1st gear is so much better than the k7 1st gear, much better off the line, and i suspect the upper ratio's suit much better also, might try to get a longer ride 2moro morning, though weather forcast aint looking good

21 - 29 of 29 Posts