GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new GSX-S100OF, red, after selling my beloved SV650S and currently carrying out the 600 mile torture of running her in. Do you think it's needed these days with super accurate CAM? Even though I'm keeping the revs low, I'm loving the power and solid handling. 400 miles to go before I can let the beast off her leash.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome from Kent. I've just had the 600 mile service done and have indeed let it off the leash, it's fairly rapid!! Enjoy

·
Registered
533 Posts
There's a lot of contention regarding engine break-in period. The consensus I've seen amoungst persons who tend to have more technical insight is: slow and low is a holdover from older engine technology. There are some really good articles you can read associated with dyno break-in that will get into the details. Sorry, on phone, so no links. But, basically, the main point of break-in is to seat the piston rings.

There are three factors which significantly impact this: temperature, back-pressure, and cylinder/sleeve wear. You don't necessarily have to keep the RPMs low, but you must prevent the engine from experiencing very high temps for long duration. When revving the engine, you must allow the revs to drop under load (engine breaking) to maintain high back-pressure. And the break-in period is most critical in the first 20 or so miles, after this, very little additional wear occurs because of the extremely close tolerances and hardness of modern alloys. After that, you're good to let her rip (minding tire break-in). I've found some very detailed instructions on break-in, they're not too difficult to find.

Controversial topic, so I'd recommend doing your own research and making an informed choice. I talked to the a tech at the dealer about taking her to a dyno shop for break-in, his response "just rip out of here like you stole it, better yet, like you just bought a crotch rocket, that's about all the break-in that engine needs."

-Jaren

·
Registered
824 Posts
There's a lot of contention regarding engine break-in period. The consensus I've seen amoungst persons who tend to have more technical insight is: slow and low is a holdover from older engine technology. There are some really good articles you can read associated with dyno break-in that will get into the details. Sorry, on phone, so no links. But, basically, the main point of break-in is to seat the piston rings.

There are three factors which significantly impact this: temperature, back-pressure, and cylinder/sleeve wear. You don't necessarily have to keep the RPMs low, but you must prevent the engine from experiencing very high temps for long duration. When revving the engine, you must allow the revs to drop under load (engine breaking) to maintain high back-pressure. And the break-in period is most critical in the first 20 or so miles, after this, very little additional wear occurs because of the extremely close tolerances and hardness of modern alloys. After that, you're good to let her rip (minding tire break-in). I've found some very detailed instructions on break-in, they're not too difficult to find.

Controversial topic, so I'd recommend doing your own research and making an informed choice. I talked to the a tech at the dealer about taking her to a dyno shop for break-in, his response "just rip out of here like you stole it, better yet, like you just bought a crotch rocket, that's about all the break-in that engine needs."

-Jaren
USS, glad to have you on the board. Your posts are very intelligent and well written!

Stromer
Texas, USA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
completely off topic but sounds like you're not to far from me do you go to H cafe at all?
I never really go east when I go outo for a ride but will probably go there in the summer at some point. I live at RAF Brize Norton.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts