GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Commuting yesterday afternoon and was t boned by a provisional driver in a little Hyundai getz. I saw it coming and moved to the free lane but it wasn't enough. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't made an evasive maneuver.

Only made contact with my Yoshi R11 can. Ruined it and bent the mounting bracket but not a scratch other than that. Kept my cool and stayed upright. Took 12 weeks last time to special order the Yoshi from Japan so let's see how long the wait is. Bike is still fine so at least I can ride. Stay safe folks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Phew!
That was lucky to escape with only a scrape. If the impact was hard enough to bend the bracket I would also have a very close look at the Hanger and make sure the force hasn't gone up into the seat frame too.
Can you put the original silencer on whilst you are waiting for a replacement?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew!
That was lucky to escape with only a scrape. If the impact was hard enough to bend the bracket I would also have a very close look at the Hanger and make sure the force hasn't gone up into the seat frame too.
Can you put the original silencer on whilst you are waiting for a replacement?
Lucky indeed. I did keep the stock can however I don't think I'll bother with it. It's still working fine it's just cosmetic. I do love the Yoshi so I think I'll replace it with the same.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I share your worry in that it could be a lot worse. 5 years back a driver in a ute decided to last second U turn and put me and the bike off the road for 7 months.

A fortnight ago I had a whoopsie with the GSX-S that cost me $500 excess out of a $1750 bill of damages.
I took the bike off the paddock stand in the garage and didn't have the side stand down. Over she went on the left side, vertical one moment, horizontal the next. No bounce though.

The handlebar replacement is $488, ouch. To look at it straight after, the damage looked slight; the LHS mirror had slowed the fall as it jammed on a strong wall shelf and a plastic box on it.
The paddock stand saved the rear end. The magneto cover got scuffed up, but was easily replaced.
The repaired bike rides fine now, but we arn't allowed to joy ride (just around the block). Money fixes everything, well most things.
I am too embarrassed to post up the picture. :cry:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Commuting yesterday afternoon and was t boned by a provisional driver in a little Hyundai getz. I saw it coming and moved to the free lane but it wasn't enough. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't made an evasive maneuver.

Only made contact with my Yoshi R11 can. Ruined it and bent the mounting bracket but not a scratch other than that. Kept my cool and stayed upright. Took 12 weeks last time to special order the Yoshi from Japan so let's see how long the wait is. Bike is still fine so at least I can ride. Stay safe folks. View attachment 43237
Good thing you were looking, otherwise it may have been worse. This is my fear when I see a car near me, specially if he/she is wearing glasses or is making weird movements.
I'm glad you are fine. Bike parts or the bike itself can be replaced but not a our legs, our arms or worse our lives.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I share your worry in that it could be a lot worse. 5 years back a driver in a ute decided to last second U turn and put me and the bike off the road for 7 months.

A fortnight ago I had a whoopsie with the GSX-S that cost me $500 excess out of a $1750 bill of damages.
I took the bike off the paddock stand in the garage and didn't have the side stand down. Over she went on the left side, vertical one moment, horizontal the next. No bounce though.

The handlebar replacement is $488, ouch. To look at it straight after, the damage looked slight; the LHS mirror had slowed the fall as it jammed on a strong wall shelf and a plastic box on it.
The paddock stand saved the rear end. The magneto cover got scuffed up, but was easily replaced.
The repaired bike rides fine now, but we arn't allowed to joy ride (just around the block). Money fixes everything, well most things.
I am too embarrassed to post up the picture. :cry:
I don't want to see those pics. I cringed reading your story. Glad it's all back together again. At least I'm riding to work 5 days a week still. 80km round trip on nice country roads for the most part.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thing you were looking, otherwise it may have been worse. This is my fear when I see a car near me, specially if he/she is wearing glasses or is making weird movements.
I'm glad you are fine. Bike parts or the bike itself can be replaced but not a our legs, our arms or worse our lives.
I hear you. I predicted what would have happened but it's hard to fathom how quickly it all plays out. She was a provisional driver, also Asian. Not pointing out stereotypes.....Just facts :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hear you. I predicted what would have happened but it's hard to fathom how quickly it all plays out. She was a provisional driver, also Asian. Not pointing out stereotypes.....Just facts :p
You are not being stereotype! This is a fact. I have been hit 3 times already by an Asian person. Two times I was just stopped waiting on a red light and they just stomped herself in the rear of my truck bending the bumper and bed ($7K worth of damaged) and the third time I was stopped in the 5 fwy due to bumper to bumper traffic (stop & go driving condition). This lady was texting and did not see that the traffic stopped and hit my car and pushed me into the car in front of me ($10K worth of damage). Of course, I made their insurance pay very generously.

I'm still waiting on a generous settlement from the latest car accident. ;)(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts