GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my faired model I had an issue with rain water collecting and pouring out when the bike was put on the side stand. I initially thought it was coolant and decided to take a look and check the coolant level, Anyone tried doing this on the faired version?
Whose idea was it to envelope it in fairing? and how do you top it up without dismantling the whole fairing. You cant see the level marks unless you've wedged your head between the front wheel and the fairing and you can only reach the cap if your fortunate to have eight inch fingers and a double jointed wrist.
Or am I a real dumb ass and missing something obvious? :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
i took the fairing off and managed to put it all back together again but it is by far the most complicated one i have ever done and it took ages. I have repaired hundreds of bikes of different makes years etc. this was the first that took me over an hour to take apart. However once you figure it out it should be easer second time around (hopefully)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The fairings do take some removing & I found the worst was the connection of the two fairings in front of the headers. It does seem to have fewer fasteners than most which is good & it does become easier if you lube some of the rubber to plastic connections before re fitting, & it is easier second time around as you know how they should come off. One hour removal was much better than my time. I also found difficulty in checking the coolant level, but my other bike has the expansion bottle inside the fairing so I used the same system. Put the bike on a level stand & turn the front wheel so the bottle is visible, then shine a good torch on it, now hold the wheel or the forks & gently rock the bike & you should see the coolant moving in the bottle. This will give you a good idea of the coolant level. Good luck.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can tell just by looking at it that the designers had everything perfectly positioned and then realized they forgot the coolant tank. You can almost hear them "Eeeerrrm, Miagi-San, where does this go?"

My viffer has the tank behind the side fairing and requires taking the fairing off too to top up or check properly. Some design stuff-ups are universal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts