GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
….the irony is that the very reason for the GSX-S existence is supposed to be get away from the GSX-R clip-ons, to give it a bit more comfort for the streets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the problem for some of us is we cant insure the GSXR series bikes. insurance around here wont cover 'supersport' bikes but I was able to insure the GSXS bike... and I would like to 'convert' it to more of a supersport bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Driven SBK bar on mine, it's about 30mm lower than the stock bar, anything lower and you will start running into issues with the bar hitting the tank fairing when at full lock. One nice thing about running this bar is that it allows you to use a 2" Rox Riser without having to lengthen any cables, so you can run it low for track days and canyon runs, and then put on the risers for longer rides to get a little more comfort, only takes a few minutes to switch between the two. Here are some pics of my bike with the Driven bar and no riser to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the Driven SBK bar on mine, it's about 30mm lower than the stock bar, anything lower and you will start running into issues with the bar hitting the tank fairing when at full lock. One nice thing about running this bar is that it allows you to use a 2" Rox Riser without having to lengthen any cables, so you can run it low for track days and canyon runs, and then put on the risers for longer rides to get a little more comfort, only takes a few minutes to switch between the two. Here are some pics of my bike with the Driven bar and no riser to give you an idea of what it looks like.
Very nice. I was looking into getting a Rox riser to do something similar being that it looks like it might work with the Toby steering damper. Nice to know that there's enough pseudo bar to fit the slightly offset handlebar clamp.

I'm currently using a Renthal Fatbar Street Low instead, which I rolled back to be more perpendicular with the forks instead of parallel to the ground. Feels like a mix between sportbike and supermoto. Could probably use a little more sweep though as being leaned forward feels a little harder on the wrists if you don't maintain elbows out.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Once you modify or "convert" it to a super sport you will have to notify the insurance to stay legally covered anyway so I cant really see the point of the excersize.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Once you modify or "convert" it to a super sport you will have to notify the insurance to stay legally covered anyway so I cant really see the point of the excersize.
So swapping a handlebar requires that I notify my insurance company because now the bike's a super sport??

Sorry, I'm not buying that. I didn't have to notify them when I swapped my mirrors, lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, Can you upload picture with this Driven SBK handlebar when full lock. I plan tu change to this bar for December track day. Thank you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So are those bars angled down on the ends Like a Ducati street fighter?
Is there a part number?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Can you upload picture with this Driven SBK handlebar when full lock. I plan tu change to this bar for December track day. Thank you.
Attached is a picture at full lock with a tape measure between the bar and tank for reference. I've also attached two photos of the Driven bar clamped to the OEM bar to give an idea of the different dimensions.

So are those bars angled down on the ends Like a Ducati street fighter?
Is there a part number?
Thanks
Jeff
Depends on how you have them set in the top clamp, at the 0 mark they look to be pretty much flat with the ground, set at the +1 or +2 mark will give a slight upward angle, and -1 or -2 will give a slight downward angle.

The Driven part number is DME-SBK-1

Also worth noting is that the inner diameter of the Driven bars is 9/16" vs the 5/8" of the OEM bars, as well as most street bars, which can cause problems with getting bar ends fitted. Driven makes bar ends that fit, but I ended up boring the ends of the bars out with a 5/8" drill bit so I could use my Woodcraft bar ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Attached is a picture at full lock with a tape measure between the bar and tank for reference. I've also attached two photos of the Driven bar clamped to the OEM bar to give an idea of the different dimensions.

Depends on how you have them set in the top clamp, at the 0 mark they look to be pretty much flat with the ground, set at the +1 or +2 mark will give a slight upward angle, and -1 or -2 will give a slight downward angle.

The Driven part number is DME-SBK-1

Also worth noting is that the inner diameter of the Driven bars is 9/16" vs the 5/8" of the OEM bars, as well as most street bars, which can cause problems with getting bar ends fitted. Driven makes bar ends that fit, but I ended up boring the ends of the bars out with a 5/8" drill bit so I could use my Woodcraft bar ends.

Thank you. Really appreciate you picture. Sorry for asking so much. Can you upload pictures from the top (from rider view) and during full lock left and right. Want to see the cable management.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
So swapping a handlebar requires that I notify my insurance company because now the bike's a super sport??

Sorry, I'm not buying that. I didn't have to notify them when I swapped my mirrors, lol.
My Insurer has a question with a Y/N required answer " Has the bike been modified from stock ?"
Tick Yes, and a box open's up for you to list those item's. Tick N and you are declaring it's more stock than LEAVEITSTOCK's stock bike.

The advantage of an ECU flash only with a stock exhaust and emissions' system intact is that if it is stolen (or later recovered) or totalled,
the Insurer Inspector would never know, but a clip on handle bar could be an out for them to go looking for an excuse to deny a claim on undisclosed 'performance' grounds.
If you were up front in the first place with them and disclosed that you were a real live silverback mountain gorilla, hence the raised pegs, banana swingarm and lowered bars, they would be OK with those mods. ;)
Rob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you. Really appreciate you picture. Sorry for asking so much. Can you upload pictures from the top (from rider view) and during full lock left and right. Want to see the cable management.
Are these pictures what you are looking for? As far as the cables go, I didn't bother zip tying any of the wiring to the new bar which seems to be fine, and the throttle, brake, and clutch cables are all just running the same as they were with the stock bar I believe. If you need any other pics let me know, happy to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Are these pictures what you are looking for? As far as the cables go, I didn't bother zip tying any of the wiring to the new bar which seems to be fine, and the throttle, brake, and clutch cables are all just running the same as they were with the stock bar I believe. If you need any other pics let me know, happy to help.
How tall are you and how do you like the ergos compared to stock with the Driven bar and how is the wind, with and without the Rox risers? Also, which riser did you get as they make an extended stem version? Debating whether or not to keep the supermoto-centric Street Low as I wouldn't mind a bit more sweep.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, this the one. Thank you so much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts