GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed first track day at Chuckwalla Raceway in California with open session format. (no time limit. track open all day for unlimited # of laps) Bike prep was super easy. Removed mirrors & popped the front seat off, pulled fuses for head light and tail light, removed 4 bolts for tail piece taped the headlight taillight and bike was track ready. Lowered pressure in stock Dunlop tires 29 front 28 rear. Did not touch suspension and TC was set on level one. Did 120 hard track miles before fuel lite came on. GSX-S could out-pull majority of Ducatis and Aprillas coming out of corners. replaced footpegs w pegs from my gsxr1k without the long extensions so had no issues w ground clearance. No aches or pains at the end of the day of hard riding. Awesome Bike!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
replaced footpegs w pegs from my gsxr1k without the long extensions so had no issues w ground clearance. No aches or pains at the end of the day of hard riding. Awesome Bike!!!
Nice photo. Do you have any photos on the replaced footpegs?
Track season is over here in scandinavia as the temperature is below zero celsius in the mornings. Next year I will take my GSXS F to trackdays and are intrested in your setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First trackday W GSX-S

Running down long straight @ apprx 145mph..downshifting..waaa! waaa! waaa!..slam on brakes for a tight 30mph uphill left turn then Hard on the gas on an uphill off camber crest right hand turn which drops back down leading to a gentle left, I saw my TC lite flicker three times near the end of the day. I suspect my tires were knackered. I was grinning & thought was pretty cool. No issues with suspension on stock settings. I weigh 185lbs. I will post pics of PSR brand footpegs soon. I like them because the edges are sharp and dig in your boot for leverage and security at track pace...hope this info helps....

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Woww...funday :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Awesome writeup. Good to hear what our bike will do on a real track. I've done "Chuck" a few times and was just talking about riding there again just this morning with a co-worker. Rode the GSXS at Angeles Crest yesterday (first time ever) and kept things "safe". NEED TO unleash this beast!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
nice review Rickey, have been watching this site for a while now and what you have said has made me sure i want this bike, which i knew relay anyhow lol, only prob is im not getting it till end of feb but there might be a few nearly new bargains around then i hope , boy its hard to wait that long lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
i did a track day too this year, well sort of track it was a circuit made out on a airbase runway, still got to give it some beans! i could only get 142mph on the straight, just needed to be a bit braver out of the last corner i think :D then again it kept going round in my head that "i hadn't even paid the first finance payment on yet so don't bin it!!" i don't think my aerodynamics help much either being a big lad :( but i have just recently fitted the Suzuki screen so with that and me on a aerodynamics diet and being a bit braver out the last corner im hoping to hit 150mph, i did mess with the front suspension tho, i stiffened the front forks a bit due to heavy braking into the first corner it felt like it kept the rear a bit more planted, but may just be because i'm a bit heavy, i put in a pic for you all to have a laugh over :D this is what a bear looks like riding lol :D

P.S my headlight tape work isn't up to your standard, nice job :)

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
bungle, your bike looks kinda small. You must have gotten one of the small ones, lol. Thanks for the track day posts guys!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great stuff
I guess that's why we've bought them, to have fun on them.

I just wish I had the balls and confidence to ride on the edge, on a 10k machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great stuff
I guess that's why we've bought them, to have fun on them.

I just wish I had the balls and confidence to ride on the edge, on a 10k machine.
I feel you!

It's strange for me, I'll drag knee at any opportunity on the street on a expensive bike. For track duty though, no way! I'll stick to using my beater at the track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5065&stc=1&d=1447559011
Using as a Track bike at Hallett motor racing circuit I am an an instructor for the H.A.R.T program. So far I and the other instructors who ride many different bikes are impressed with the performance and value that Suzuki has given us. It almost as much fun as my Supermotard. Check out Hallet in Oklahoma and come join us.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great write-up. I'm not a track day kinda guy, but it's nice to know that I can, should I ever grow a pair....

·
Registered
85 Posts
my favorite track in socal, by far. nice photo, good to see the bike doing well at the track and someone with good bp too! i'm thinking of trading in my cb1000r for the gsx-s1000. quick question, the new pegs, did it change the ground clearance or just more grippy? if you removed those silly hero pegs atttached to the stock pegs would you have gotten the same ground clearance? i'm pretty tall and the bike fits just about right as it is but i'll be at the track with it a bunch next year if i buy it. here's me at chuckwalla, same turn, same direction :)

Completed first track day at Chuckwalla Raceway in California with open session format. (no time limit. track open all day for unlimited # of laps) Bike prep was super easy. Removed mirrors & popped the front seat off, pulled fuses for head light and tail light, removed 4 bolts for tail piece taped the headlight taillight and bike was track ready. Lowered pressure in stock Dunlop tires 29 front 28 rear. Did not touch suspension and TC was set on level one. Did 120 hard track miles before fuel lite came on. GSX-S could out-pull majority of Ducatis and Aprillas coming out of corners. replaced footpegs w pegs from my gsxr1k without the long extensions so had no issues w ground clearance. No aches or pains at the end of the day of hard riding. Awesome Bike!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes Rebobd,..you would get same ground clearance if you remove those hero bobs on stock pegs....I replaced stock pegs with PSR pegs which used the same pin and spring from stock peg..I gotta get around to posting pics of the PSR pegs...hope this helps....love the Caliphotography pics at Chuckwalla....too kool for school...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts