GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone got a video of removing the fairing etc to change the oil and filter ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I found you don't in fact need to fully remove the fairing to do simple oil and filter change.

I loosened the fairings and was easily able to access the sump bolt and by moving the expansion tank (1x10mm bolt) i could gain access to the oil filter. (Of course you have to be very careful and not pull fairings around to much)

This saved time and also i didn't have to worry about the dreaded scratch issue.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I found you don't in fact need to fully remove the fairing to do simple oil and filter change.

I loosened the fairings and was easily able to access the sump bolt and by moving the expansion tank (1x10mm bolt) i could gain access to the oil filter. (Of course you have to be very careful and not pull fairings around to much)

This saved time and also i didn't have to worry about the dreaded scratch issue.
Yep I agree , it wasn't simple to remove the filter and to install the new one withe fairing on but it is possible, I'm guessing that's how the first service was done also by the dealer

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi

I want to change headers on F - How do you separate the two side fairings at bottom front?.
The central snap pin is easy, but handbook refers to unclick hooks- I am worried something will break if I pull any harder - How to unhook?

Just Sorted it ---------
Between the two locating pieces there is a "flap" that if you slide a flat screwdiver into release a detent latch

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does anyone have more information on removing fairings (close-up or description of hooks/clips)? This is my first fairing bike and I want to perform the 600 mile maintenance (torquing exhaust, chassis bolts, etc). I have the document from Post #2 but I can't get a feel for what the clips and hooks are like, and really don't want to break any plastic.

Any info, links, or even similarities to other bikes where I can find information would be great.

Thank you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does anyone have more information on removing fairings (close-up or description of hooks/clips)? This is my first fairing bike and I want to perform the 600 mile maintenance (torquing exhaust, chassis bolts, etc). I have the document from Post #2 but I can't get a feel for what the clips and hooks are like, and really don't want to break any plastic.

Any info, links, or even similarities to other bikes where I can find information would be great.

Thank you!
http://www.crservice.dk/Suzuki_mc/GSX-S1000/GSX-S1000A_FA_L6_Technical_Service _Information.pdf

Has everything you need for maintenance type work. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks - I've looked at that, but I can't tell how the plastic clips interface with each other, which way to pull, etc.
You were right - it was just the first panel that I wasn't sure about. It wasn't too bad to unclip, although now I've got a nice freaking gouge in my plastic tank cover due to the metal retaining clip at the rear of the panel :mad:

Of course, in the Service Manual it says to put a rag between the 'meter panel' and fuel tank cover. I wish I took another minute to realize the 'meter panel' was the same as the 'right upper fairing'. Hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake. And I guess I can look at it as still saving $100 over a dealer service, if I factor in the cost of a new fuel tank cover.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Joe, that fuel tank cover is about $130. Maybe you can just put some touch up paint on it. I dropped my f model on its side when I f**ked up getting it of the stand. Lost a small amount of red paint to the garage floor in the process of getting it back upright. Snatched all the red nail polish out of wife's bathroom cabinet. Mixed a bit of two if them by eyeballing the color and covered the lost paint area. Good enough!

She has no blue polish so I would have been out of luck with blue bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks - that makes me feel a little better. I might try to fix it - I thought it would bother me more than it is, so maybe I can live with a band-aid.

So I pretty much finished the '600 mile service' - there are a few things that aren't covered in that tech document that are needed for that kind of maintenance, and the body panel removal isn't in the right order.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Does anyone have a video of the naked fairing removal procedure....? I tried after work today so I could remove the radiator to check the torque of the header bolts but I couldn't figure out how to get the small fairings off. I know I could drop the radiator without taking those off but I'd prefer to take them off so I know how to do it for future reference.

I got both retainers off and the screw on the top of the fairing, but have no idea how to "unhook" the fairings to allow them to slide off their mounts...

I understand red, blue, and yellow but not green. It looks like a hard tug would release green but I'm afraid to do that because these fairings are the outer shell and inner black plastic shell. I don't want to break anything!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not sure if this helps, its the PCV install but it shows them clipping it off pushing forward

Reactions: Joe Garfield

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Yea that's just the yellow clips, I need help with green.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's what I thought, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
If you're still feeling nervous, get something soft/plastic behind them and lever them off (so you don't scratch anything). I agree that it feels unnatural to just yank on them. They're particularly firm, especially when new.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That's what I thought, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Put a dob of grease on the rubbers when you put them back together, it makes it easier next time

Reactions: ChicagoAJ and 17105

·
Registered
34 Posts
My plastics are scratched all over from trying to figure out how to get it off and back on. Suzuki did a **** job of designing the fairing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My plastics are scratched all over from trying to figure out how to get it off and back on. Suzuki did a **** job of designing the fairing.
Sorry to hear :( I stopped trying to mess with them - I scratched the tank cover the first time trying to remove the 'meter panel' or whatever. I removed enough to do the 600 mile service, and decided I'd rather spill oil on my headers than try to mess with pulling apart the fairings. They are SO tight, at least when new.

The side fairings are surprisingly not horribly expensive...yet. I think I paid $130 for the right side blue fairing after my first drop. I'f you're anywhere near Los Angeles and need that fairing, I still have it and never used it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts