GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that filling the tank takes a long time, the first 15 litres goes in quickly but getting the next 2 litres in takes an age, dribbling it in and letting it vent

What is the purpose of thei metalwork inside the tank filler neck and has anyone ever removed it?

Reactions: Pires

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would lift the tank and check the hoses. I wouldn’t remove the metal thing even if you can, it holds the nozzle while you fill up and is where you should stop filling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait, are you using a can or pump? If you’re pumping gas don’t add after the pump stops ya know

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hold the pump nozzle just slightly above that hole in the plate.
I hold the nozzle in the hole, open the nozzle shut-off by resting it on the open tank filler and pressing down, pull the trigger, and watch the fuel go in --- it goes fast.
Been doing it this way for years on many bikes/

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts
That metalwork is the maximum level your supposed to fill it too. I find you can get another 1.5 - 2.0 liters in if you have the patience.

Reactions: Simon W

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts
Is it better or worse than an oil thread as I see yet another one has been started. :rolleyes:
It must get some cred for being the first ever tank filler though.
How about one for how to ..... blow up your tyres, which side of the bike to get on, which pocket to keep your wallet in, which hand to turn the key with...... any other suggestions are welcome. ;)

Reactions: trevor

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it better or worse than an oil thread as I see yet another one has been started. :rolleyes:
It must get some cred for being the first ever tank filler though.
How about one for how to ..... blow up your tyres, which side of the bike to get on, which pocket to keep your wallet in, which hand to turn the key with...... any other suggestions are welcome. ;)
Excellent idea Dekker. I’ll contribute to your proposed thread.

I blow up my tires with a hand pump.

I get on the bike from either side because I am ambidextrous, but on occasion I approach the bike from the rear, place my hands on the passenger seat and vault on, slam the bike into first gear and take off before either foot hits the ground. It’s best to have the engine running.

I don’t have a wallet. I just carry $100 bills in my jean pocket.

In regards to turning the key, I always have my manservant start the bike. He follows behind in the Cadillac, just in case I stop, and need someone to switch the engine off. He of course also gasses the bike up.

Thats about it. 😎

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts

I get on the bike from either side because I am ambidextrous, but on occasion I approach the bike from the rear, place my hands on the passenger seat and vault on, slam the bike into first gear and take off before either foot hits the ground. It’s best to have the engine running.

In regards to turning the key, I always have my manservant start the bike. He follows behind in the Cadillac, just in case I stop, and need someone to switch the engine off. He of course also gasses the bike up.

Thats about it. 😎
You dah man. (y)

·
Registered
635 Posts

Thats about it. 😎
Typical Harley rider!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I find that filling the tank takes a long time, the first 15 litres goes in quickly but getting the next 2 litres in takes an age, dribbling it in and letting it vent

What is the purpose of thei metalwork inside the tank filler neck and has anyone ever removed it?
1. it reinforces the hole in tank, so it wont be deformed after rider places his belly on it.
2. it holds the pistol
3. it allows air replaced by fuel to come out.

if you are in hurry than just put 15ltrs, with some patience you can get it additional 1.5. but you have to wait so all air go out.
if someone holds your bike straight (vertical) than additional 0.5ltrs might be in. but relax and ...... wait till air goes out....

if not enough, than check adventure bikes with 30ltrs tanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
not allowed in some countries to do so
Pretty much outlawed here in Australia, well at least in my state. Pretty sure the risk is incredibly small and is negated by the risk associated with riding a motorcycle on a public road in the first place. Also no mobile phone use but I can use my mobile phone to pay whilst I fill up? Yep. Our government is retarded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pretty much outlawed here in Australia, well at least in my state. Pretty sure the risk is incredibly small and is negated by the risk associated with riding a motorcycle on a public road in the first place. Also no mobile phone use but I can use my mobile phone to pay whilst I fill up? Yep. Our government is retarded.
there are few points:
1. There is a risk of static electricity on your cloths.
2. You have to control your legs and hands dif sitting on a bike while gasing. In case of external impact (wind, snow, a guy who shouted "HI") you may fall aside with the bike and
3. you might be jammed by 200-300kgs bike. Fuel WILL be out and.... (see #1) fireshow starts.

Of course gas station has protection valves and bla bla bla, but lying under your bike in fire - not something i want to try =).

Safety norms sounds weird sometimes, but.... ther are risks of flame, injures, mechanical and flame damages of other people vehicles, small risk of an explosion.

If you would be a gas station manager, you prefer to have all these risks and help some guy to have additional 0.5ltrs in his bike? =)

·
Registered
847 Posts
there are few points:
1. There is a risk of static electricity on your cloths.
2. You have to control your legs and hands dif sitting on a bike while gasing. In case of external impact (wind, snow, a guy who shouted "HI") you may fall aside with the bike and
3. you might be jammed by 200-300kgs bike. Fuel WILL be out and.... (see #1) fireshow starts.

Of course gas station has protection valves and bla bla bla, but lying under your bike in fire - not something i want to try =).

Safety norms sounds weird sometimes, but.... ther are risks of flame, injures, mechanical and flame damages of other people vehicles, small risk of an explosion.

If you would be a gas station manager, you prefer to have all these risks and help some guy to have additional 0.5ltrs in his bike? =)
All valid and I wouldn't personally do it either but go check your facts statistically against road accidents and fatalities involving motorcycles. Much higher chance you don't even make it to the petrol station. Puts things into perspective.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts