GSXS 1000 Forum banner

FreedomPenguins 2018 Gsx-s1000.

21K views 100 replies 16 participants last post by  FreedomPenguin 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some before and after pictures with a list of things changed from when I bought her and now. If anyone is curious about any of the products for themselves just post the question and I can help give you the location and info.

-ECU Flash
-ASV levers
-Puig mirrors
-Puig windscreen
-Evo radiator guard
-Integrated taillights
-Halo keyless gas cap
-Rizoma front turn signals
-Clear film on tank and sides
-Throttlemeister - throttle lock
-12 o clock labs speedometer fix
-T-rex frame sliders - no engraving
-Powder coated exhaust shield and exhaust tip
-Seat cowl color matched to bike - bought this off a member
-TST blockout plate for under tail (filled in and made the under tail flush)

#4 · (Edited)
I really like my throttlemeisters, ive had 3 sets of them on bikes. I will continue to buy them. I am posting a link of something that looks somewhat informative. Yeah their site isnt the best but the product is quality. I can take a pic closer up of mine later.

I have blue striping and smooth black ends on mine. Shorter ones *you can see them on my pics) (same as stock length pretty close) I had longer ones on my old bike but the bike was larger and looked good on it. Shorter ones on this bike look better.

(I didnt watch it im at work) but this looks probably demonstrative enough.

#5 ·
Had a set that came on my FZ1 Bee when I bought it and they were nice. Good and heavy to stop the vibes. I never really was able to cruise with them, seems it was always a smidge high or low, but I was able to put enough pressure on the grip that I could hold it steady with my hand with much less tension and that was nice. After I sold that bike I haven't bought them since. I do know some folks love them but for me they were just ok.

#8 · (Edited)
I just ride, let off throttle (don’t have fuel cut) so I am going same speed. I twist knob w my throttle hand a little til it grips a little, ornyou can go right

But I like it to freely move if I want to speed up or down you can make it hold it tightly or free moving or just barley hold it. When I don’t want to use it, I just twist it back to the off position. I don’t ever leave it on. I like free moving throttle for riding

I can twist throttle perfectly fine but if I let go, it holds it where I leave it. It’s not hard to do.

Yes, my speedo is 69.5mph via gps and enforcement signs @ 70mph. I programmed it to give me that little difference between 69-70.

I was the first one to have it made for our bike, the company lives down from me so we got it made for my bike. Contact them and you can get it

There’s a clip that unclip into speedo, you clip it into the speedo drd and that clips into it

Don’t know how, but it works

You ride your bike, get the actual speed it’s going via gps. I just went 65mph on bike, I looked at phone said going 65 held it there for a moment to confirm no changes, the bike was like 69 or something like that

You go to their calculator and punch the 2 numbers and it gives you a sequence of clicks to do on the machine. Bam. Fixed it does the difference like a computer, that gets displayed in speedo instead of the wrong number so the thing corrects the difference

I’m on phone sorry for crap text. I am not good at explaining. A good thing about this is, if you change gearing or anything like that. You can redo the process and change the algorithm offset and have a new corrected speed.

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

They don’t have the site updated since they made mine but they do have the correct wiring and all that, so call and ask. It isn’t cheap. I think I paid like 80-100 but it’s worth it.

I buy one for every bike, I cannot stand not knowing the speed I’m going. Don’t care if it’s only 7-9% it’s awful guessing and pacing cars

One ticket saved pays it off is my logic

#10 · (Edited)
I never saw this, I really like it. It definitely made the bike enjoyable to ride after going from gsxr to this, I was not happy with wind resistance. I ride highway 80% of time. It was unbearable to me at 70/75mph no windscreen. The puig was a beautiful and welcomed addition. I like the way it looks myself. My old bike had a puig, and it was clear, but had smoke on the bottom. does yours?

I went back because I dont actually look through it, unlike the gsxr. so black matched the dark theme of bike.

IMHO. I like it more with the windscreen than without (looks wise purely) its pretty sweet. look at my before/after photos and you can see its just blah without a screen. I think our bikes deserve a screen unless you ride all city/low speed areas. I also was against sliders, but here I am with a set and its grown on me.

Our taste change once we realize how useful something is.

#13 ·
That's nice. I've wrapped a few bike parts in the past but never considered doing the forks. I like it because I hate hate hate hate hate gold on bikes, especially my bikes. Hmmm, food for thought here.

#14 · (Edited)
#15 · (Edited)
I am thinking about yanking apart the bike and painting the tritan blue to grabber blue from the mustangs.

Heres my little photoshop someone did for me from the gsxs group of UK from fb, if anyone can make this a legit photo like professional photoshop I would throw them a few bucks. it would be nice to actually see a realistic photo to see how the light blue and gloss black contrast.

Any reason why I cant just yank off the blue pieces, go to a paint place, have them scuff, shoot and clear them? Will it hold up as well as the factory? id hope it would have the same level of gloss and everything.

the mustang looks sick blue and black, why wouldn't it look good on the bike is my question? its just an accent color vs the mustang being primarily blue. If I painted it, should I leave the Suzuki off the bottom panel? or put white letters back over the blue, or black Suzuki over the blue?

opinions welcomed! How much would you reckon it cost to shoot these pieces off the bike? also, how do I remove the headlight shroud (blue piece) is it easy? I know how to remove the whole front headlight assembly but I have not taken the fairing off the headlight piece before.

#16 ·
That'd be pretty cool. A good paint shop should do as well as factory. A bad paint shop, well, my wife's car was at a bad paint shop. Not as good as factory.

That blue is pretty good. You might also take a gander at the 2019 Toyota Voodoo blue. Similar but a tad darker. Seems to pop more, and they have black accents too for comparison.

#18 ·
Looks cool FP, a good painter's paint job will be better than stock. Look for someone who does high end cars (Ferrari, etc.)

Hard to say on the lower decal. black would match the bike, white would stand out more and look cool too.

The original 1981 Suzuki GS 1000S (1st Jap bike to have a small fairing) had a similar blue (and white)

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...UIDigB&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=f4JVs0ChIeBKcM:

#21 · (Edited)
That really is pretty. Lol I just think im going to wrap the blue pieces a lighter blue, and if I dislike them, I can always revert back. Its cheap, 60 dollars get me a massive roll and I have more than enough to do it a dozen times over. I was looking @ the paint on the bike, I didnt realize the tritan blue had blue speckle, I would have to get blue with speckle in it and I question it coming out anywhere as nice as OEM paint.

What sucks about our bikes is, GSXR's you can buy full fairing sets on eBay for cheap, yeah not as nice as rem but they aren't bad either some of them, no one seems to replicate gsxs fairings. I'd order a **** set with just the blue pieces painted for a few hundred bucks otherwise.

if I wrap it, and I end up falling in absolute love with a new lighter blue, maybe I would pay 400 (thats the estimates im getting in my area to paint all 7 pieces a color) with flake in it. but its too risky to do off the bat, rather do a cheaper alternative that can be reversed and try it.

Just ordered an 5x8 sized sheet of this for 55 bucks shipped 2 day shipping. I might wrap my scooter this blue too, if I like the color, maybe one day I will get the bike pieces sprayed with flake. if I hate it, will rip it off and forget it lol

#22 ·
The blue/red side piece isn't that expensive. About $30 from rockymountainmc Looks like the other parts are all over $100, but you could potentially order that one piece and have your painter paint it and them mount it and see how it looks, all finished, before sending off your actual parts.

#23 ·
cost efficiency though, this will give me a good idea of how I like light blue with my black, and im going to wrap my scooter as well, its a purple, would prefer a nice light blue on scooter. Mailing back and fourth, painting a piece, to end up painting other pieces, additional shipping. Could end up a lot more money than I ever fathomed.

Heck, I may really just enjoy the wrap as is. If I have extra and someone else wants the blue on their bike lol may even just give it to another member for them to do. 40sq feet seems like a lot of material

#24 ·
Oh yea, I just figured when you are ready to start, that would give you a really good idea of what the finished product would look like on the bike prior to sending all your stuff off and finding you don't like it.

#25 ·
Penguin, I forgot to say thanks for posting the pic of the red/black with black forks. As the gold forks are now discontinued and thus a collector's item adding immense value, and I kinda like the gold with the red/black paint scheme, I think I'll keep them as is.

Did you see (in the link I posted above) your idea of going with a lighter blue, Suzuki did 38 years ago!? So you're still keeping it Suzuki colors! Look forward to seeing the results when you get it done. I'm waiting for the satin black tank cover and headlight shroud for my red/black just ordered. Great idea to mix it up a little! Post pics!

#26 · (Edited)
Cool thing about the wrap, there’s a ton colors, blacks. Matte, gloss. Satins etc. metallic blacks flake blacks

And it’s a sticker, you ever change your mind can pull it off zero damage lol. Yeah, I ordered the stuff today. Will be posting pics once I attempt it.

How hard is it to remove the front shroud from headlight anyone? I’ve never removed the fairing off the piece.

Also, should I leave the Suzuki on bottom of bike if I like the color change? Part of me thinking removing it, only writing on bike would be gsxs1000. This was the paint chip today, it’s pretty. Went to vinyl place looked at some colors. This is what I chose

This post has been deleted
#28 ·
Think it’s going to look good or meh?
All depends on your skills. Some pieces will be harder than others and some will make you cuss, while others will turn out darn beautiful.

That silver piece between the seat and the tank is an odd color that doesn't match anything else on the bike. It kind of matches the side panels but it doesn't so I don't know what Yamaha was thinking. That was my trial piece and I was super happy with how it turned out.

But I did learn a lot and those inward curves are a huge pain. I'd really like to wrap the tank on my GSX-S but after watching videos of professionals do it, I'm pretty certain that I have neither the skills, nor the patience for it.

However, looking forward to seeing how yours turns out especially with that color.

Reactions: WhiteRR
#29 · (Edited)
Your bike looks way better with the wrap. Good call! I am going to attempt it when it arrives. I’m really wishful it looks slick. I bought 5x8 sheet for 40 something dollars. So i should have way more than enough for failure 10x over.

If I like the color on a few pieces I am wrapping it all, but I know I’ll habe to remove the Suzuki lettering to make look nice if so.

Should I put Suzuki back on it or leave it just solid blue?

#31 ·
Your bike looks way better with the wrap. Good call!
Thanks, I hated that odd silver. I actually hate silver in general but it was a good deal so I couldn't pass it up. The killer for wrapping it all is the mirrors. At over $100 each I could get black ones but then that bike is more of a tool for getting the job done and I don't care as much how it looks, except that one part. :D

Should I put Suzuki back on it or leave it just solid blue?
Easy decision to make here. Wrap it without, then see how it looks. Then keep it without for another week or so, then decide if you think it needs it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.