GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GT Plus, Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Black GT+ Tues. Of course No Panniers. There on back order, maybe Sept, I'm told. I moved up to the GT, from an FZ1, because I wanted cruise, a quick shifter and GPS. The GPS availability was the deal maker over the Ninja 1000sx that my 45 Yo daughter has and loves. Not being to great with electronics, it will be a while before I get into My Spin and the onscreen navigation.
So what did I think. Its really is a great package. Light feel. Easy to handle. Seems very quick within break in restrictions. I'm 6'0 and with the standard screen I am in some turbulent air around my helmet. The Dunlap tires are not awe inspiring. I have more tread left on my Road 5's after 10k than these do new. I am gonna be really skittish the first time on wet roads. Here in Fl. we get downpours and the tread does not look aggressive enough to channel water away. Another thing I didn't like was the non adjustable clutch lever. I don't like the lever that far away from the grips. The clutch itself is wonderful. Very easy pull and it is easy to launch the bike. The Quick shifter is a work of art. Think I am gonna really gonna enjoy this bike . It is a machine...
Now for the WTF? I have enclosed a picture of the left control housing mounted on the handle bar. There appears to be a threaded machine screw protruding near the front of the housing by the dimmer switch. Do others have this? Any ideas why its there?
Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
900 Posts
No mine does not have that. However that part was installed by your dealer at assembly out of the crate. They have somehow screwed up because that it it suppose to be like that. Everything on the handlebars including the bats themselves is installed by the dealerships. Windscreen included.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just looked at mine the screw comes in from bottom but that top part is capped similar to the one in pic on the rear of housing in pic. Looks to me like they lost the correct screw and only had a longer one to go in the hole but it was to long so they drilled out the cap part. That is just not right and I would be pissed at dealer. This is a 100% screw up on dealers part and that part will be hard and expensive to come by as it is the control for just about everything on this bike.

·
Registered
2022 GT Plus, Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looked at mine the screw comes in from bottom but that top part is capped similar to the one in pic on the rear of housing in pic. Looks to me like they lost the correct screw and only had a longer one to go in the hole but it was to long so they drilled out the cap part. That is just not right and I would be pissed at dealer. This is a 100% screw up on dealers part and that part will be hard and expensive to come by as it is the control for just about everything on this bike.
So I went to the dealers today. I showed the screw to the service manager. He looks up his assembly instructions and discovers that the part which they do assemble, comes with the screws already in the part (captured screws?).There are 4 screws, 3 shorter and one longer. Apparently the tech who installed the housing, oriented it 180 deg. off. Of course we can't check with the tech cause the dealership fired him because he has problems showing up. Service manager will replace the part. Next issue, he does not have a part list for the bike yet, so it is gonna be awhile. Note to self here NEXT TIME DONT BUY A BRAND NEW MODEL!. Anyway he was extremely upset about this and I believe he will make it right.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I had the same thing happen on a brand new FZ-07. The clutch engagement switch was not plugged in at the bars. Is that a Yamaha thing? Well, I guess not if Suzi does it too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Agree on risk of buying a "first year" model iteration. I'm thinking of passing on this...and in any case my pre-order which was due here in June isn't yet here and the dealer doesn't have a clue when it will be. Could be fortuitous, as it's given me time to read all these reports detailing issues with the bike. Sorry to hear about these, though...it's an aggravation to a new owner, I'm sure.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Dealer screw up assembly issues happens on all models not just first year ones. My assembly by a qualified tech was flawless. I back checked his work and everything was lined up per the manual. Keyed my bags without a hitch as well.

Reactions: BEARR

·
Registered
2022 GT Plus, Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree on risk of buying a "first year" model iteration. I'm thinking of passing on this...and in any case my pre-order which was due here in June isn't yet here and the dealer doesn't have a clue when it will be. Could be fortuitous, as it's given me time to read all these reports detailing issues with the bike. Sorry to hear about these, though...it's an aggravation to a new owner, I'm sure.
I have no clue as to who, or the why of the protracted delivery schedule of your bike. I didn't decide on mine till this May. It was reassigned from one the dealership was schedule to get for their inventory. I do think the bike is really worth waiting for however. My daughters' Ninja 1000 SX feels bigger and has a plusher ride. This bike is sportier.
Dealer screw up assembly issues happens on all models not just first year ones. My assembly by a qualified tech was flawless. I back checked his work and everything was lined up per the manual. Keyed my bags without a hitch as well.

·
Registered
2022 GT Plus, Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no clue as to who, or the why of the protracted delivery schedule of your bike. I didn't decide on mine till this May. It was reassigned from one the dealership was schedule to get for their inventory. I do think the bike is really worth waiting for however. My daughters' Ninja 1000 SX feels bigger and has a plusher ride. This bike is sportier.
I learned another concern about my bike today. I attempted to make a left across two oncoming lanes of traffic and I stalled the bike. Now I am sitting in the traffic lane . Now big issue dump the clutch, and hit start right? Wrong.. What I learned the hard way is that the bike MUST be in neutral. I have been ridding for over 60 years and that's a first for me. Fortunately, the oncoming cars slowed while I figured it out, found neutral, and got re-fired.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I learned another concern about my bike today. I attempted to make a left across two oncoming lanes of traffic and I stalled the bike. Now I am sitting in the traffic lane . Now big issue dump the clutch, and hit start right? Wrong.. What I learned the hard way is that the bike MUST be in neutral. I have been ridding for over 60 years and that's a first for me. Fortunately, the oncoming cars slowed while I figured it out, found neutral, and got re-fired.
Wait...what? Must be in neutral? Every bike I've had you could pull in the clutch and hit the starter button. But the GT has to be in neutral? Interesting...

·
Registered
2022 GT Plus, Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait...what? Must be in neutral? Every bike I've had you could pull in the clutch and hit the starter button. But the GT has to be in neutral? Interesting...
Would someone who has a GT verify this? Maybe it is just mine?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts