GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I made the name up. I got bored and decided to buy a set of GSXR1000 Chinese knock off lightech adapters. They are supposedly made of aircraft grade aluminum. The machining seem solid and everything fits. I remember reading that we basically have the same swingarm from a GSXR and I notice we use the same axle block so I gave it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
OK, so I made the name up. I got bored and decided to buy a set of GSXR1000 Chinese knock off lightech adapters. They are supposedly made of aircraft grade aluminum. The machining seem solid and everything fits. I remember reading that we basically have the same swingarm from a GSXR and I notice we use the same axle block so I gave it a shot.

Thats good to know.. Have been mulling over buying a set..

·
Registered
217 Posts
You forgot the price?

Probably have solid black as well?

Look good & time will tell about the Chinese aluminum, heck................their air force seems to be doing ok;)
The Jet's minimum stress is much greater than the stress on these (that's the way i would think positive about them).

have fun!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably have solid black as well?

Look good & time will tell about the Chinese aluminum, heck................their air force seems to be doing ok;)

The Jet's minimum stress is much greater than the stress on these (that's the way i would think positive about them).

have fun!

I actually asked what grade aluminum and they said all of their products are a minimum of 6061 but if it is a high stress area they will use higher grades of aluminum. Even if it was 6061 that would be plenty for this application..... they pretty much had a rainbow of colors

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have some Chinese knockoff Rizoma mirrors from Aliexpress and have been very happy with them so I wouldn't be too afraid to order some more CNC China junk.

As far as the 6061 goes... they can claim whatever grade of aluminum they want. Who knows what it actually is. You'll need to befriend a metallurgist to find out.

A lot of metals that come out of China are from recycled materials and not up to high standard. Don't see the point in changing this particular part out though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea if its really 6061...for its intended purpose though, just needs to be solid. I've ordered carbon fiber bike frames from china....everyone always makes claims how those frames are sketchy because they come from China. I can definitely tell you, those frames have performed awesome so far.

I think that as the years have gone by and manufacturing processes become cheaper and more available to the masses, higher quality parts have become available for less $$. Even if it was originally scrap metal, melting it down and refining has also become cheaper. I do agree however that I have no way of knowing without proper testing

Given the carbon fiber example above, I know the company I purchased from makes frames for several larger companies around the world. The $650 frame I purchased from them, made to similar specs as one of my MTB bikes, would have cost about $2500 to $3000 in the "Western" world. If they can make a profit at $650, how much profit is Trek making off theirs? How much is Lightech making?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The biggest problem with the knock off parts is the Anodizing, It will fade.
Ill post a pic of some levers later today!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are all over ebay....easy to find. The listing i used is gone.

I thought about the color fading after while but I wasn't too worried..... i've had some Chinese stuff last a long time without fading and if it does it only cost me about $40 to have it redone any color I want.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What year of Gsxr you choose ? Are they all the same.

Thanks.

I don't remember the exact year I chose but I did select the previous gen. Gsxr...... besides reading that they use the same swingarm I also noticed they use the same axel block.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here are the knock Levers from my Yamaha FZ6r

This was about a year after i bought them, but we where living on the Eastern Shore of VA at the time!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts