GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a halfway poor decision to go for a ride this morning, my wife made me wait until the sun came out.... i had forgot how cold 27 was.... well i am off to search for some cold weather gloves and pants because my fingers are still numb and my thighs feel like they are on fire

·
Registered
72 Posts
is that snow on the mountains? Which location?
The only comfortable way to dress for cold weather ridding is with heated gears

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Salt lake county, utah... snow was pretty heavy last night when i was at work but the roads were mostly dry this morning which makes for good riding conditions in my opinion....

picture from last night at work

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nothing worse than cold hands. I typically try not to ride if it's mid/high 30s or below. I am a fair weather rider, lol.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Nothing worse than cold hands. I typically try not to ride if it's mid/high 30s or below. I am a fair weather rider, lol.
+1 to this. I was on the highway yesterday and it was about 25-30 where I live. Saw someone on a supersport in the other lanes flying through traffic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Forgotenpast, I owned my last Suzuki when I lived in Salt Lake--did my paper route in Mt. Olympus cove on a 250 Hustler :). I thought those winters were cold until moved to Denver. Rode to high school (below freezing) missed a shift and the throttle cable pulled out of the carb fitting and it stuck on full throttle--hands were so cold took forever to turn the key off. Ha! Now I can complain when its in the 50s 'cause I've golfed when its 118F.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been riding around in 25-35 degree Fahrenheit weather. Even with heated grips the tips of my fingers still get cold. Using winter gauntlets as well. I'm about to fit some wind guards for the handlebars to see if that takes care of it. The rest of me is fine. Full leathers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've been riding around in 25-35 degree Fahrenheit weather. Even with heated grips the tips of my fingers still get cold. Using winter gauntlets as well. I'm about to fit some wind guards for the handlebars to see if that takes care of it. The rest of me is fine. Full leathers.

You will not regret installing the wind guards, I have them on my Vstrom and find with them I don't even need to turn on the heated grips a lot of the time they work that well,

·
Registered
974 Posts
Actually I just done a conversion Fahrenheit to Celsius and yes I think you will need the heated grips on also :) , bugger that too cold for me, I don't ride under 60 Fahrenheit lol

Reactions: dqban

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
There's still some good fun to be had out there on cold crisp dry days in my opinion. You need to invest in some to good gear to make it more pleasurable, that's for sure. I haven't seen any wind guards i like as yet but some heated grips and a good set of winter gauntlets are a good start.
Textiles thermal jackets and leggings are pretty good these days. Go for removable thermal linings versions and you can use them in the warmers seasons too. Or, if you really are serious and are doing a lot of winter miles, you can get heated under garments and be really toasty:)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am experiencing the opposite side of the coin.
My kitchen thermometer just now is at 33 C /91 F, humidity @ 70% - stinking hot.
It's been too hot for the last 2 weeks to ride with all the gear on (no squidding). The 2 bikes haven't moved, BUT the car's a/c is great.
Move on to Autumn conditions in late May. We have 9 months of Summer in the Sunshine State of Queensland.

Rob.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The riding conditions are great right now in Florida. But in summer the conditions are much as Rob described above. I tend to do a loop ride of about 230 miles that with stops takes about 5.5 to 6 hours. So in summer I get up real early and leave the house just before sunup so I can get home just after noon. It is no fun to be out in the later part of the day.

I am not complaining. I know you cold climate guys have it worse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The weather has been much warmer lately but the handguards have made a very noticeable improvement in keeping the tips of my fingers from getting much cooler than the rest of my hands. They are just some really cheap $10 eBay jobs that don't even fit properly. I'll have to find a set of guards that clip on to the bar ends or something for a more permanent install. So, with heated grips, a winter gauntlet, and the handguards I would say cold weather can be handled pretty well. Haven't had any other issues elsewhere as far as getting cold goes.

Really pleased with the Oxford grips as well. Well worth the money though installing them requires filing/sanding down the plastic throttle slider.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The weather has been much warmer lately but the handguards have made a very noticeable improvement in keeping the tips of my fingers from getting much cooler than the rest of my hands. They are just some really cheap $10 eBay jobs that don't even fit properly. I'll have to find a set of guards that clip on to the bar ends or something for a more permanent install. So, with heated grips, a winter gauntlet, and the handguards I would say cold weather can be handled pretty well. Haven't had any other issues elsewhere as far as getting cold goes.

Really pleased with the Oxford grips as well. Well worth the money though installing them requires filing/sanding down the plastic throttle slider.

Bark busters are available for the GSXS
I like the look of the carbon ones and may invest in a pair later

http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/suzuki/gsxs1000-2015on

·
Registered
204 Posts
I live in Norway and my rule is I put away the bike for the winter and dont ride untill the ice and snow has gone and the road salt has washed away. Then i wait untill it is 8 - 9 degrees C and clear skys for my first ventures out in the spring. The problem here is i can start a ride at 10 degress C go a short way and end up on an ice covered road at - 4 or 5 degrees C. Last year i went for a ride late sprng and stupidly decided to go across the mountins to a drag strip. Started and it was good weather and 14 degrees C got half way and the skys opened and it rained and snowed on me over the mountain i was so cold i had to stop for 20 min to defrost half way. Got to the drag strip and it was sunny and 15 degrees C sigh roll on summer i have already had enough storms wind rain and cold and winter isnt even half over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts