GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been counting the days down until tax season to get a used Gixxes, just can't decide between the naked or the faired version, i've heard that the faired version handles and brakes better than the naked, any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never ridden the F model so I can't comment on handling. For me it boiled down to which one I liked better. The F would have given better wind protection but the styling didn't speak to me as much as the naked model. It was also $500 less which helped because I was already stretching my budget. I was orginally looking at an FZ09 but I justified the extra cost by saying that I wouldn't have to dump $$$ into the suspension right away. I'm about 230 in gear.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not forgetting that the only denominator for overal excellence is whether you get the right colour or not! :D

Naked. Looks better and waaaaaaay easier to work on. And looks better. And more manly.

And no, I won't take this seriously.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I've heard (and this is all hearsay) is that the fairings and the windscreen plant the faired version's front wheel more solidly at high speeds through turns, and I'm kinda willing to believe that, but I think that it's minimal at best.

I think that the faired looks better in blue, and that the naked looks better in red. The faired in red looks like Angry Birds to me. I'm kinda an outlier though as I don't own my own yet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
What I've heard (and this is all hearsay) is that the fairings and the windscreen plant the faired version's front wheel more solidly at high speeds through turns, and I'm kinda willing to believe that, but I think that it's minimal at best.

I think that the faired looks better in blue, and that the naked looks better in red. The faired in red looks like Angry Birds to me. I'm kinda an outlier though as I don't own my own yet.
I've not ridden the F so can only comment on the naked and mine handles just as well as my K5 gsxr1000 did,
and the naked is a different red than the F that's why it looks better:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a fairly long test ride on both before I bought one. Bearing in mind I'd watched all the same reviews as everyone else so may have had some expectations, and also that they were different bikes so had standard bike-to-bike differences anyway ...

I did find the F handled better than the naked. I felt more confident on it right from the start and it did seem to tip into corners a bit more easily.

The wind protection was good enough to make 80mph not seem completely terrifying.

I went for the F in the end, but that's really just because I don't like nakeds that much as I want a bike I can use for long distances on motorways and because it rains here a lot.

I thought they were both fantastic and would have been happy no matter which one I bought, so go with whichever appeals to you most superficially.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ESXBOY, lol yeah that powerdrift review of the gixxes f was really good, they do great vid reviews

·
Registered
70 Posts
It just comes down to what you think looks better. The F will have slightly better wind protection, but not much. And it's a bit more of a pain to take apart, but not bad once you learn how.
Otherwise they're both the same.

I think it's cool that Suzuki has offered both naked and faired versions of some of their bikes. Busa/B-King, SVs, GSXS. I hope they do a faired version of the new SV.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I own a blue F model and would like a red and black naked added to my stable. Im an owner of a 2011 yamaha FZ8 and i like the subtleness for in town. Lately I have been using my FZ8 as a commuter to work all 124 miles of it daily.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rhino, I bought the F-model primarily due to the type riding environment here in the Phoenix area. Seems all decent roads are an hour-ride away so I wanted a little wind break. The F also seems to help mileage as I get 45 to 46 mpg (cruising at 80ish) -- this helps for my favorite ride to Jerome which is 302 miles and I can make the first gas stop at 185 mile midpoint. But, as others stated, the non-f is easier to access for service. And if you want to make it into a hooligan-mobile (ie, install tail tidy, pipe, etc etc), I would choose the naked. Nice to have such happy choices :).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think both bikes look good modded, i've seen some pics of the gixxes f with tail tidys, bar end mirrors and some with low windscreens, but either one would look good with some mods.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On a side note i recently found out that M4 has a full exhaust system for the Gixxes 1000, anyone here run that full exhaust

1 - 20 of 29 Posts