GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have quantifiable exhaust noise data? I would like a list to compare stock to slip-ons and full exhausts. So far I have only found noise levels from BOS exhaust. Per BOS, at 5000 RPM, stock is rated at 100 dBA and was measured to be 96.5 dBA. BOS claims their slip-on brings the noise level back up to 100dBA. I know Yoshi is usually quiet but have no data as of yet. I really want more noise without a header but am worried that a slip-on is just paying $600 for looks. So what data is out there?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I couldn't find specific info for our bikes for the M4. This is a general statement from their site:

"Q: What does a M4 exhaust sound like?
A: Well to be honest, most aftermarket systems sound pretty much the same. Some have a deep sound and some, after a few miles, have a raspy sound.
We feel our systems have a deep, mellow sound. Most systems are around 92 to 98db's.
If you run your rpm up to the rev limiter the db's may go as high as 100 to 102db's."

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't find specific info for our bikes for the M4. This is a general statement from their site:

"Q: What does a M4 exhaust sound like?
A: Well to be honest, most aftermarket systems sound pretty much the same. Some have a deep sound and some, after a few miles, have a raspy sound.
We feel our systems have a deep, mellow sound. Most systems are around 92 to 98db's.
If you run your rpm up to the rev limiter the db's may go as high as 100 to 102db's."
We'll if stock if 96.5 to 100 dBA then an aftermarket can does almost nothing for sound.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does anyone here have quantifiable exhaust noise data? I would like a list to compare stock to slip-ons and full exhausts. So far I have only found noise levels from BOS exhaust. Per BOS, at 5000 RPM, stock is rated at 100 dBA and was measured to be 96.5 dBA. BOS claims their slip-on brings the noise level back up to 100dBA. I know Yoshi is usually quiet but have no data as of yet. I really want more noise without a header but am worried that a slip-on is just paying $600 for looks. So what data is out there?
Hi

Found this on a German GSX S1000 forum - Arrow header +Stock slip on, then with Akra and Yoshi slip ons.

If you still want to have more sound but without headers,see my OEM baffle bypass thread

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Found this on a German GSX S1000 forum - Arrow header +Stock slip on, then with Akra and Yoshi slip ons.

If you still want to have more sound but without headers,see my OEM baffle bypass thread
Thanks. I love how the Yoshi slip-on is quieter than stock. lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if any one is interested, I put a dB application on my phone and took some "scientific" measurements last night. Standing next to my bike with my arms as far apart as possible (6ft span), my left hand holding the phone, and my right hand on the throttle, 98 dB at 5000 RPM was measured. Sound spiked to 101 dB with a quick rev to 5k. If I put the phone right at the muffler, the highest dB was 103 on a quick rev to 5000 RPM. More proof that slip ons which max around 100 dB will do nothing for sound on this bike.

·
Registered
387 Posts
New headers the only way for noise.
new headers are not the only way for noise, removing the collector box is where most dB increase is obtained, I have standard headers with collector box removed with a link pipe to a Racefit can, measured on a meter was showing 105dB at tickover, 6000revs and over it howles like a motoGp bike,

https://youtu.be/I4kooxCptjA

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah and if I ever want to put it back on I can slip it back on the headers with a short link pipe welded to the collector box, whole lot cheaper than Arrow headers

·
Registered
116 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts