GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fella's just picked up the gsx s1000fa yestarday and i was hovering around the internet for breaking in process , i came across a thread where they were taking about changing the engine oil after the fast 20-30km mark for the best engine life in the breaking in process . But according to the manufacturer book it says wait till 1000km(600miles) for the first engine oil check. So, my question is what have you guys done for the first oil change? Btw am not going with the dealer for the first service becoz they are just a riffoff of $300AUD so have you guys used any K&N oil filter (i couldnt find one)

·
Registered
974 Posts
There is a thread on the top of the second page under discussions that i started that you might get some info from.

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-general-discussion/22505-running-bike.html

I have just finished running mine and its in for a service on Monday and i just stuck with the same oil for the 1000k's as recommended, i was overthinking it and worried also i think but in the end i just decided to ride it easy for the 1000k not revving it above 5-6k and then i plan to change the oil out at about 3000k again myself and then i generally service mine each year about September just before the good weather kicking in, about 5000k's
I did some of the great ocean road running mine in and if i had to do it again i would ride the full course of it twice and would be very satisfied it was run in perfect so if you have a good twisty area ride it all day :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Suzuki say 1000Klms. They design and build the engines so I'd stick to their way of doing things. It won't hurt to change the oil but why bother you're only wasting money in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wish these beak in threads would die. Just use the search function on this site. This has been discussed more than once.

·
Registered
863 Posts
A 30km oil change? Lol. Just go by the manual. The engineers who design and build your engine know what is required.

·
Registered
299 Posts
True, but if you changed it at 25 miles you would have seen the same thing. So you have to ask yourself, how early is too early and inconvenient?

I did my first change at 5k with Suzuki filter. Rode the bike like I normally would except no full throttle starts and kept it under 7k.

I wouldn't put too much thought into the break in process. After all, most of you aren't going to keep your bike past 10,000 miles. Most sport bikes don't see 30,0000 miles because they get crashed and totaled before that.

If you're looking to get 100,000 miles out of your bike, then you bought the wrong bike. LOL!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just picked mine up this week from its first service and I asked the mechanic about this and he said that bike manufactures added additives to help run in the cams and components thus the reason this amount of Distance approximately

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gixxus, you should expect to see that from new parts. I work in aviation and when new parts are used, Gearbox etc we expect break-in fuzz in the oil. It's normal for that metal to be around during the break in period but if you want to throw away money change the oil and filter whenever you feel like....there is just no need to though.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why do so many bike owners fret over a $35 oil change at 25 to 100 miles? Factories are not exactly clean rooms and any newly machined product has accelerated initial wear. It hurts nothing to change it early and has potentially large benefits from more power to longer life. I just don't get it. It is the ABSOLUTE cheapest insurance on your bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Gixxus, you should expect to see that from new parts. I work in aviation and when new parts are used, Gearbox etc we expect break-in fuzz in the oil. It's normal for that metal to be around during the break in period but if you want to throw away money change the oil and filter whenever you feel like....there is just no need to though.
Because I subscribe to this Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power vs some desk jockey engineer writing an owners manual. BTW, if your in aviation you should also mention that there are ferrous particulate sensors to mitigate lubricant life and way more stringent service intervals. I would think someone in aviation would be for an early lubricant change. I also run a Filtermag because they have data to prove increased engine life on service engines by catching particles a filter will not get. Kind of like an early oil change. Engines | FilterMag International I really wish people would come with research to these threads instead of conjecture.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like I said mate, you do what you like but it's just a mainstream engine we have in the GSXs. The oil change intervals are adequate and the life of the engine will be longer than most of us will own the bike if we look after it.
Yes the service intervals in Aviation are more frequent but our engines moving parts are spinning at 55,000+ rpm on a compressor and operating at very high temps 780C. Anyway I'm not getting into this, I'll stick to what the manufacturer instructs the same as we do with aircraft turbines. We don't just change the way the manufacturer says to do it in aviation. They know best in my opinion.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi everyone, doing my first oil change soon, just wanted to know what the recommended oil capacity for filter and oil is, does anyone have an idea or a workshop manual with the info? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's in your bike manual I am sure, just buy 4 litres and use the sight glass is the safest way

Reactions: Gixxus

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's not bad to follow manufacturers recommendations. It just may not be best, depending on what you are looking for. If you want engine's very optimal power and efficiency (like I do), go for an early oil change, throw away the manufacturer's manual, and redline the thing once fully warmed up on day-1. That's how they build race car engines for maximal performance. For example, your pistons rings have to sit right and tight. Your only chance to that is with some WOT during the very firsts few miles. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation, and you already passed your window. You also want minimal wear from metals going around. Ideally, every engine would get inspected meticulously at assembling and there would be none. But since these are casted aluminum production engines, there will be a significant amount. You can limit the amount of damage though.

Sure the engine will still last you very long no matter what breaking-in procedure you follow. It will very likely be really reliable. These are Jap. But will it be as efficient as it could have been? If you want to extract every HP or get optimal fuel economy, etc. from your engine, then you'd have to go out of the norm. And the nice thing is that it's really not expensive to do so. To me, the early oil change price is much worth it. And the other good thing ... it's much cheaper than any other after market parts people put in to get more powa... ;)

You also have to ask yourself what's in the best interest of the manufacturer here. All they really want is sell bikes and that their bike stay reliable during the warranty period. They don't care about the 2-4 HP you could get from optimizing things. I do. For having broken-in 2 car engines much differently (yes i went through 3 engines on a same car with ... unlucky circumstances), I can tell that the one that I applied this technique was much stronger than the other. It was also burning virtually no oil. I was really impressed by that. Most engine at least consumes a little bit of oil over time. My 2 other similar engines were. A little bit. I am sold on it.. from personal experience. Of course I have done so through 100s of engines.

I would also hold on mineral oil for quite a few miles. An engine needs some wear to loosen up a little bit. Again... for optimal efficiency. Synthetic oil is too soft on metal while breaking in. No synthetic oil will ever go in my machines before at least 10-20k KMs. Ok, for a bike, I may go with 10k-ish only. :) Def. not before. Suggesting to put synthetic at 1000 Km is definitely not a wise recommendation IMO. You should run away from the dealers suggesting so.

I definitely listen up (nod and and smiled) to every step the seller was suggesting me to do when I picked up the bike. While he was saying to gradually start rev-ing harder at XXXX kms, I was thinking to myself ... sure, I'm doing this in 10-15 minutes from now after everything gets properly warmed up! ;)

Of course this type of break-in procedure and early oil change go along very well.

Now, to each is own of course.. But it's good that people are aware of another way! :) Peace!

·
Registered
340 Posts
My understanding is that new motorcycles initially come with "break-in oil" which is a special type of oil with additives designed to assist in the break in process. If you replace this oil with regular oil too early, you are doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the oil they use from the factory at 0 miles is dyno oil, aka non synthetic. The pistons and cylinders will "seat" within 100 miles, which are the most critical miles. After several heat cycles everything settles in. After 500 miles I would say the motor is fully "worn in" and you can use whatever oil you want, including synthetic. That is my 02

·
Registered
40 Posts
service

Hi fella's just picked up the gsx s1000fa yestarday and i was hovering around the internet for breaking in process , i came across a thread where they were taking about changing the engine oil after the fast 20-30km mark for the best engine life in the breaking in process . But according to the manufacturer book it says wait till 1000km(600miles) for the first engine oil check. So, my question is what have you guys done for the first oil change? Btw am not going with the dealer for the first service becoz they are just a riffoff of $300AUD so have you guys used any K&N oil filter (i couldnt find one)
I've heard that if you do not at least do the first service with the Authorised Suzuki dealer (Australia) there is a strong chance your two year warranty will be void - can someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts