GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All .. Well had me first ride today on the beast... Have noted I'm going to need a better rear shock .... Didn't really notice the throttle problem, but will still fit my PC5 as I noticed a little flat spot around 5/6k rpm...Gearbox is the best I've ever used.... front end not bad at all ... front brake not bad but room for improvement... Handling best I've ever had very confidence inspiring.... comfort and riding position very good... don't like the tyres Pirelli's or Metzler's going on asap.. Will all get better as the miles rack up... But I love this bike...:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice report Tony. I was unable to get out on mine today which was a shame as the sun was shining. I'd be really interested to hear what you think about the ease of fitting of the PC5 and results after.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice report Tony. I was unable to get out on mine today which was a shame as the sun was shining. I'd be really interested to hear what you think about the ease of fitting of the PC5 and results after.
Yep will do ol lad...:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why the rear shock? What have you noticed?

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I first rode my bike, the shock was lacking any rebound dampening, which would nearly launch me right off the bike after I hit a bump. After I turned the rebound adjustment screw
A full 1/2 turn, the shock smoothed out completely.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi All .. Well had me first ride today on the beast... Have noted I'm going to need a better rear shock .... Didn't really notice the throttle problem, but will still fit my PC5 as I noticed a little flat spot around 5/6k rpm...Gearbox is the best I've ever used.... front end not bad at all ... front brake not bad but room for improvement... Handling best I've ever had very confidence inspiring.... comfort and riding position very good... don't like the tyres Pirelli's or Metzler's going on asap.. Will all get better as the miles rack up... But I love this bike...:D

I think you have put for finger on it in terms of the positives and shortcomings. I have had mine for almost 3months now and 3900km later and I'm basically on the same page as you. Although, I'm enjoying the standard tire in the dry weather, but think its not great for wet weather; and I am also more comfortable with front brakes. But I also love this bike and its handling apart from the negatives.
:)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hi All .. Well had me first ride today on the beast... :D
About time!;)
Glad you enjoyed it Tony. Don't worry too much about the tires at the moment. The roads are still pretty cold and slippy and nothing is working too well out there yet. I've ridden with the Dunslops all winter, and to be honest, they haven't done a bad job considering the time of year. I'm also lucky enough to have had a couple of test rides in the warmth of August and September, so I know they work well given the right conditions.
Happy trails, get some more miles on her;)

:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
What's your weight? I tried a quarter turn but still a bit bumby.
When I first rode my bike, the shock was lacking any rebound dampening, which would nearly launch me right off the bike after I hit a bump. After I turned the rebound adjustment screw
A full 1/2 turn, the shock smoothed out completely.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Vnuh, I went a half turn. A quarter turn wasn't enough. I went in small increments each time until I finally found the right amount.

There was such a lack of rebound dampening, on my first ride, that she nearly threw me off going over an extremely bumpy section of the highway near the airport...where a lot of trucks drive through. It was pretty scary at 110MPH. I was going to bring the bike back and get something else. Scared the living sh-t out of me.

But once dialed in, the bike is smooth as can be and nailed to the road. I can weave in and out of traffic at 110 without worrying about road conditions and it's smooth as glass.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks. Let me try to squeeze in a bit more.
Vnuh, I went a half turn. A quarter turn wasn't enough. I went in small increments each time until I finally found the right amount.

There was such a lack of rebound dampening, on my first ride, that she nearly threw me off going over an extremely bumpy section of the highway near the airport...where a lot of trucks drive through. It was pretty scary at 110MPH. I was going to bring the bike back and get something else. Scared the living sh-t out of me.

But once dialed in, the bike is smooth as can be and nailed to the road. I can weave in and out of traffic at 110 without worrying about road conditions and it's smooth as glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts