GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Registered
If I'm on a long ride, I take a 4 quarts of Royal Purple and change... no nevermind... I need to get out and ride... BUT IT'S TOO FREAKING COLD!!!

Registered
BUT IT'S TOO FREAKING COLD!!!
Wuss.
Seriously, it is, but I still do anyway. Have to have heated gloves. Then I am GTG to about 20F.
My coldest ride is about 6F. 45 minute commute at 23:00 hours years ago. Had to get the bike jumped to start it. Probably never ride that low again though.

Registered
Wuss.
Seriously, it is, but I still do anyway. Have to have heated gloves. Then I am GTG to about 20F.
My coldest ride is about 6F. 45 minute commute at 23:00 hours years ago. Had to get the bike jumped to start it. Probably never ride that low again though.
A balmy 6F? I rode once, at 2 a.m. when it was 1F. The bike, a Honda 550 started up and sounded like someone was wielding a hammer inside. I made it to the first corner, where I discovered that bias ply tires don鈥檛 corner well in those temperatures even when taking a corner upright, and fell off.

Soon as I got home, I of course changed my oil.馃槑

Registered
The question becomes ... why lol
Was it a because moment or out of necessity?

Because I鈥檇 just finished work and was going home. Of course when I rode to work it was much warmer and I didn鈥檛 consider how much colder it would get by the evening, and I thought I could bear it for the short 3 mil ride home.

of course I totally forgot about tires needing to heat up. My downfall. We are so used to radial tires on our bikes now we forget how bad bias ply are when it comes to cold roads. In Ontario if you are riding a bike with bias ply tires it鈥檚 best to put the bike away by October. With radials, you can pretty much ride until at least 1F if you have heated gear.

Registered
Of course when I rode to work it was much warmer and I didn鈥檛 consider how much colder it would get by the evening,
Same.
3 mil ride? Only 3 millimeters? Wuss. Why, my ride was uphill, both ways!

Registered
I know how you guys feel. I鈥檒l be heading out in the morning and it鈥檚 gonna be a freezing 55F, gradually rising to about 63 by mid afternoon. We Floridiots have it so hard. 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
On the upside we are still a few stages away from proving Godwin's Law :ROFLMAO:
I think there should be a corollary to Godwin's Law expressly for motor vehicle forums which states: "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of it devolving into an oil discussion approaches 1". :)

Registered
I鈥檒l be heading out in the morning and it鈥檚 gonna be a freezing 55F,
And I thought my 40 mile(round trip) ride last night at 28F was cold. You animal!

Reactions: JWC

Registered
And I thought my 40 mile(round trip) ride last night at 28F was cold. You animal!
You really are an Animal. I've commuted in that weather, but I don't ride in it for "fun rides". Since I work from home now, I'm not quite as likely to go out in that. I was tempted today. It was a balmy 36F, but the north wind put the wind chill at about 20F. Mmmm... No.

Registered
My boss is so lazy that he would go from 1st gear to 6th gear. Of course I'd never let him touch my bike.
Due to a bit of arthritis in my left hand and a touch of laziness my shifting is 1-3-6. As long as you don鈥檛 lug the engine it can鈥檛 cause any damage. Same as my car, I shift 1-3-5.
As for bad habits, gotta stop testing myself for testicular cancer on public transport. I tend to get funny looks.

Registered
Due to a bit of arthritis in my left hand and a touch of laziness my shifting is 1-3-6. As long as you don鈥檛 lug the engine it can鈥檛 cause any damage. Same as my car, I shift 1-3-5.
As for bad habits, gotta stop testing myself for testicular cancer on public transport. I tend to get funny looks.
:ROFLMAO:
Seriously though, stomping through the gears 123456 while twisting to full throttle is pretty darn entertaining! I've got some arthritis too, and shorty levers with the end knob catching about my forth finger really helps.

Registered
If arthritis makes shifting more difficult, go clutchless on your upshifts. I do when I am trying to get maximum acceleration. If my hand was also problematic, I would probably always upshift with no clutch.

There is a lot of debate as to whether this causes premature wear. Yes, if not done correctly, it can wear things out or bend forks. The clutch is to unload the drive train to allow gears to slide. When the throttle is quickly closed after nearing redline, the gear train is unloaded very briefly. Same as pulling in the clutch. Up-Shift during this small window of time, no premature wear occurs. Like a quick shifter.

Registered
Thanks for that.
My previous bike was an old Kwaka ZX9 and for the last 40,000km of its life I did clutchless upshifts and it seemed OK. Always used the clutch when fanging it though.

Registered
Thanks for that.
My previous bike was an old Kwaka ZX9 and for the last 40,000km of its life I did clutchless upshifts and it seemed OK. Always used the clutch when fanging it though.

I personally only do 鈥渇anging鈥 when I鈥檓 coming out of a bend at high rpm, with my knee kissing the ground. 馃槤

41 - 60 of 70 Posts