GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are you guys doing your first oil change? I don't know if I should wait until the 600 mile service or do one earlier. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Leave it manufacturers spec, just cost you money otherwise.
I service my bike once a year regardless (as I do so few miles here in bonny scotland) so it sits over the winter months with fresh oil in.

Reactions: bamco

·
Registered
593 Posts
What would be the reason to change it early?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would be the reason to change it early?
I read on other motorcycle forums that it's good to change oil after about 100 miles due to the new parts breaking in and leaving metal shavings in oil. This is the first brand new bike I've ever had and just want to make sure I do things right.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those wee Suzuki guys have been at this a while so if they say 600 miles I am happy with that. Don't over think it and enjoy the bike. GSXR engines in any guise are pretty much bullet proof so unless you are some kind of stunt rider or ride everywhere flat out from the get go you are not going to damage the engine. Just as a matter of interest the other motorcycle web site wasn't Motul or Castrol sponsored was it? : - ).

Just asking! : - )

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also didnt really stick to the running in schedule either, dont get me wrong I didnt cane it but used it when I had too

·
Registered
515 Posts
Changed my oil at 100 miles and it sparkled like metal flake paint when stirred with a flashlight on it. Do what you want as everyone has an opinion but I know my oil change at 100 miles sure did not hurt the engine. I also want so far as to install a filter mag so at 600 miles I can see how much more metal there is when I cut the filter open.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Never changed the oil earlier that the manufacturers break in period, but it certainly isn't going to do any harm (except for your wallet maybe) :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Never changed the oil earlier that the manufacturers break in period, but it certainly isn't going to do any harm (except for your wallet maybe) :)
If a $35 oil change is all I have to risk for potentially improved engine, transmission, and clutch life, it seems like a no brainer to me. Just blows me away that people worry about $35 on an $11,000 machine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did exactly that with my previous bike, which has now done 115,000 ks, uses no oil & will still run up to 260 kph. So I have done the same with my GXS 1000F. Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Whilst I agree with what has been previously said and changing your oil early will cause no harm what-so-ever. Some manufactures are so sure of their engines and machining tolerances they don't bother recommending a first oil change and leave them to the normal service interval. BMW for one. They have built and tested so many engines they feel it is unnecessary.

Just a thought. Personally, Suzuki are still recommending it for this bike so I'll be sticking to it.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is the part of the article i posted that made the most sense to me....

Q: What's the third most common cause of engine problems ???
A: Not changing the oil soon enough after the engine is first run !!

Change Your Oil Right Away !!
The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the transmission gears, and oil pump etc...

·
Registered
726 Posts
This is the part of the article i posted that made the most sense to me....

Change Your Oil Right Away !!
The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the transmission gears, and oil pump etc...
Makes sense... Also heard a long time ago the factory put in really crap oil as they do with the hydroponic fluid..!!..:eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Makes sense... Also heard a long time ago the factory put in really crap oil as they do with the hydroponic fluid..!!..:eek:
Why would they do that? I'm pretty sure they don't want to have to fix the engines under warranty.
Um 'hydroponic fluid' ? I dont think so.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Why would they do that? I'm pretty sure they don't want to have to fix the engines under warranty.
Um 'hydroponic fluid' ? I dont think so.
I mean brake fluid doh... cheapo oil only has to last 600 miles...;)
Mind you I was told this from a Suzuki trained mechanic about 25 years ago...!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I changed my oil at 100km and will be changing it by the book from there. The reason i did this is based on experience. When a brand new engine is run for the first 100 km several things are happening inside the engine such as seating the rings, wearing minute imperfections etc.. this does tend to result in little bits of metal clumps of grease used in the building process etc. floating around in the oil over and above the normal. I believe removing this early is an advantage to the engine and results in more chance of less damage/ wear caused by this swarf floating about. In the past (NOT the GSX-s) i have also found the odd bit of packing and other factory junk that's found its way inside during the manufacturing process. To put it simply the cost of the oil (cost nothing as the dealer knows me and supplied the additional oil at no extra cost) and the small amount of time it took me was worth the peace of mind. Note this does not invalidate the warranty or anything as it is over and above the recommended service. Also factor in the fact i plan on keeping this bike for at least the next 5 years to me it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd like to see the data that leads to this 'league table of engine problems'

As mattnz says, it's not in any bike manufacturers interest to set themselves up for warranty claims as they cost money and reputation. The way it comes out of the factory is the way it should be according to their maintenance schedule.

I know the stresses are different, but consider that my last three cars have had their first oil change at ~20k miles and covered over 300k miles between them without issue, I'm sure I wouldn't have seen any benefit in changing any of the fluids before the manufacturers recommendation. I remember when my cars used to be in every other month for a 6000 mile oil change :eek:

I'm not saying that changing the oil early is a bad thing, but sweeping statements like the above are meaningless to me unless backed up up defendable data.

On the CB forum, peeps were forever asking if they could remove the cat and change the exhaust without fitting a PCV and you always had the same old response 'if you don't fit a PCV you'll damage the engine'. Truth is, there were many owners that did this without fitting a PCV without problems and no one could cite any real life examples of damage caused by fitting a straight through system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd like to see the data that leads to this 'league table of engine problems'

As mattnz says, it's not in any bike manufacturers interest to set themselves up for warranty claims as they cost money and reputation. The way it comes out of the factory is the way it should be according to their maintenance schedule.

I know the stresses are different, but consider that my last three cars have had their first oil change at ~20k miles and covered over 300k miles between them without issue, I'm sure I wouldn't have seen any benefit in changing any of the fluids before the manufacturers recommendation. I remember when my cars used to be in every other month for a 6000 mile oil change :eek:

I'm not saying that changing the oil early is a bad thing, but sweeping statements like the above are meaningless to me unless backed up up defendable data.

On the CB forum, peeps were forever asking if they could remove the cat and change the exhaust without fitting a PCV and you always had the same old response 'if you don't fit a PCV you'll damage the engine'. Truth is, there were many owners that did this without fitting a PCV without problems and no one could cite any real life examples of damage caused by fitting a straight through system.
No doubt about that. The fact is Suz or the dealer have to put a JASO-MA spec oil in when new, which rest assured means it's an oil that meets the specifications, which means it will hold up well to the rigors of riding for the length of recommended oil change intervals.

It's quite ridiculous to think some crap oil is put in a new engine. Every oil thread I read on motorcycle forums just makes my head spin with misinformation. Plenty information at the link below to get a fundamental understanding of motorcycle lubrication, but you will also have to dig through a bit of misinformation. But there are a number of posters who have spent their careers in oil R&D.

Motorcycles and Motorcycle Lubrication | Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
I grew up next to the guy who built/raced this Chevelle and he always advocated running in a motor how you plan on using it!
My Integra Type-r and many sports cars come with synthetic oil straight from the factory. That tells you they don't need much "break-in" since machining is so far advanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzcFbUuDWQ

(nice burnout.. :p )

1 - 20 of 36 Posts