GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shipped my ecu to FTECU this morning for a standard full exhaust flash and ordering up a full system M4.

I’ve had enough of the stock setup. Bike has really low miles on it even after 15 months only 4600 miles to date. Hardest part is waiting for it to all come in. I’m pulling the stock exhaust later today the bike will just sit on my bike lift until everything arrives.

Best time of year to do this, weather is crap outside lately.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the Euro4 boat anchor is off!

Was not bad, SET motor removal was the hardest part. PAIR plugged up even though it’ll be inactive after the flash I plugged it. O2 bung hole cap will be ordered Monday for the M4 pipe. Probably just stick with stock air filter for now. I removed the stupid baffle plate long ago.

Stock pipe is one heavy dude! Headed to the land fill.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hardest part is waiting for it to all come in.
Me ordering something for the bike:
Meh, I'll order this and install it when I get a chance, maybe when I change the oil. No rush.
Let's see, shipping options, not in a hurry, standard shipping for cheapest will do.
Submit Order
Confirm Order
Dang, why isn't it here yet?!?!?!?!

:D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am interested to hear your impression of the change.
It’ll be good I know. M4 delivers always. I’ve raced on them for almost 20 years. Their pipes deliver the best sound and power.

If the FTECU mapping is not great I’ll just load the thing up and haul it to my dyno tuner who tunes my racebikes. I would use him up front but he’s 489 miles away, I’ll always take the cheaper option first then pay later lol by the way he uses FTECU exclusively so he knows their product.

Big old pig GSX is gonna rip though after this. Suspensions still a pile of garbage lol

·
Registered
486 Posts
I love the look of the M4 with the muffler essentially in the stock location....but from the vids i have seen, it is quite loud.

I like the power a header gives, but in a town with too many cops, I value stealth too ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I love the sound of a M4 I have already removed the quiet insert on my muffler and it is not even on the bike yet. I don't worry to much about it being to loud as I don't open it up around town on my bikes. I have a nice M4 full race system on my GSX-R600 complete with carbon end can. It sounds awesome and the outlet hole on the end can is huge!

As for where to buy I suggest Riders Discount and call TJ directly I got mine cheaper than the online $856 pricing advertised all over the net. Here is TJs direct number 866-937-6644 ext 817 And it shipped directly to me in 3 days so M4 must have them in stock now. I am in MS and M4 is in Dallas.

Sales pic of my GSX-R600 M4 pipe :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We need details! In what way? If you did it yourself, how was the installation? Where did you buy?
Installation looks to be very easy, easier than most I've done. Plenty of room with radiator laid forward and tied up. The GSX header down pipe design much easier than the design on the race series headers that go on the GSXRs which use a separate spigot which connects directly to head and then you slide down pies onto that then held on with springs. The GSX is similar to the stock header design which is much easier to work with using two hands. I literally had my GSX naked stripped down in an hour and that included SET motor removal and full pipe removed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
We need details! In what way? If you did it yourself, how was the installation? Where did you buy?
Just smooth roll on power and noticeably quicker. Not day and night but very noticeable and satisfying. The cat is gone and the engine can breath now. That flat spot I was feeling between 4500-6500 rpm vanished and sound is insane! Between the throttle tamer, booster plug and pipes, that is the Trifecta right there. Oh, also added a K&N air filter.

I bought them through my local Suzuki shop because they matched online prices. They only charged me 1.5 hours of labor to install them. I know the tech who did the job and he has my confidence. I figured the bike is under warranty, let them do it so if something goes wrong it's not on me.

Ron

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exhaust is on the bike. Wasn’t to bad at all. It’s a little tight on the rear mount at rear set. Best way to work with this is loosen rearset then attach the muffler bolt to rear set and line up underneath mount then tighten it all up at same time. Header install into cyl head just the usual pull, push pry into place and bolt up but leave it all loose until you get the rear mounts lined up.

Can’t crank it yet my ecu is en route back to me. So all I can do now is look at it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Stromer, check out Metric Cycles in Argyle. They are close to you and can do same day service. I have been talking with them about doing mine, but they are much closer to you than to me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks, which tune did you order? Has anyone else here used them and posted a review?
FYI, I had originally contacted them about sending my ECU to them and they were the ones who wrote me back suggesting I use the Metric Garage. I figure if they are willing to vouch for them, then they must know their stuff. MC offered to let me make an appointment and come in and get it flashed while I waited, so you could try that. No sense in being without your bike for over a week.

In the end, I sucked it up and bought the flashing kit myself from ftecu. I figure, if I flash again if/when I get an exhaust, it's paid for itself by then.

Message from FTECU to me:
We have a dealer called The Metric Garage out of Argyle Texas. They are close to you and I would see if they could do a flash for you so you don’t have to ship the ECU out and wait for longer. Their phone number is 972-849-6351.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts